What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealer says...  (Read 5468 times)

kleinstagecomp

Dealer says...
« on: October 19, 2006, 05:33:49 pm »
not to buy a used hot tub because they have too many problems.   >:(  I'm pretty sure the guy is full of crap but it makes me wonder.  Should I have any reservations about buying a used (4-6 year old) Caldera or Hot Springs or Tiger River or CalSpa or Sundance, etc, etc?

We don't want to shell out the $6k+ for a new one.  We are first time buyers and want to try something cheaper to start off with.

If you were buying used, which manufacturers would you consider?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Dealer says...
« on: October 19, 2006, 05:33:49 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Dealer says...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 05:39:38 pm »
For a used spa you shouldn't pay more than $2500.

We use an independent delivery company.  He delivers many brands and moves spas for people.  He would say get a Hot Spring, based on the condition of the spas when he moves them.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 06:53:46 pm »
We struggled with the price as well when we started looking at tubs.  I just couldn't see shelling out $7K or whatever for a tub.  We looked at a Great Lakes for $3500, new, but we weren't too impressed with it, so we looked at Hot Spring Spas.  I soon realized that if we were to have a quality tub, backed by a sound warranty, we needed to spend more up front to save a lot down the road.  

I think the trick with buying used, is actually finding one that you like and you're confident with.  Around here, we really didn't have anywhere to go to look for used tubs.  

Check out the new ones as well and see what financing they offer.  You might be surprised and find yourself in a new tub.  Good luck and let us know how the search goes.  We ended up with a Hot Spring Jetsetter and we absolutely love it.  :)
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

kleinstagecomp

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:01:16 pm »
Spiderman,
We looked at the Great Lakes as well and we were also not impressed.  We have checked with the Hot Springs/Tiger River dealer here about new and financing options.  It wasn't much help.  They put us on their "list" to be called if any good trade-ins show up.  

Hottubdan,
We really like the Hot Springs and Tiger River line up.  I've seen alot of older (10+ years) in that price range.  What is the ideal age for a used tub.  I've heard "10 years is nothing for a ...." but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with a hot tub that old.  We were hoping for a 3-6 year old, but maybe we are dreaming if we think we can get that for $2500 (which is about where we want to be)

tileman

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:03:14 pm »
I was in the same boat as spiderman. I just bought my first spa for $6000. I'm telling you this because when I started shopping I had a set price of $4000, but as I started to educate myself on spas, I soon realized that having a quality tub with a quality warranty isn't in the cards for that price. You say your interested in used ones. I would never buy anything used again without a warranty, so I immediately began shopping for new ones and 7 weeks and a couple extra $$$$$ later I  found the one for me. I look at it like buying cars, sure you can find a decent used one for $5000 but by the time it's all said and done. That $5k turns to 6,7,8,9,.....  until sooner or later you will have forked out more in repairs than what it is really worth. Spend it now or spend it later is my advice as I have learned from my own mistakes. I have a new house,car, and spa due to my many problems with preowned anythings. :) Good luck and if you have anymore q's the people on this board are very knowledgable,experienced, and friendly and will be more than happy to help.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:17:15 pm by tileman »

kleinstagecomp

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:26:28 pm »
Interesting thoughts Tileman.  I guess I'm kind of the opposite.  I own a used home, a used car, a used truck, a used iPod, 3 used TV's, a used commercial lawn mower, and 2 used dogs from the local shelter and the only one I've ever had a problem with is the iPod.   ;D  I guess we all have different experiences that lead us to different decisions.

What hot tub did you end up buying?  Thanks for the input.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:58:37 pm »

Hottubdan,
We really like the Hot Springs and Tiger River line up.  I've seen alot of older (10+ years) in that price range.  What is the ideal age for a used tub.  I've heard "10 years is nothing for a ...." but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with a hot tub that old.  We were hoping for a 3-6 year old, but maybe we are dreaming if we think we can get that for $2500 (which is about where we want to be)

What part of the country do you live in?  A good place to look is craigslist.com.  Buy from a private party.  I think you should be able to find one ...4 to 7 years old anyway.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 11:20:54 pm »
I searched for months to find me the perfect used tub.  I wanted something fairly new, no older than 3 years and my budget was around $4.  I educated myself first, then looked daily on craigslist and the recycler.  There was quite a bit to choose from and if they were priced right (and in great shape) they usually sold same day or within a couple of days.  I actually missed out on a few because I thought I could wait till the weekend to look at them.  My advice, is to watch your area, get an idea of what things go for, and have your money ready.  My brother just got an 05 Jacuzzi 345 for I think it was $2500.  About 6 mo ago my friends got an 04 Artesian with full gazeebo and stuff for about $4k.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 12:50:05 am »
I think there is a lot of sense in what you are thinking.

I also think that you should be able to find a good used spa for less than $3K that will still have some good life left in it.

I would do what Brook says - keep some cash ready, check Craigslist daily - multilple times daily in fact - and jump on the deals.

I would try very hard not to buy any spa which you can't see full of hot water.

A dealer will charge you a bit more, but you can go back if there are problems. Even if they don't give you a warranty, you can at least ask them to include a careful check out before they deliver.

Here's Craigslist for your area:
http://columbus.craigslist.org/for/222579124.html

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 08:26:58 am »
Keep in mind that Marquis warrenties are transferrable
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

George

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 10:50:06 am »
not to buy a used hot tub because they have too many problems.   >:(  I'm pretty sure the guy is full of crap but it makes me wonder.  Should I have any reservations about buying a used (4-6 year old) Caldera or Hot Springs or Tiger River or CalSpa or Sundance, etc, etc?

We don't want to shell out the $6k+ for a new one.  We are first time buyers and want to try something cheaper to start off with.

If you were buying used, which manufacturers would you consider?

Thanks

You might want to check out COSTCO, they sell Hotsprings, Keys and Hydro-Spa online at discounted prices.  They won't be in your 2500 range but they will be new with a warranty.  They also won't be the same models you might get at a dealer.  Costco sometimes gets special made models just for them.  They should be getting their new instore model soon.  Last year their instore model was $3999 and had more features than the traditional big box retailers models.  They have a easy return policy, so you might be able to find a used tub someone has returned at a discount.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 11:04:38 am »
IHere's Craigslist for your area:
http://columbus.craigslist.org/for/222579124.html

He is between Cincinnati and Dayton, Does craigslist cover that area?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

kleinstagecomp

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 03:04:06 pm »
I've been checking craigslist and several different classified sections of newspapers in the following areas Dayton, Cinci, Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo, Akron, Indy, Ft Wayne, and Detroit.  Detroit, Cleveland, and Akron are stretching it, but I figure if I can find the right one it's worth a mini road trip.  I have a truck and trailer so transporting isn't much of an issue.  I found a 1.5year old Caldera Tahitian that is located about 5 miles from my house on ebay.  However, he has the starting bid at $4700 which is quite a bit more than we want to spend.  

I stopped at the Sundance dealer today and looked at a '96 Sundance Royale.  It was kept inside so it looked great, the pumps were replaced and so was the control panel.  They were wanting $2800 including setup, cover and steps, chemicals and a 90 day warranty.  $2800 for a 10 year old tub seems kinda high, but it's tempting.

I have come to realize that Brooke is absolutely right as I have missed out on 2 CalSpa's that were only 2 years old and going for $2k and $2600.  Of course, after reading some reviews of CalSpas on here, that might have been a blessing in disguise.  I snoozed too long on a 1.5 year old HS Vanguard for $2750 as well (I'll regret that one for many years to come).  So, now my money is in hand and I'm ready to pounce.

Does anyone know of any other avenue for finding used hot tubs besides Craiglist, Ebay, and local newspapers?

Thanks for the help

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 03:16:35 pm »
Just thinking out loud on where else to check....

Company bulliten boards?

Dealers?

Repair centers?

I googled Used hot tub OH  and found this listing:

http://www.bargaintraderonline.com/browse.ads/1/Patio,_Lawn/Pools,_Hot_Tubs

Looks like a lot of no name tubs. Once ad struck me as suspicious, so I googled the # and found out it's not a pricvate sale...be careful
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 03:24:46 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 03:31:56 pm »
Keep an eye on the tub on ebay.  Its very likely he won't get any bids, he may repost or he may not.  I have emailed people after the close of the auction and told them that I was interested in said product and if they had trouble selling it and wanted to negotiate the price to let me know.  Sometimes it has worked other times they reposted it at the same price.

The fact that that you have cash in hand and can be ready to come get the tub quickly will help you with the sale.  Do be careful not to get overanxious... don't be afraid to walk away if something seems off.  I went cash in hand 90 miles away last year to buy a Jacuzzi 375?.  The kids and I wet tested it and everything, but I just got this funny feeling and I walked away.  It was really hard to do, but I decided I needed to think about it some more and it was the best decision I could have made.  Found my tub about a week later.

Also on craigslist make sure you search spa, hot tub, and jacuzzi.  I got different hits with each of those terms.  Lots of people call their tub a jacuzzi even if that isn't the brand.  

Oh and on tub at a dealer.... I would pay more $ at a dealer than I would private party in most cases, because they (should) have gone over the tub for problems, put new filters in it, and often times a new cover, and may offer a warranty.  I got laughed at when I tried to get people to take $500 less money up front pending it working when I got home, but my brother was able to get the guy to give him a 30day up to $500 warranty that he would cover.

Be patient, the right tub will make its way to you eventually.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 03:31:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42