What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong? Natural 2 system  (Read 2266 times)

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
What am I doing wrong? Natural 2 system
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:21:41 pm »
I switched over to the natural 2 system about two months ago.. drained existing water and refilled... Each time I get out of the tub, I use the SpaGuard Oxidizer(Potassium Peroxymonosulfate=shock) per recommended dose.. and then once a week, I add a cap of the spaguard Sanitizer (chlorinating concentrate(Sodium Dichlor)..All my chemistry levels are within range and the free chlorine definately jumps up big time when I use the sanitizer..  The problem is that while it initially worked well.. for the last couple of times, the water stayes cloudy and doesn't clear.. I run the system at least 4 hours per recommendation but still nothing... HOW COME?  Does water, after 2 months loss its ability to keep clear? gets 'stale'? of what?????

Hot Tub Forum

What am I doing wrong? Natural 2 system
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:21:41 pm »

In Canada eh

Re: What am I doing wrong? Natural 2 system
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:37:42 pm »
Joshua

This is an on going debate, but it goes something like this,

There is nothing wrong with the N2 product the problem is your sanitizing method is a little backwards.  Potassium Peroxymonosulfate(MPS) is an oxidizer not a sanitizer.  Dichlor in small doses is a sanitizer not an oxidizer.  Dichlor in large doses (10 ppm and higher) can be an oxidizer

Switch your method around, add 1 teaspoon per person of dichlor after you get out of the tub. When  the time comes to use your tub again the chlorine level shoulld be back to almost zero.  Shock once a week with MPS to oxidize some of the nasties, and all will be OK :)

In the mean time you could add 50-60 mls of clarifier to your tub to clear the water up
Bullfrog 451

tileman

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:41:26 pm »
You might want to try this.
Instead of using mps post soak use a small amount of dichlor to get about 3ppm. Normally you'd want about a 5ppm but w/ Nature 2 I think it's ok to have less.
Than use your mps as a shock once a week along with a supershock of dichlor.
 Might help w/ the cloudiness. Couldn't hurt to try at this point. :)

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:01:05 pm »
MPS per soak is fine!  In my Envoy (450 gallons), I add 2 tablespoons of MPS before each soak and shock with 3 tablespoons of DiChlor weekly.  Two years + without water problems.

tileman

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:10:22 pm »
MPS per soak is fine!  In my Envoy (450 gallons), I add 2 tablespoons of MPS before each soak and shock with 3 tablespoons of DiChlor weekly.  Two years + without water problems.

Nobody said it wasn't ok. He might however need more sanitation depending on usage time as well as amount and age of soakers.

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 10:46:24 pm »
I have been using the Nature2 system with a DelZone Ozonator for about 1 1/2 yrs now and absolutely love it.  I use about a teaspoon of dichlor post soak as my regular sanitizer.  When I shock I have become partial to the  SpaGuard Enhanced Shock (about 2 Tbsp every couple weeks).  Thats it.  Nothing more, nothing less and the water is always crystal clear.

How's this for a testimonial for the Nature2....some of you may have read my other posts dealing with the leak I had in my hot tub.  I noticed the leak sometime around April and didn't get a chance to start to fix it until September.  I knew I wasn't going to be getting in the tub so I didn't  put any dichlor or shock in it from April until September.  So, basically it sat there with the circulator pump running, the ozonator and the Nature2 and when I drained it the water was still crystal clear.  Now granted, I wouldn't have gotten in the tub for a soak, but I was impressed that the water was clear and fresh smelling after 5 mos.  For what its worth.

-Law Dawg
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:15:58 am »
From what I've heard and read, as well as  a bit of my own experiene, I find that many folks don't have good luck following the recomended N2 routine.

If you find the recomended method is not  working well for you, most people who use the N2 program, follow the dichlor method (doseing with dichlor after each soak to reach a level of 4-5 ppm and shock weekly) report satisfactory results. They say the N2 stick provides, "additional" water clarity, and  some folks say it makes the water "better".

My personal experince was the N2 did virtually nothing, (I use Dichlor, ozone and an MPS shock, same as Lawsdawg, but less the canister of $25 voodoo beads and saw absolutely  no change) So I don't promote it, but there are many folks that feel it has it's tanagable benifits and feel it's a valuable addition to thier water maintence program. YMMV.

If you do use the N2 catridge, you must replace it with every water change, and if you decide to get off the program, take the old catridge out of the filter well. A respected dealer on this forum had reported that older canisters can break open and the cereamic beads flow into the pump causing exspensive, non warrentied damage.  :P

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:24:51 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 02:54:18 pm »
I agree with the information above.  One other thing I would like to mention is the filters.  Make sure they are cleaned monthly.  IMO, cloudy water is basically caused by one of two things (sometimes both) 1. is low sanitizer, 2. is poor filtration.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 06:46:36 pm »
I'm staying out of this!!! ;) ;D ::)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 06:46:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42