What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What is the best drain cap?  (Read 10638 times)

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
What is the best drain cap?
« on: April 19, 2006, 04:44:57 pm »
I have a customer who is unhappy with her black plastic drain caps and would rather have aluminum caps in a contrasting color. I told her that HotSprings has had great success with their drain caps holding up and have received many compliments on their beauty and the quality of construction.  Does anyone know if there is a company out there that makes designer drain caps?

Hot Tub Forum

What is the best drain cap?
« on: April 19, 2006, 04:44:57 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: What is the best drain cap?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 04:51:31 pm »
I used the cap off a Jose Cuervo tequila bottle in a pinch one time.  No kidding, it worked great.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:54:15 pm »
I used the cap off a Jose Cuervo tequila bottle in a pinch one time.  No kidding, it worked great.

Terminator

Did you have to empty the bottle first or was it just a dead soldier lying around your sales office?

I'd get a can of spray paint and go to town.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 04:56:10 pm »
Lot's of empty bottles around here today.  Made my quota and now I'm just coasting.  Had no Shiner Bock, reduced to drinking Yankee beer from Milwaukee.  Blechchch!

Termiantor
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 05:02:33 pm »
This customer is a little out there, but, I told her I would try to find out what other people were doing to jazz up there drain caps.  She doesnt like anything that blends. Probably the most unique complaint I have encountered so far.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 05:48:33 pm »
Well I hope she bought an expensive spa at full price with cash because that is a whacky complaint and sounds like she could easily prove to be a pain.

If she wants a cap of a different color can't she buy her own spray paint?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 01:05:42 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 05:51:35 pm »
This customer is a little out there, but, I told her I would try to find out what other people were doing to jazz up there drain caps.  She doesnt like anything that blends. Probably the most unique complaint I have encountered so far.

maybe this $2 part will do.  Might be able to find it in the plumbing department (is there even such a thing as plumbing department?)

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/43-226-hose-repair-and-parts/garden-hose-cap-249367.aspx

Artesian Island Grand Cayman

TubsAndCues

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:04:10 pm »

Terminator

I've got one better than that.  We had a customer who broke his whole drain assembly off at the base of the tub in the middle of winter when he was trying to chip ice off of his deck.  For fear of draining the tub and risking it freezing up on him before we could get out there (it was a holiday weekend), he desperately looked around for something to plug it with.

His answer:  One of his girlfriend's "toys".   :-[

Our service guys took a few pics of it, but it's not something I think would be acceptable to post on here.

I suppose necessity is the the best way to spur invention.   ;)

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 08:52:02 pm »

I've got one better than that.  We had a customer who broke his whole drain assembly off at the base of the tub in the middle of winter when he was trying to chip ice off of his deck.  For fear of draining the tub and risking it freezing up on him before we could get out there (it was a holiday weekend), he desperately looked around for something to plug it with.

His answer:  One of his girlfriend's "toys".   :-[

Our service guys took a few pics of it, but it's not something I think would be acceptable to post on here.

I suppose necessity is the the best way to spur invention.   ;)

...one of her toy"S" (as in plural)?
I wonder if he had to try a few before he got the right one?  

too funny.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 09:05:10 am »

...one of her toy"S" (as in plural)?
I wonder if he had to try a few before he got the right one?  

too funny.

Reminds me of a comercial for a feminie hygene product that was on TV last year.  A lady uses the product to stop a hole in a row boat.  ::)

I agree that the drain cap is a standard thread and a plumbing supply house might be able to find something a little jazzier than plastic.  

However, it sounds like this customer is trying to "rice up" thier tub (put on a bunch of doo dads to make it look high performance, much like a lot of young kids do to the Honda's (a-la the movie "The Fast and Furious")

I'd recomend the cap from a Cabo Wabo....but alas, that's a cork.  :P
07 Caldera Geneva

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 12:57:26 pm »
It is a quirky complaint! Nothing with this sale made sense. She bought an Envoy with a sand shell and redwood cabinet and requested a ash colored cover and an esspresso everwood step. She also purchased a navy blue cantilever umbrella for it. Nothing matches at all. Bizarre. A plumbing wholesaler is a great idea. I suggested to her spray paint, but, she doesn't want a plastic drain cap. She wants a colored aluminum cap.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 01:32:50 pm »
Reminds me of my B-I-L.   He's color blind. When he built his house he picked out the strangest color combos....bright blue marbillized formica for the counters, purple  carpets, orange walls....At first I thought I was South of the Border.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 01:45:46 pm »
Its an O.C.D. thing. She told me that nothing matches at all in her house. She has pieced everthing together so that nothing would match or be a duplicate. I left her a message today and noticed she changes her message daily. Very strange. I am willing to help anyone that truly wants help no matter how bizzarre the request. I will solve her drain cap problem, one way or another.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 01:48:23 pm »
Its an O.C.D. thing. She told me that nothing matches at all in her house. She has pieced everthing together so that nothing would match or be a duplicate. I left her a message today and noticed she changes her message daily. Very strange. I am willing to help anyone that truly wants help no matter how bizzarre the request. I will solve her drain cap problem, one way or another.

Call a supply house. You should be able to find one in Chrome, or Aluminum or brass.  It's a standard threaded cap.  If she wanted to go for broke, a machine or body shop might be able to anodize it any color she wants.  
07 Caldera Geneva

Anoroc

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 01:49:49 pm »
You can pick up the cap at Ace hardware in Chrome color.  Do you have an Ace hardware near you or that a midwest thing?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 01:49:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42