What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Good one  (Read 6036 times)

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
Good one
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:12:26 pm »
After 2.5 month of using my hot tub the home owners assosiation decided to send me a letter that it is not approved.

This is just too funny.

How would you react?

P.s

The sign is up to sell my house!!

Hot Tub Forum

Good one
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:12:26 pm »

nicker

Re: Good one
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 07:28:04 pm »
do you live in a condo or somthing?

Yup see ya later Id say.  Can't even do what you want in your own back yard anymore.

Augustus

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 07:30:13 pm »
If you're selling your home, I wouldn't even acknowledge the letter.  If you were staying, I would think that you could send them a letter from a doctor.  Is the HOA going to tell you that you can't have a doctor-prescribed spa?  Probably not.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 08:43:13 pm »
Wow...  Is it explicitly stated in your covenants?  I checked ours before buying a spa just to be sure.  Did they give you a reason for why it's not allowed?  It's not like you put an eyesore in your yard or something...
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:48:06 pm »
In my development we are not allowed above ground pools.  Inground pools, fences and sheds need to be approved by the Board.  Nothing about spas thank goodness!!!

I would just contact one of the Board officers for an explanation.  Maybe it's their way of asking for a test soak!!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:49:10 pm by gores95 »

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 03:53:37 am »
I WILL NOT live somewhere that's going to tell me what color I can paint my house, how green my lawn must be, or WHAT I CAN DO IN MY OWN BACYARD!

Sorry, homeowners associations piss me off.

So my neighbors could take beter care of their yard.  so what.  I'd much rather my neighbors lawn be brown that have some old bitty with nothing better to do tell me my house can't be whatever shade of blue I want it to be.

PLUS, the fees!

No way man.  I live in a great neighborhood at the beach, a few miles from downtown San Diego.  I pay NO fees and no one tells me what to do.

Why buy a house if some comitte of jobless nosey busybodies can tell me what to do with it?  And I pay them for the priveledge?  No thanks.  It's my house.  If I want a hot tub, I got one.  If I want to paint it bright purple, then bright purple it is.

I'm constantly amazed that anyone would put themselves to such a crazy situation.

Sorry.  rant off.

-geekd

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 06:41:31 am »
geeg you are right with your reaction.
thats why I am moving out of my sub devision.
It must be a nosy nabor beeing.
but here is the tricky part. My backyard is fenced in with a 6 foot privacy fence you can not see the the hot tub.
i also got i letter when I build a roof over my dog's house so that he has some shade.
It is abvios that the hoa has nothing better to do.
I am suprised that they did not complained about my green grass that it is too green.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 07:07:54 am »
I would never live in a subdivision with a home owners association. I am against them as well..

I have 100 acres of conservation land directly behind my house and I couldn't be happier.
Plenty of privacy and I can do whatever I want.
Only problem is keeping the bears away from the bird feeder.. especially this time of year...

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 03:01:05 pm »
Just what in the world are they going to do to you if you ignore the ruling or don't comply?  It is still your property.  They can't come and take it away.  Covenants can be tough to enforce except during the original building.  FWIW, I have lived (and do now) in two homes that were in neighborhoods that had (have) homeowners associations and covenants.

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 06:06:02 pm »
Just what in the world are they going to do to you if you ignore the ruling or don't comply?

In our case (Spice owns a condo that's rented to tenants who have "over-decorated" the yard) the HOA added a fine of $50 to our monthly dues, and they threaten to keep adding it until the "violation" is removed.

Ick.
 >:(

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 11:38:47 am »
I WILL NOT live somewhere that's going to tell me what color I can paint my house, how green my lawn must be, or WHAT I CAN DO IN MY OWN BACYARD!

-geekd

I agree.  We looked at a couple of new subdivisions, but there were too many restrictions.  We'll stay where we are and be allowed to do what we wish.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 11:45:37 am »

-geekd

I agree.  We looked at a couple of new subdivisions, but there were too many restrictions.  We'll stay where we are and not have to ask a HOA's permission to do what we wish.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

loosenupspas

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 02:20:13 pm »
All HOA's have convenence, and when you purchased your house you must have ben given a copy of the rules.  For the association to randomly declare your hot tub in violation would be easily challenged.  Where is it written in the bylaws that a tub isn't allowed.  Their objection is probably more visibilty to other neighbors or the street and not really that hot tubs are not allowed.  Most HOA boards are comprised of well meaning people that will work with you.  It may be a neighbor who is causing you problems and complaining to the HOA.  You have to be gracious and patient, keep your cool, slay them with kindness.  In most cases these boards are only dealing with up tight and angry people.  Good luck....

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 03:03:38 pm »
Why is the tub "not approved"? Is it just a formality that they can come over, and after paying an "aproval fee" get it approved? I'm sure a new owner will have something to say if they bought the house from you  and inherits this  problem?

What do the bylaws state? Are ANY hot tubs allowed? What is needed for an apporval? What is required?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 03:04:21 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 03:15:39 pm »
I was the Architectural Chairperson for three years on my neighborhood's HOA.  I am so glad to be done with that.

Did you alert the HOA originally when the tub was installed?  If the convenants state it needs to be approved they probably just need to stop by, take a look and then send you an approval letter.  Most likely no big deal.  Hot tubs/spas are allowed correct? 

Unless you get a hard a-- Board member.  In that case who knows what could happen!  >:(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 03:15:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42