What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is it bad to put my arm in 10ppm Cl water???  (Read 5998 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Is it bad to put my arm in 10ppm Cl water???
« on: October 26, 2006, 10:32:46 pm »
So I mistakenly added too much dichlor after soaking (added a full capful instead of using the scoop).  10 minutes later I go out to test and the strip comes back at 10ppm!!!!  So I guess I basically shocked my two-day old tub.  Question is, is it bad for my arm to have gone elbow-deep into that water?  It feels like it's a bit warm, but that could be mental for all I know.  I washed it with soap and water...
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Is it bad to put my arm in 10ppm Cl water???
« on: October 26, 2006, 10:32:46 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: Is it bad to put my arm in 10ppm Cl water???
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:35:42 pm »
You are fine.   :)

Loved the pics btw, you and your wife looked like kids with a new toy.   :)

tileman

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:40:25 pm »
You'll be O.K. Just don't get in and soak until it comes back down, obviously.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 09:01:33 am »
you should be fine but turn out the lights and see if your arm is glowing!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 09:48:12 am »
No harm done other than possibly blonde arm hair!
Brewman

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 10:02:13 am »
No harm done other than possibly blonde arm hair!

Better go dip the other arm so they'll match. :P
...because integrity's the key

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 10:25:42 am »
Most public pools and spas are required to keep a level of 10PPM.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 10:54:08 am »
Most public pools and spas are required to keep a level of 10PPM.

10? Are you sure?

Although it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, I think it's more like 4-5 ppm, with requirments to check several times a day.  10 ppm would cause serious skin problems for most people.   I've heard that if there's a fecal contamination (infant has a blow out) some codes require the Chlorine get punched to 20ppm for several hours,  and then a water dump. But 10ppm on a constant basis would be nasty, no?

Added:

Checking the net, I saw that Tulsa actualy has a MAXIMUM Cl level of 5 for daily use.

I have a freind in NC that is a condo president and health codes require he keep it at 5pp. Checked 3x a day.

Sonaoma says anywhere from 1-10 is acceptable, Ideally betwen 3 and 4. However if the levels go over 10 the pool is to be closed.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 11:05:19 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 11:04:49 am »
I've never heard of a water dump for a fecal contamination and I've been at many a pool with that happening.  They super chlorinate for 12-24 hours (with the pool closed) and  then continue life as normal.  It happened at the country club I used to work at years ago in Portland a couple times a year and it happened at the city swimming pool during swimming lessons this summer.

I guess maybe a dump would be in order if it was not more solid in form and could easily be cleaned out of the pool... as if the child maybe was sick and it was more runny in nature.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 11:26:23 am by Brookenstein »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 11:09:04 am »
I've never heard of a water dump for a fecal contamination and I've been at many a pool with that happening.  They super chlorinate for 12-24 hours and continue life as normal.  It happened at the country club I used to work at years ago in Portland a couple times a year and it happened at the city swimming pool during swimming lessons this summer.

I guess maybe a dump would be in order if it was not more solid in form and could easily be cleaned out of the pool... as if the child maybe was sick and it was more runny in nature.

:P

it varies. Me? I'd dump it.  But in a public pool that can be expseive.  I think there are also guidleins for cleaning the filters and sanitixing the plumping above and beyond super chlorination.

Anyhow, I hate publice pools and esp ones with kids in diapers, and swimners diapers...their effectiviness is questionable.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 11:11:03 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

PattiB

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 11:14:58 am »
Oh, most definetly to vacate the pool... In our local pools, if a floater is found , or a diaper has left behind some evidence, the pool is vacated for 24 hrs. It is shocked and levels are check closer to the 24 hr period.  I would hope all pools do that. I would rather show up at a pool for public swim or lessons and find the pool closed because of this  rather than just masking the problem.... Even our little wading pools close sometimes a few times a week for this...... Gotta be safe.... Just my thoughts....

Brookenstein

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 11:23:05 am »
As a parent... I have a couple thoughts... especially after the swim lesson experience this summer.  A child who has an accident in swim lessons should be required to wear swim diapers to the pool after having an accident. No exception!!!!  I don't care if the child is potty trained or not.

Diapers should never be allowed in a pool.  Swim diapers are better than nothing, BUT swim diapersonly job is to not let poop into a pool, they let the pee in just fine.  That is why you can not put your child in one and then drive to the pool, you must do it at the pool.  That is why they are better than nothing, but not great.

My youngest will be just over 3 next summer.  He will be potty trained.  He will take swimming lessons.  More likely than not, he will still wear a swim diaper, JIC as he will be newly potty trained and I will not be with him every second to make sure he knows to get out and use the bathroom.  Kids get distracted easily and forget to use the bathroom.  

Honestly though, I think the 8-10 yr old boys probably pee more in pools than your average under 5 crowd.   :-?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 11:27:11 am »
 Question is, is it bad for my arm to have gone elbow-deep into that water?  It feels like it's a bit warm, but that could be mental for all I know.  I washed it with soap and water...

Next time rub it down with Peanut Butter (smooth, not crunchy), wave garlic over it and you'll be fine.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brookenstein

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 11:29:40 am »
 Question is, is it bad for my arm to have gone elbow-deep into that water?  It feels like it's a bit warm, but that could be mental for all I know.  I washed it with soap and water...

Next time rub it down with Peanut Butter (smooth, not crunchy), wave garlic over it and you'll be fine.

I think crunchy with some honey.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 11:51:45 am »
As a parent... I have a couple thoughts... especially after the swim lesson experience this summer.  A child who has an accident in swim lessons should be required to wear swim diapers to the pool after having an accident. No exception!!!!  I don't care if the child is potty trained or not.

Diapers should never be allowed in a pool.  Swim diapers are better than nothing, BUT swim diapersonly job is to not let poop into a pool, they let the pee in just fine.  That is why you can not put your child in one and then drive to the pool, you must do it at the pool.  That is why they are better than nothing, but not great.

My youngest will be just over 3 next summer.  He will be potty trained.  He will take swimming lessons.  More likely than not, he will still wear a swim diaper, JIC as he will be newly potty trained and I will not be with him every second to make sure he knows to get out and use the bathroom.  Kids get distracted easily and forget to use the bathroom.  

Honestly though, I think the 8-10 yr old boys probably pee more in pools than your average under 5 crowd.   :-?

Isn't human urine in a healthy person sterile? Gross, but from a health standpoint, ok? Fecal matter? That's a whole different ball game.

07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 11:51:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42