What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Before and after the spa  (Read 6143 times)

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
Before and after the spa
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:23:31 pm »
I finally was able to link photos from my Flickr site to the forum.  Here is what my back yard looked like before we bought our HS Grandee:

Here is what it looks like now (I have added a couple of lights on the stairs, but that is relatively minor):

The weather here north of DC has been getting colder at night.  Usually my wife and I will go in for a soak almost every evening.  Our dogs like to come out with us:  they each chase each other around the tub or else one parks at the foot of the stairs from the tub and the other parks at the top of the stairs.  (they are both collies, so they can take up some space).

We have had our Grandee fro about two months and have not had any problems other than we have to keep adding Ph increaser about every two weeks:  it keeps dropping.  Otherwise the MPS and Dichlor have been working fine.

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

Before and after the spa
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:23:31 pm »

SpaMorph

Re: Before and after the spa
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:30:08 pm »
Bill, congrats on the purchase!  I'm also considering a new Grandee which would be parked on pavers, just like yours.  How do you like the pavers?  Did they pose any problems with the spa?  

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:32:38 pm »
Are those pavers, or stamped & stained concrete?

Looks great.  I personally would put up a fence for more privacy, but then my street is busy.

-geekd

anne

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 12:20:53 am »
nice set up!
Dance like nobody's watching

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 12:39:03 am »
Hey, great pics!  Thanks for sharing your before and after shots. It looks beautiful!
I like that you took the time to do some landscaping around the pad too.  Really adds to the whole look and...

Wait!

Is that a gnome in the garden?!?! :o
Ohhhh, what a shame. The judges won't be pleased about that. ::)

<sigh!>

...because integrity's the key

tileman

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 12:59:24 am »
 Great job! I really like the color of your cabinetry. Sharp! All you need now is a doggie spa. :) ;D

Tileman

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 09:47:30 am »
wow....what a change of scenery!

very nice....

that safety handle looks familiar

do you have plans for a cover lifter?

enjoy!

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 09:56:05 am »
Bill, nice job on the patio. Did you do the work or have it done? Maybe it's the picture, but it appears that the patio is "falling away" from the house. Is it level or is there a pitch? If the latter, how much and does it affect the use of any part of the spa (since the Grandee has 6 active seats)?

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 10:40:59 am »
that looks really nice.  It is amazing how complete a tub can make you backyard look.  Well done

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 10:58:09 am »
It looks great!  Thanks for sharing!

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 08:15:45 pm »
Let me answer a few of the questions / comments in one post:

1.  Yes, the entire patio was done in pavers.  That made it easy to set the area under the tub level yet have the rest of the patio sloped for drainage.  Our lot drops off a few inches in the first 20 feet or so, then rises about 18 inches in the next 20 feet.  The last 40 feet rise at a fairly steep (30 degree or so) angle.  I was standing on the more elevated back part of the lot taking the photos, which might account for the apparant slope.  The tub is level.  The pavers have been great.  So far we have not had any problems.  I will post a note if that changes  :-/

2.  We had a local company do the pavers.  After you go down about one inch we have nothing but rock below.  In fact, the contractor building the houses had to blast to put in the foundations and basements.  Because of that, we thought the cost of the crew to do the digging and installation was well worth the cost.  They do a lot work with hot tub installations.  They coordinated the electrician and the delivery, so we only had one person to call.

3.  We have a cover lifter on the side.  The handle is attached on the front of the spa, to the left of the stairs.  The cover lifter holds the cover to the right side of the spa as you face the spa stairs (by the windows of the house).  

4.  Hopefully the bushes behind the spa will grow fairly fast.  The back yard is fenced in, but we are very limited in the kinds of fences (essentially only split rail) that we can install due to the HOA.  

5.  It's not a gnome:  its a frog!  ;)

Thanks for the comments and complements -- and all the things we are learning in the forum.

Bill

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 11:40:12 pm »
Nice job Bill...sure looks like you have the perfect spot on them cold winter nights...Enjoy

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 02:01:35 am »
Looks great Bill

The perfect location, just a few feet from the house and nicely landscaped.

regards Zz

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 05:10:15 pm »
Hey Bill,

What a difference!  Most people would not think a small patio with a spa could make such a difference but really looks nice!

If you don't mind me asking...do you know the brand of that tall table you have across from the spa?  Next to the plastic chair.  It looks like something that tall could be placed against my spa and be a drink holder as well as container.  Looks llike it is resin as well so would not need to be stained, etc.

Thanks,

Marc

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 10:28:51 pm »
Hey Bill,

What a difference!  Most people would not think a small patio with a spa could make such a difference but really looks nice!

If you don't mind me asking...do you know the brand of that tall table you have across from the spa?  Next to the plastic chair.  It looks like something that tall could be placed against my spa and be a drink holder as well as container.  Looks llike it is resin as well so would not need to be stained, etc.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc,

Thanks!  That is actually a small cabinet.  We bought it at Home Depot a few weeks ago.  I don't remember the brand.  We use it to store chemicals and other gear for the spa.  

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 10:28:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42