What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Scum removers (Enzymes) vs. Clarifiers?  (Read 9464 times)

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
Scum removers (Enzymes) vs. Clarifiers?
« on: October 23, 2006, 11:45:57 pm »
OK I am new at this water thing but my searching of water chem posts has pointed me in the direction of two seemingly useful chemicals:

Leisure Time Scum Gon and Sea Klear 4 in 1 Clarifier.

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/treatment.htm#scum

Chemically I understand the difference between Enzymes and a Clarifier but the 4 in 1 seems like a Clarifier "plus".  That is not only does it clear the water it also removes scum.  Are there enzymes in the Sea Klear?  If it removes scum is an Enzyme product also necessary?

Also do you think its a good idea to have both products in my chemical quiver?  We have had lots of usage of the spa with neighbors & kids and their oils, soaps, etc. so I want to ensure I have the necessary items to combat the foam and scum that is sure to develop.  I also bought one of those scum absorbing sponges:  Zorbo.

I had a little issue with some foam but after shocking with MPS and Dichlor the foam went away.  I could see a light haze on top of the water tonight.  I don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 10:40:34 am by gores95 »

Hot Tub Forum

Scum removers (Enzymes) vs. Clarifiers?
« on: October 23, 2006, 11:45:57 pm »

kervis

• runnergirl
Re: Scum removers (Enzymes) vs. Clarifiers?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:26:48 pm »
I have a Zorbo as well--remember to give that a good hosing when you are hosing your filters.  BIG difference in the new Zorbo as compared to the one I have had in since July.  I have never tried a scum ball, so I don't know how they compare.

I just checked my chems--My bottle of Enzyme is almost gone.  I used most of it up when the tub was new and everyone was in and out.  (Your situation now)  I haven't used it in a long time now.

I did buy a bottle of the SeaClear and I will start using that when my other stuff is gone.  I think it should be able to replace the Enzyme and the Clarifier.
2005 HS Vanguard

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 03:37:02 pm »
My experience has been that enzymes are a nice maintenance additive...something you use on a weekly basis before you have trouble.  It will keep you water smelling fresh and "eat up" oils and soaps.  Clarifier is something you use when you are already in trouble.  Use it sparingly when your water is cloudy and won't get clear.  It will usually do the trick.

Having clarifier on hand is a must, even if you rarely use it.  Enzymes are a luxury.

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 07:23:31 pm »
Thanks my friend down the block just gave me a bottle of Scum Buster that he bought at SpaDepot.  It is an enzyme product.  Are all enzymes created equal? Is this stuff comparable to Scum Gon?

Thnx.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 07:23:55 pm by gores95 »

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 07:21:07 am »
My experience has been that enzymes are a nice maintenance additive...something you use on a weekly basis before you have trouble.  It will keep you water smelling fresh and "eat up" oils and soaps.  Clarifier is something you use when you are already in trouble.  Use it sparingly when your water is cloudy and won't get clear.  It will usually do the trick.

Having clarifier on hand is a must, even if you rarely use it.  Enzymes are a luxury.

I've never heard such nice definitions!  :)

What  do you think of the 4-in-1 product then?  

By looking at the directions, it would seem that I would use 1 oz weekly for maintenance (like using enzyme) and double that dose if needed, for cloudy water  (clarifier).  

Thanks!  :)
2005 HS Vanguard

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 12:44:37 pm »
Once again, I contend less is better.  IMO, forget the enzymes and, as Tony said, only use the clarifier reactively.  Here are the only chems I use:
dichlor
mps
soda ash
baking soda
dry acid
clarifier (VERY rarely--only as needed reactively)
water... 8-)

KISS.....less is better..... :-*
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

George

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 12:55:26 pm »
Most of the time a good Shock will cure all problems. (Skum, Foam, Oils)

I try to keep total "stuff in the tub" down including: sents, cleaners, anti scale, softeners etc.  The reason we need water changes so oftern is all that "stuff in the tub" buildup.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 12:58:26 pm by George »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 01:21:43 pm »

What  do you think of the 4-in-1 product then?  

By looking at the directions, it would seem that I would use 1 oz weekly for maintenance (like using enzyme) and double that dose if needed, for cloudy water  (clarifier).  

Thanks!  :)

I have never tried the 4 in 1 product.  I've only used LeisureTime Enzyme.  I've heard good things about the SeaClear products, though.

I also agree that less stuff in the water is better, BUT...a little enzymes will never hurt.  Certainly not something you need, but if you like what they do, I would never be afraid to use them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:28:02 pm by tony »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 02:07:40 pm »
I have no experience with them, but don't those scumball thingys absorb oils and stuff without adding chemicals to the water.  I don't add anymore goop to my spa water than I need to either.  But I've not had an oil slick problem to deal with so far.

Brewman

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 03:07:39 pm »
I have no experience with them, but don't those scumball thingys absorb oils and stuff without adding chemicals to the water.  I don't add anymore goop to my spa water than I need to either.  But I've not had an oil slick problem to deal with so far.

Well hang on then...The kids are out of school in an other 1/2 hour.  We can be to your place shortly, depending on the 494/694 traffic.  Once the 2 girls and myself (Bath and Body lotion, any traces of shaving cream, conditioner and mousse from the hair that manages to escape the ponytail holders and hair clips, deoderant) and the boy (probably just a bunch of old sweaty dead skin cells) hop into your tub, :o :o you will see the necessity of this thread!! ;D ;)

I think I used the enzyme just because I had it.  I too, have found that keeping up on the dichlor and shocking have kept everything under control.  I have needed the clarifier for when I did not keep up on the dichlor.  It truly is amazing how quickly things can get out of hand.  When my water gets cloudy, I hit it with the clarifier and usually get a yellow, oily scum on the foam which I promptly scoop out.

Despite all of the yucks in our tub, I have never had a foaming issue--go figure.  :-?
2005 HS Vanguard

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:17:53 pm »

I always have a scumbug floating around in my filter area.  One thing I notice...if I'm using enzymes, I don't have to clean it...stays like new.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:17:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42