What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nature 2  (Read 4156 times)

anne

Nature 2
« on: October 21, 2006, 04:42:10 pm »
A while ago when the N2 debate was on I said that I was going to compare a few months with N2 to a few months with out it, and report back. Not that this is a well controlled scientific experiment, but here's what I would have to say after 4 months with N2 and almost 3 months without, all other circumstances being relatively equal.

I use my tub about 4-5 days per week at least, sadly, usually alone. I have ozone, and use chlorine for sanitation. Since I have hard water I add Metal Gone at the start of each fill, and weekly Defender. MPS to shock every other week, occasionally more often.

I did the typical dump after one month of ownership, then went 4 months with the next fill  (with N2), and am currently on the second fill (without N2) My tub use was about the same the whole time.

Voodoo or not, I'm going back to N2 on my next fill. My perception is that the water is a little easier to keep "happy" with N2. Right now, if I go a couple days out of town or not using it, it gets a bit cloudy if it has no sanitizer in 48 hrs. Before, I could go 72 hrs without clouding. It is rare that it is not used for that length of time, so I only have a few instances to go by to make that judgement. The water may have "felt" a little better, too, before. I feel like I am more prone to a little dry-skin itchiness after using it this time 'round. I'll be dumping and refilling next month, so we'll see if these are repeatable findings.

For the first few weeks of this fill I had a harder time getting pH and TA in line than last time, but I dont think that should have much to do with the lack of N2.

I guess I'll have more to say after being back on N2 in a while!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

Nature 2
« on: October 21, 2006, 04:42:10 pm »

In Canada eh

Re: Nature 2
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 05:38:07 pm »
Anne,

Thanks for the update,  we have considered N2 but they are not available in Canada and will have to order from Doc,  its good to know that it actually works before we buy.
Bullfrog 451

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 05:53:05 pm »
Since you going back to N2 check out ebay! They have some decent deals on N2 and the Frog (3 packs for like $55 or something like that). I was thinking about retrying N2 or trying the Frog but alas I'm cheap! I really think the water makeup makes things work or not.

I have tried N2, enzymes, ozone and various levels of dichlor ... I'm amazed that people have different experiences with all of them. It seems that for me plain old dichlor works best for me.

Did you change anything with N2 vs non N2? Did you consider trying the Frog?

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 06:02:58 pm »
Anne,

My experience matches yours.  N2 is a good product.

Bill

anne

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 07:50:51 pm »
Did you change anything with N2 vs non N2? Did you consider trying the Frog?

I did not conciously change anything, though I'll be the first to admit that this is no publishable experiment. I forgot about the Frog. I just today ordered another N2 stick from Doc, so for now I guess that is what I'll be trying again! How is the frog different?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 09:05:06 pm »
From what Mendo told me, the particles are ground up finer but basically they are supposed to be the similar.

IDW

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 09:21:27 pm »
Nature 2 is coper and silver.
The frog is silver only

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 12:52:09 am »
How does Monarch compare?  I am using it and it looks like Silver only and is sold thru Caldera dealers.  Maybe I will try N2 next.

http://calderaspas.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tubs/popup_access_h2o_monarch.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 12:52:52 am by gores95 »

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 10:25:03 am »
I think I will give the N2 a try this winter.  I'm due for a water change any day  now and perhaps it will be helpful throughout the cold months.

BTW, I was looking at a Real Simple magazine and ran across an ad for a new-fangled washing machine--their selling poing was:

Silver Ion Technology!!  

I no longer have the magazine and I can't remember the brand, but I thought of the forum and got a good chuckle.....
2005 HS Vanguard

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 06:31:17 pm »
Anne,

My experience matches yours.  N2 is a good product.

Bill

I also have had the same experience.  To add, I have used both N2 and the Frog extensively with identical results.

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 09:53:39 am »
I did my water change this wekend and decided on re-upping my N2 addiction as well.

I hated parting with the $22, but if it works, I stay stick with it.  

Magic Voodoo beads.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 10:02:14 am »
Anne,

did you change your sanitation routine/dosage at all? N2 has a chlorine dosing method that's significantly different. Although I haven't found anyone who  truely follows it. Most folks I talk to  use the same amont of sanitizer wether they use N2 or not and simply use the N2 cartridge for additional "better" water.

07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 12:56:34 pm »
Anne,

did you change your sanitation routine/dosage at all? N2 has a chlorine dosing method that's significantly different. Although I haven't found anyone who  truely follows it. Most folks I talk to  use the same amont of sanitizer wether they use N2 or not and simply use the N2 cartridge for additional "better" water.

I did not even know until I had had N2 in place for a while that there was a recommended MPS/chlorine dosing with that product. Once I did know, i did not switch over, though my routine was not that different than N2's.
ftp://http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/nature2spa.html
They recommend 1 TBSP MPS *before* each use, but at the bottom of the page, they do say that substituting 1 tsp chorine is ok. I was already in the habit of adding 1 tsp *after* each use, or a max of once per day, so I stuck with that.

I have found that this time around (not sure how it is related to the absence of N2, but I'm suspicious) that I have been adding 1.5- 2 tsp with each use, or clouding will occur more readily.

I do not understand why N2 would recommend daily MPS over daily chlorine, as we have gone 'round and 'round the topic of MPS being an oxidizer, not a sanitizer......I remember at least a few posts here from people having been advised (dealers/manuals) to go with daily MPS, and ending up with water problems. Anyone out there use it daily instead of chlorine successfully?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 01:21:05 pm »
Anne,

Thanks for the update,  we have considered N2 but they are not available in Canada and will have to order from Doc,  its good to know that it actually works before we buy.

Don't feel bad, you've got better beer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 01:24:48 pm »
Voodoo or not, I'm going back to N2 on my next fill. My perception is that the water is a little easier to keep "happy" with N2.

It's not voodoo at all, it's science, but it's really an assistance to a good sanitizing routine.

Now if the argument gets into whether the cost justifies what it gives you in water care management, that's where we get into a gray area. It's up to each owner to decide whether N2 is for them and some will say it's well worth it as water quality problems can be very disheartening.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:09:18 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 01:24:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42