What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New user question  (Read 3881 times)

MDG3

New user question
« on: October 15, 2006, 03:39:35 pm »
Hi All,

I resently bought a used hot tub spa from my next door neighbour but he has no manuals or start up guides for it.   :( :(

Only from what I have read on the forum, is what I've been going by. So my Ph is off the chart, 8.4-8.6 but (I Think) I traced it down to too much chlorine released from the float feeder. And yes I have turned it down and removed it for now.   :-[

Anyways, should I add Ph minus or let the chlorine evap? I have the Quik stix 5 test strips. It also says Calcium hardness is 50ppm. I feel that if I use too many chems, I will get lost with the constant up and down parameters.    :-/ :-/

Thanks in advance for your input and your patience.  :)

Hot Tub Forum

New user question
« on: October 15, 2006, 03:39:35 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: New user question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 03:50:15 pm »
Are you sure its chlorine and not bromine?  What about Alkalinity?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

MDG3

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 04:01:41 pm »
Are you sure its chlorine and not bromine?  What about Alkalinity?

Yes, I put chlorine tablets in the floater. Total alk is 40 ppm. :-/

I might of added the chlorine first before setting the Ph, Alk, Cal Hard  and may attribute to the wrong parameters
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:05:27 pm by MDG3 »

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 05:22:40 pm »
Are you using Tri-Chlor pucks in the feeder?  Usually chlorine in hot tubs is in the form of granules with the name Di-Chlor.  If people use a feeder it is usually with bromine.  It is my understanding trichlor is for pools and voids most tub warranties.

MDG3

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:49:10 pm »
Are you using Tri-Chlor pucks in the feeder?  Usually chlorine in hot tubs is in the form of granules with the name Di-Chlor.  If people use a feeder it is usually with bromine.  It is my understanding trichlor is for pools and voids most tub warranties.

:-? :-? :-? :-/ :-/ :-[ :-[
I got a box full of chemicals with the hot tub from the previous owner and until now, did not think it made a difference which chemicals to use. (newbie)
I just looked at the pail of mini pucks AND you're right on the money, they say  Trichlor-S-
Triazinetrione 99.5%  available Chlorine 90%.   :o

The Spa is about 12-14 years old and I am not worried about warranty or should I be ?

Thanks for your fast replys. 8-) 8-)

Brookenstein

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 05:55:37 pm »
I can't remember the reasons why Trichlor is 'bad'.  It is discussed here from time to time.  You could do a search (be sure to change the time frame) and see if anything comes up or wait and I'm sure someone will chime in.  While you don't have a warranty to be concerned with, you also don't want to be using a product that knowingly is bad for the tub (and could cause costly problems) and I personally would switch over to dichlor or bromine.  I'm not sure if its posible the trichlor is affecting your other readings and whatnot as well.

I honestly would dump and start over if it was me.  

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 05:56:57 pm »
Get rid of the Tri-chlor.  You don't need it and it is not meant for hot tubs.  Go buy Di-chlor at your store.  Take a water sample and they will test it for you and tell you what you need to do - which could include draining and starting over if the water is really out of whack.  Sometimes its easier and cheaper to drain and start over.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

MDG3

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 06:22:18 pm »
Thanks all for your help. I will go take a sample to the store and see what they say. 8-) 8-)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 09:02:40 am »
Yup. Get off the Trichlor.  You can use Bromine or Dichlor to sanitize your tub. (I prefer Dichlor and suggest you use a post soak Dichlor dose with a weekly MPS shock).

I'd dump the water. clean the filters, (or perhaps even pick up a new one or two) and start fresh with the dichlor routine.

What brand of tub is it?  :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:03:19 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

nicker

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 09:30:28 am »
I would also recoment switching to Dichlor asap.  Also get your ALK up, that is low. I would bring that up to the 100 area they say it should be between 80 and 120.  Once you do that recheck your PH and see what its at.  And adjust as needed.  You also may find that once you switch to Dichlor and get your ALK up your PH may fall into range.

MDG3

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »
Yup. Get off the Trichlor.  You can use Bromine or Dichlor to sanitize your tub. (I prefer Dichlor and suggest you use a post soak Dichlor dose with a weekly MPS shock).

I'd dump the water. clean the filters, (or perhaps even pick up a new one or two) and start fresh with the dichlor routine.

What brand of tub is it?  :)

It's a Clearwater Spa Brand.

So I've been using Dichlor for the past couple of days and things are finally at where they should be; Ph=7.2, Alk=80 still a little low, Cal Hardness=400, Total Chlorine=1, Free Chlorine=3.

Thanks for your input, it is Greatly appreciated. :) 8-)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:53:03 pm by MDG3 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42