What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Treating Well Water - Soft or Hard?  (Read 2402 times)

mvcassid

Treating Well Water - Soft or Hard?
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:49:36 pm »
I recently purchased a Sundance Optima (used) that will be installed in the next couple weeks.  My house water is supply is via an onsite well which we treat to make it "soft water".  My question is two fold:
1.) should I be using the "hard water" from the well (I can bypass the softener system)?
2.) or should I be using water that has been treated ("soft water").  

If there is any other recommendations or heads ups out there I would greatly appreciate it as I am a first time hot tub owner.  

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Treating Well Water - Soft or Hard?
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:49:36 pm »

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Treating Well Water - Soft or Hard?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 03:18:13 pm »
Unless there is some sort of bad reason I don't know about, I would recommend using the softened water. Just remember to add calcium hardness after your fill and bring it up to around 200 or so.

Chances are you have a softener for some sort of iron manganese problem, correct?

So fill your tub with the filtered clean water, then add calcium hardness like I said.

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:45:02 pm »
My owners manual has this warning;

"IMPORTANT: never fill the spa with soft water unless an
appropriate mineral supplement is immediately added.
If your water is extremely hard, it is preferable to either dilute the water’s hardness by blending the water with water from a water
softener, or by the addition of a special water softening
chemical (see your authorized Bullfrog Spa dealer)."

I think I read somewhere that if the water is void of minerals it wiil try to draw minerals from the pumps, plumbing, fittings etc...
Bullfrog 562

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 04:31:01 pm »
Check your Owner's Manual.  I have a Sundance Cameo and this is what my manual says

Sundance Owner's Manual http://www.sundancespas.com/Communications/InstructionManuals/06880EngMan.pdf, Page 19  
Fill Hot Tub
• Place the end of your garden hose into the empty filter bucket.
CAUTION: Never fill with water from a water softener. If your
water is extremely “hard”, it is preferable to fill half-way with
hard water and the rest of the way with softened water. Or,
you may fill entirely with hard water if you use a special water
additive available from your Sundance dealer.

gturn

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 04:43:19 pm »
I recently purchased a Sundance Optima (used) that will be installed in the next couple weeks.  My house water is supply is via an onsite well which we treat to make it "soft water".  My question is two fold:
1.) should I be using the "hard water" from the well (I can bypass the softener system)?
2.) or should I be using water that has been treated ("soft water").  

If there is any other recommendations or heads ups out there I would greatly appreciate it as I am a first time hot tub owner.  

Thanks

I would take a water sample in to a Spa dealer and have it tested and get a recommendation from them.  My owners manual says not to use soft water, but says if calcium is to high to drain part of the water and add some soft water to lower the calcium. If calcium is low you can get a "Calcium Up" additive.  You do want the proper calcium level. You can use "Metal Gone" treatment to solve normal problems with hard water.  I think I heard somewhere that soft water foams.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:56:21 pm by gturn »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 04:47:54 pm »
I would mix the 2 half and half. But bring a sample of each to the dealer see what he says.
Retired

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 06:30:30 pm »
I think the reason the manual says that is because they don't want you filling and using the soft water. I don't see why you can't just add calcium hardness afterwords...

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 07:05:09 pm »
We used our soft water per our dealers advice.  (Our well water has a lot of iron etc. ) Then the dealer tested it, and we had to add Calcium.   Had no problems so far.

mvcassid

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 10:43:54 pm »
Thanks to all for your input and advice.  We don't have iron issues, the water is more basic (calcium rich).  I'll get the two different samples over to our local sundance dealer.

Thanks again.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 10:43:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42