What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning filters  (Read 2638 times)

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Cleaning filters
« on: September 30, 2006, 01:08:12 am »
Should the electricity be turned off before removing and cleaning filters?  My J385 manual says to turn off the power before cleaning the filters.  However, the Northman's "water change" routine and the directions on Swirl Away say to remove the filters, run swirl away for 1 hour, and then turn off the electricity.  

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning filters
« on: September 30, 2006, 01:08:12 am »

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
Re: Cleaning filters
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:48:12 pm »
I've always shut the electricity off before removing my filters.  I'm afraid that if my pumps came on something might get lodged down in there.

That Swirl Away stuff is used in the prevention of buildup in the plumbing lines of spas and whirlpool.  I'd suspect that you wouldn't use it that often...so if I were to remove your filters and use the product I'd want watch to make sure nothing got in there.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 01:08:14 pm »
As long as your water is reasonably clean, you can run your pumps for a short while without filters.  Just make sure you don't have any debris that would get sucked drawn into the intake.
 That's just a general statement, always follow any warnings in your owners manual for your specific spa.

And for sure take out the filters if you use swirl a way.  Just follow the instructions on the bottle.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 01:14:45 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 02:11:57 pm »
My J-220 has a lock-out feature on the timer that allows you to prevent the pumps from coming on. Maybe yours has this as well?

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 12:16:55 pm »
What would be the benefit of using the pump lock-out feature?   It would seem like the swirl away product would need the pumps on while the filters are off.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 01:56:09 pm »
I leave the tub on but make sure I don't take the filters out when the therapy pumps might kick on. I also make sure debris is out of the filter compartment but the circ pump has a screening on it for larger debris.

If you don't have a circ pump, just lower the temp to keep the therapy pump from comming on.

As far as swirl away, I've used it overnight while running the pumps for a total of an hour at least ... I wanted to make sure the plumbing was squeaky clean!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 01:56:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42