What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Satlwater  (Read 2917 times)

Fitnessaddict

Satlwater
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:59:35 pm »
Hi Fellow Hottub lovers,
We bought a tadpole (bullfrog series) hottub this August. Well we also put in a saltwater inground pool The pool has been great to maintain, however the tub has been cloudy yet testing fine the whole time. Sooo.... we decide to go saltwater for 600 dollars, ouch but what is anther 600 at this point of nearly 28 thousand LOL. The water is clear as clear can be, but once again there is this problem with the maintaining. "Tubby" sells this system which I believe is out of Calgary and you put one of these "pucks" in before you go in and one in after. Well the pucks are about a dollar a piece  :o. I use my hottub nearly everyday, that adds up. One of the reasons we got it is because I teach 13 fitness classes a week and am sore, so the massaging is a big relief. The pucks contain potassium hydrogen peroxymonosulfate and sodium carbonate. Does anyone have any idea how we could "make" our own tablets or what amount we would need and where we would get the chemicals to add freely on their own.

Thanks in advance,

Fitnessaddice :)

Hot Tub Forum

Satlwater
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:59:35 pm »

In Canada eh

Re: Satlwater
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 07:48:15 pm »
Fitnessaddict,

Sorry nobody has piped up here,  probably cause saltwater in hot tubs is still new.   I wish I could help but,  I don't know much about salt water tubs.   I did look into using it in our pool but haven't got very serious about it yet.   The dealer we got our tub from(also a Bullfrog) sells the Tubby generator and has mentioned it to me but I think I want to try it in the pool first.
Bullfrog 451

badval

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 07:53:44 pm »
Wouldn't the salt severely diminish the service life of the pumps & heater?  I'm thinking of how quickly salt water would tear up jetskis if they weren't frequently flushed with fresh water.  I owned one a few years back that saw a lot of salt water before I owned it.  Had to replace so many parts in the first 2 years that I could have just bought another one.  

tumbleweed

• HotTub'n
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 11:00:51 pm »
The salt in a saltwater pool or spa is at a much lower level than what would be found in the ocean.  About the same salinity as a teardrop.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 11:01:35 pm by tumbleweed »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:13:41 pm »
If you have access to Dichlor or whatever. This will help...http://www.scarritt.com/spasanitizing.htm

Also check Doc's site. Rhtubs.com

My pool's salt as well. There's nothing close to that for tubs. Not that I trust or have experience with. Section A of my sanitizing page works great with Dichlor chlorine.

Oh, and for the busy bodies, nothing on my sanitizing page is copied from anyone's site. If you want to copy mine you'll have to print it out and re-type it. It's imbedded. :)
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Fitnessaddict

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 08:05:52 am »
Thanks for all the replies, I'll look up the info later today. I have a class to torture  ;D this morning (oops I meant teach). Have a great day everyone! :)

Fitnessaddict

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 08:47:32 am »
The best thing about a salt water tub (and I guess a pool with an electric heater) is you'll know when the heater goes bad and the ground fault doesn't work ... ZAP, ZAP, ZAP!!! :o :D

Vanguard

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 12:18:04 am »
From what I've heard, the part of the problem is the hot water as well as the corrosiveness of salt.  Apparently, the two together just don't work that great.  There are folks out there trying to perfect it - and perhaps they will - but for now, I'd stay away from salt for now.

The other part is the salt water can effervesce and cause throat irritation.  It can be similar to biguanides when they are used inside.  So, the comfort of the tubber is a problem, too.

Since you use your spa so much, you will probably need to keep a bit more chlorine residual in the spa for the chems to keep up.  Stick with dichlor, ozone and silver and you should have a great clear spa.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 12:18:57 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 12:18:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42