What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie's 3rd Question - Cheap tub shortcuts  (Read 5134 times)

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
Newbie's 3rd Question - Cheap tub shortcuts
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:10:39 pm »
The most perplexing thing for me so far has been the huge range of prices out there.

I am cautious enough not to jump at a big box special that's loaded with features for almost half the price of the more established brands without asking, "WHY?".  But I will admit that the sticker price looks pretty appealing for a first-time-tubber.

Will I really spend that much more in repairs and operating costs with a low-end tub? Or are the "brand name" hot tub companies making a killing because they are dealing in a luxury item that only a select few can afford?

I've heard everything from "the cheap tubs have no insulation" to "they use cheaper windings in their motors" but to my rookie eye, some of the cheap tubs look every bit as well-built (on papar) as their elite rivals.

My perception of value is not based solely on purchase price. Long term reliability, efficiency and level of enjoyment for me far outweigh the tag price but I still have to ask:

Where are these cheaper tubs cutting corners to justify such a dramatic price discrepancy?
...because integrity's the key

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie's 3rd Question - Cheap tub shortcuts
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:10:39 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Newbie's 3rd Question - Cheap tub shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 02:15:40 pm »

Where are these cheaper tubs cutting corners to justify such a dramatic price discrepancy?

Because there is obvioulsy a market for them.  

07 Caldera Geneva

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:18:55 pm »
Sorry, I meant to ask how are they cutting corners?  What do they sacrifice that has such a huge influence on the cost?
...because integrity's the key

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 02:27:51 pm »
My bad....I read it as "Why". Plus I was being a bit glib.

07 Caldera Geneva

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 03:05:47 pm »
I've come to believe in the slogan "buy nice or buy twice".   In other words, you can certainly save money up front, but in the long run you'll probably end up buying something better down the road (either because the cheap original you bought doesn't work or because you see the benefits of something nicer).  So, why not spend a little more up front and never have to second guess yourself.

That said, I'm very curious to hear the difference between the "Hyundai" tubs and the "Mercedes" tubs!!!
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 03:37:30 pm »
Insulation is the biggest way they are cutting costs.  Lack of insulation adds up (unless you go with a reputable company like Coleman).

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 03:40:42 pm »
I've seen differences in the heaters too, I can image the pumps as well. Like many of us, after a cursory look decided i really wanted somehting I could trust.  But I am not an expert in pointing out the finer details. Were are all the dealers today??
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 07:29:42 pm »
There are some manufacturers that sell lower price tubs at dealers. Artesian has lower end tubs and they were in the $3500 US range back in 2004. Are they the same quality as my Artesian - NO but they are geared for the people who don't want the expensive price tag and just want hot water and jets. I think there are a few manufacturers too.

Although I do question why we need $10,000 + tubs, there is a market for them.

In Canada eh

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 07:38:35 pm »

Hey Vinny,

In Canada, your tub is $10000  :'(

Bullfrog 451

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 08:15:13 pm »
I've come to believe in the slogan "buy nice or buy twice".   In other words, you can certainly save money up front, but in the long run you'll probably end up buying something better down the road (either because the cheap original you bought doesn't work or because you see the benefits of something nicer).  So, why not spend a little more up front and never have to second guess yourself.

That said, I'm very curious to hear the difference between the "Hyundai" tubs and the "Mercedes" tubs!!!

The Hyundai tub is for people who get a good tub for the right amount of money. They hold water, get hot  and have jets. They come with covers, can put cover lifters on them and people save a ton of money to build a deck around them.

The Mercedes tubs are for the people who want to thumb their noses at the people who own the Hyundai tubs! Snob appeal is everywhere! ::)

BTW, they both enjoy their tubs the same! Oh and the Hyndai tub comes with a warranty and being 1/3 of the price just needs to last 7 years and 21 years from the purchase date both brands (Hyundai 3x bought new) will be on the old side.

Hyundai's make some pretty good cars - I hate this example.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 08:17:38 pm »

Hey Vinny,

In Canada, your tub is $10000  :'(

I wouldn't buy it! [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

anne

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 08:30:32 pm »
The Hyundai tub is for people who get a good tub for the right amount of money. They hold water, get hot  and have jets. They come with covers, can put cover lifters on them and people save a ton of money to build a deck around them.

The Mercedes tubs are for the people who want to thumb their noses at the people who own the Hyundai tubs! Snob appeal is everywhere! ::)

BTW, they both enjoy their tubs the same! Oh and the Hyndai tub comes with a warranty and being 1/3 of the price just needs to last 7 years and 21 years from the purchase date both brands (Hyundai 3x bought new) will be on the old side.

Hyundai's make some pretty good cars - I hate this example.

Maybe we nee three categories:
1. "the Mercedes" Quality tub with some bells and whistles and whatever high-end engineering makes it a good tub that will last 20 years

2. "the Hyundai"- more budget, but still quality. Perhaps simpler design, but with good insulation and well made parts (I'm thinking Tiger River, Marqui "everyday", Artesian Island, etc.)

3. Not sure what analogy to assign to the last category, but now were into the internet based tubs, "factory clearance outlet" fly-by-night manufacturers, bog box store tubs, etc.......

Perhaps the question should be what differentiates category 2 and 3. It seems logical to me that it is a matter of quality parts, good engineering, etc, AND a warranty that stands behind the product. I'm much less familiar with tub brands out there than a lot of readers here, but it seems to me that most of the "category 2" tubs that I can think of are made be companies that make the "mercedes" tubs, but also branch out into economy lines. Are there any stand-alone comanies out there that make a really quality 5K tub and DONT have other more expensive lines?
Dance like nobody's watching

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 08:44:43 pm »
I also think the big box stores can afford to make even less of a profit for a tub than a local store.  Also the big box store can threaten the manufacturer that they will take their business elsewhere if they don't reduce costs.  They can insist periodically that the manufacturer give them tubs below their cost so they can have big sales.

From inside experience, Walmater, Lowes, and home Depot are big corporate bullies.    Can Term fine Hot springs for late delivery?  I  doubt it, but Walmart fines mom and pop operations all over the country for not dotting the i or crossing the T all the time.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 11:21:08 pm »
When I see the new Yugo drive by the store, I don't say,"Darn I missed one." That's if I was selling Cadillacs.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 12:19:12 am »
 There are all sorts of ways to cut costs that aren't apparent to us shoppers.  A lower quality shell isn't going to jump out at us- it'll look just fine on the surface, but how much thinner or how less well made might it be?  Same for the frame, cabinet, insulation, jets, cover, electronics.  Nickle and dime it to death and you turn a Mercedes into that Yugo.
The entire cost difference isn't just in the cost of the spa itself
 Also consider different levels of service.  My spa included a pre site inspection, delivery to the spa foundation, and aftercare.  
Someone to stay around and actually show you how to set it up- I passed on it, but it would have been there for anyone who choose to.
 Plus the service techs are actually employees of the dealer, not some independent generic fixit guy.  I dial a local number for questions, I can walk into the dealer and talk spas with someone who know about them and  who isn't also trying to sell washing machines, power tools, plywood, vacuum cleaners, carpet and curtains, Kitty litter, and very large containers of peanut butter.
  Ask one of those Costco guys to explain spa setup, chemical routines, analyze water problems, stuff like that.  
  You may pay a few hundred less in purchase price, and end up giving it to you electric company.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 12:19:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42