What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I am looking to buy a hot tub. So many options....  (Read 6020 times)

lagator43

• My wings are a shield of steel.
I am looking to buy a hot tub. So many options....
« on: September 13, 2006, 04:24:29 pm »
I am presently shopping for my first hot tub.  So many models and so many options. Which option(s) are  important.  Is there any advice that you hot tub owners wish someone had told you before buying?  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

I am looking to buy a hot tub. So many options....
« on: September 13, 2006, 04:24:29 pm »

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: I am looking to buy a hot tub. So many options
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 04:30:47 pm »
I just bought one two months ago and went through the entire process.

First answer these questions please...

Are you looking for a small , midsize, or large tub?
What's your budget? Ballpark
Where is it going to be placed?
What state do you live in?

What are you looking for out of your hot tub? Just some relaxation few times a week for you and possibly your significant other?

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 04:32:28 pm »
Above all else try to wet test before you buy. And I recommend wet testing several brands even if you find one you think you like because there are so many variations out there.

If a dealer will not let you wet test, no matter how much you think you like what you see, consider going somewhere else if at all possible.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 04:33:05 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 07:05:48 pm »
Just because a dealer will not let you wet test (or can't let you wet test) doesn't mean you should't buy there. That's ridiculous.

If the price is right(make sure it is), go for it.

Of course first you would want to wet test the tub your about to buy at another dealer(if possible)

Amanda_Panda

• Clearwater
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 07:51:28 pm »
Sledjunkie had some good suggestions about questions to help get your ideas in order. As far as options go, there really are a lot to choose from. Out of all of them, there are ones designed to make your spa use/care easier like a cover lifting mechanism, a sanitizing assistant of some sort (lots of those to choose from as well), and low maintenance siding are the most popular "helpful" options. The rest are fun bells n whistles, glitz and glamour, and "bling bling". Take your time and organize your thoughts about how you plan on using your spa once it is home and think about the most important reason why you want one. This will help narrow the choices down and make your shopping experience easier. Try not to be too hasty in making a decision. Best of luck to you.    ;)
The best intention pales in comparison to the smallest good deed.

JUST ME

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 09:54:21 pm »
Hi Lag,

Read a lot of the stuff in this forum for 30-40 hr. before you go out to dealers, but you might still be very confused.

Yes wet test.  

Look into your electrical work that you will have to do and pad to set it on.

I did not wet test my Geneva ( will be delivered in 2 weeks)but because we did wet test 5 other spas we knew were we wanted the jets for my wifes back. ( I know this might be a no no but we did it anyway)

After you go out to the dealers and get more confused come back here and ask more question and hopefully you wont be as confused.

but thats

just me

ps good luck

pss I would have found a way to come up with 2-3k more if I could have put some of the great things in all spas into 1 fantastic spa
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:00:38 pm by JUST_ME »

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 10:28:09 pm »
Just because a dealer will not let you wet test (or can't let you wet test) doesn't mean you should't buy there. That's ridiculous.

Of course first you would want to wet test the tub your about to buy at another dealer(if possible)

DPS

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:30:27 pm »

So, you are saying that he should buy the spa from the dealer that wouldn't make it available to wet test - after taking up another dealer's time wet-testing?
THAT is rediculous!

DPS

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 10:38:11 pm »
Or, ridiculous.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 09:16:06 am »
Any dealer who would not allow me to wet test would not get my hot tub business...no matter what.  I believe wet testing is just that important...not only for one to get a feel for the tub's therapy but also for one to get a good feel for the service after the sale.  If a dealer does not offer wet tests, red flags are a-flying, IMHO.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 09:37:15 am »
Again, I disagree.
You can't tell me dealers can provide wet tubs for every model in a line.
No way. Most dealers don't have the room, or simply don't have the inventory for that.
That is no reason not to buy from them if they can't provide you with a wet test.

DPS - Yes I would take up the time of a dealer, and then buy from someone else. I did just that actually.
That's called shopping in my book.
Don't you do the same when buying a car?

Spiderman

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 09:46:11 am »
I think you HAVE to wet test any spa you're going to buy.  How do you know how it's going to feel unless you do?  You wouldn't (or at least I would hope) go out and buy a car without giving it a test drive.

There are a lot of quality tubs on the market and I think you will find most of the "top" brands have similar insulation, warranties, etc.  Of course each brand will/should have something unique to offer, such as HotSpring's moto-massage.  In the end it will be personal preference.  The moto-massage was the clincher for us.

My wife and I initially were looking to spend around $3500, but after we saw what was available for that, we decided to upgrade and fork out more $$$$ for a much better tub.  If you live in a cold climate like we do (Upper Michigan), we absolutely had to have very good insulation.  Sure we could have saved some money up front, but over the course of owning the tub, would have spent more just on heating the darn thing.

Also what I found interesting during our quest is that we initially were looking for a 5-6 person tub, because we just assumed that we had to have a tub big enough for "all the guests" that would be over on a regular basis to use it.  ::)  Well, we knew that would not happen, so after wet testing about 4 different tubs, we ended up with a 2-3 person tub because it was the most comfortable for us.  We also have two small children, so it's not a problem at this point.  We let them go in before us because all they want to do anyways is play in the water.  Then when they're done splashing around, we get in.  All of us can use the tub at the same time though.

Keep reading info here and asking questions.  Good luck and keep us updated!!
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 09:57:44 am »
I am presently shopping for my first hot tub.  So many models and so many options. Which option(s) are  important.  Is there any advice that you hot tub owners wish someone had told you before buying?  Thanks.

Yup.  

Shop around.  Read through this forum there' some great advice from some very knoweldgable folks. Ask questions.  Don't make a major purchase for an item that you will have for many years from a postion of ignroance, or pressure from a salesman.  This is for you, your  money.  Take your time, and get the tub that's right for you.

Buy quality.  Buy a known brand.  Don't buy off the interenet.  dont' buy at a home show, or a side of the road tent sale. Wet test several different tubs.  Be aware of the total costs (Putting a pad down, electrical, and initial chems).  Find a decent dealer, that treats you with repect, offers good information, and wants to make sure you get the right tub, not sell you what ever he wants to get off his floor.  Don't pay 100% for the tub upfront. be smart, educate yourself and have fun. Hot tubs are fantastic! Don't let it become a headach!

AS far as options, well thats dependent on your budget and desires.  Waterfalls, radios, fancy lighting,  TVs, remotes....all unnessecary and soley  up to you and your budget. I would not compromise the quality or comfort of the tub in anyway to get the above, or detract me form getting the best tub for soaking/therapy/seating.

Must haves include:

Steps, cover, cover lifter all needed.  Additionaly. I recomend a CD ozonator as an option. I also strongly recomend buying a 220v tub.

Other than that...

Do you have a budget, price range?

Are you putting the tub outside in a cold climate?

How many people, what size are you considering?

Do you have specific therapy needs, or is this more for general enterainment ?

Any space restrictions?

The above will help narrow down/focus us in a direction. There are thousands of tubs to choose from.  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 10:44:58 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

barshnik

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 11:00:08 am »
I think you HAVE to wet test any spa you're going to buy.  How do you know how it's going to feel unless you do?  You wouldn't (or at least I would hope) go out and buy a car without giving it a test drive.

Don't know about where you live, but here in Las Vegas, not a single dealer had a 2-3 person spa wired & filled for wet test - there just isn't enough demand for them (small models) here.

What we were able to do, was dry test the Artesian model we wanted, and then wet test bigger models that had identical jet layouts in a seat position that was (nearly) identical to the individual seats in the 3 seat model we wanted.

We had to wet test 3 different larger Artesian models to cover the 3 different seat / jet layout configurations of the Falcon, but the results worked.  Love the Falcon.

To close the deal, Artesian (factory store) finally offered to wire & fill the dry floor model Falcon we wound up buying, but by then I didn't even feel it was necessary.

The Sundance dealer laughed at me when I asked to wire & fill the floor model Capri, and the larger models didn't have any seats with identical jet / seat layouts, so we left, even after liking the feel of it dry.

So, sometimes more than one way to wet test.

John F
LV, NV

lagator43

• My wings are a shield of steel.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 11:05:45 am »
Thanks for everyones advice everytime I check this site I learn something new.   Please keep it coming.  

I live in Canada so yes insulation would be important.  I would like it to seat 4-5 people.  My family has no specific  therepy needs.  What is an average number of jets for a tub and what do people think of lounge seats????
I am deciding between an Arctic Spa or Jacuzzi.  I want something that is quiet since it will be sitting under my sons bedroom window.  In terms of price range, I  want to spend a moderate amount.  I cannot afford a lavish model but I am aware of the saying "cheap man pays twice."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 11:13:40 am by lagator43 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 11:05:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42