What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why not 2-speed pumps?  (Read 17653 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Re: Why not 2-speed pumps?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 02:11:25 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  All things being equal, I'd prefer 2-speed if only for the quieter operation.  I realize I can get a softer massage by turning down the jets and/or diverter, but you're still going to have that pump running at it's max (with the associated noise).  What got me thinking about it was after wet-testing a Vita with a 2-speed pump.  On the low setting you could barely hear it -- very nice.

Sounds like everything's not perfect with 2-speed pumps though.  Added cost and decreased reliablity would be a major bummer.  Bottom line is I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over only having single-speed pumps... :)
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 02:11:25 pm »

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 02:14:12 pm »
Nice one Reese, haha
I think I read it here, so it's quite possible it was a salesman.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 02:16:30 pm »
Sounds like everything's not perfect with 2-speed pumps though.  Added cost and decreased reliablity would be a major bummer.  

I wish I hadn't even commented on that. I didn't mean to imply 2-speed pumps were a quality issue. Their reliability should be fine, the difference is not major overall.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 05:29:59 pm »
My tub has 2-2speed pumps and a circ pump.  We use the low speed more than 90% of the time.  I wouldn't own a tub without the 2 speeds.

Rayman
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 05:47:29 pm »
Its all about cost, 2 speed pumps add alot to the cost of the tub and if you times that cost times thousands of spas produced every year,it adds up quickly. Absolutely nothing to do with quality unless your using cheap pumps and motors. Makers such as Waterway and G.E have great success in building both 2 speed and single speed pumps. Then again remember Vico? Yikes we changed alot of both 2 speed and single speed back in the day.
-SpaMan~

In Canada eh

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 05:47:51 pm »
Now there is an idea that I think I would like! Variable speed would be a nice option as long as the pumps are reliable.

Tanstaafl

easy to do once tub is out of warranty

Lets see                  2 variable frequency drives(weatherproof of course)
                              2  DC motors for above
                              1  weatherproof control panels

$10,000

When would you like me to start ;D
Bullfrog 451

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 05:48:42 pm »
My tub has 2-2speed pumps and a circ pump.  We use the low speed more than 90% of the time.  I wouldn't own a tub without the 2 speeds.

Rayman
If using the low speed as much as Rayman, another consideration would be electricity savings over a single speed with jets adjusted down/off.  I would imagine the savings to be minimal but actual none-the-less.

As others have stated, the biggest difference would be in the decreased noise though most of the noise seems to come from jets rather than motors in my tub.  I think this is true for all the tubs that mix air with water in the jet systems rather than through a separate blower system...correct?  And then there's the added noise of the blower systems but that's another thread...

Would there be any extra wear on the motors/plumbing if most/all jets were adjusted down/off?
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

In Canada eh

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 05:52:52 pm »
Would there be any extra wear on the motors/plumbing if most/all jets were adjusted down/off?

Windsurfdog,

No,  you can completely deadhead a centrifigal pump for short periods with no damage to the impellor.  Long term deadheading could damage the mechanical seal
Bullfrog 451

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 05:59:01 pm »
I have a cameo.  The seat with the one speed pump is way to powerful.  I wish they would of made another seat using the pump or send it to the foot massage as it just does not have enough power.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 06:10:26 pm »

Windsurfdog,

No,  you can completely deadhead a centrifigal pump for short periods with no damage to the impellor.  Long term deadheading could damage the mechanical seal
Thanks for the reply, Canman.  Do you think extended deadheading could encourage plumbing leaks in well constructed systems?  Certainly I would think that systems where qualitly control (especially at glued fittings) is dubious that the extra pressure may have its effects.  
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 06:12:34 pm »
What ever you do , DONT dead head on a 1997 Sundance.
-SpaMan~

In Canada eh

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 06:32:17 pm »
 Certainly I would think that systems where qualitly control (especially at glued fittings) is dubious that the extra pressure may have its effects.  

Windsurfdog

Good point, I missed that one.  Yes, it probably would cause some problems in the piping if done for a long time or  repetitively
Bullfrog 451

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 06:51:23 pm »
Now there is an idea that I think I would like! Variable speed would be a nice option as long as the pumps are reliable.

Tanstaafl

easy to do once tub is out of warranty

Lets see                  2 variable frequency drives(weatherproof of course)
                              2  DC motors for above
                              1  weatherproof control panels

$10,000

When would you like me to start ;D

Will have to get back to you on that one. Still have a few years left on the warranty! ;)
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 06:51:31 pm »
You don't need 2-speed pumps for the jet pressure adjustments as you use diverters for that.  My Jacuzzi has one 2-speed and one single speed.  There is little or no theraputic value in the 2-speed at the lowest speed (no matter the diverter settings).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:51:56 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 07:01:44 pm »
You don't need 2-speed pumps for the jet pressure adjustments as you use diverters for that.  My Jacuzzi has one 2-speed and one single speed.  There is little or no theraputic value in the 2-speed at the lowest speed (no matter the diverter settings).

I completely agree.  Any value to the two speed pump on low is now achieved with the high flow circ pump.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 07:01:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42