What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Waterfall added after tub finished?  (Read 5665 times)

inigo montoya

Waterfall added after tub finished?
« on: September 10, 2006, 11:29:34 am »
I recently bought a sunbelt spa at one of the home shows here in Houston, direct from Sunbelt.  The model and package included a waterfall feature.  After it was set up and installed, was relaxing in it that evening when my wife asked "where's the waterfall"?  Very good question...
Talked with the salesman and at least got no bs from him.  Admitted he flat out forgot to write it down on his spec sheet when sent it back to be manufactured.  He offered $150 worth of chemicals for his mistake.  I said we really wanted the feature.  He asked me to check if there was a blank for the airflow valve as well as the blank where the waterfall fits, there is not.  That blank has already been run as a control to a middle seat.
I left a couple of messages and haven't heard back.
My long preface for the questions 1) other than aesthetics, does the waterfall help out any way as a functional feature for those who have it; 2) Does anyone know if having to reroute the wiring, after finishing out with foam and everything, would cause more harm to the system than it is worth anyway?
Screwing up the systems integrity by having them install it onsite at my house is the main concern.  May just not bother with it and take the chemicals but wanted other's input.

Hot Tub Forum

Waterfall added after tub finished?
« on: September 10, 2006, 11:29:34 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Waterfall added after tub finished?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 11:43:35 am »
About the only time we turn the waterfalls on is to make sure water gets circulated and itsn't getting stagnant in there. I'll bet they charge more than $150 for it.  Make sure the $150 in chemicals is at his cost not the retail cost  ;)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

badval

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 12:32:48 pm »
How long ago is "recently"?  Possibly they would switch it out for what you actually ordered (and I'm assuming paid )for?

Ours has 3 waterfalls & I didn't really think I cared if it had any, but after using it, we really enjoy having them & are glad they're installed.  If I never had them, I wouldn't miss them, but if I went out tonight & they magically disappeared, I'd miss them.  Maybe because the view from our tub isn't wonderful - all you really see is sky, privacy fence, back of my house, & parts of neighbors' houses - so we value the aesthetics of the tub more than other people do?  If I had a nice view of fields, trees, mountains, lake, ocean, etc things like waterfalls, fountains, & colored lights wouldn't matter much.  Since I don't, those things make our tub more enjoyable.  YMMV

If you paid for a waterfall, I'd assume that's much more than a $150 option?  If you didn't get charged for it & you can live w/o it, it might be better to take the chems or other accessories.  If you did get charged for it, you should get a refund.  You said the waterfall was "part of a package" - did you get the rest of that package?  I would guess its more trouble than its worth for them and you to try to retrofit one into a finished system.

inigo montoya

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 02:32:08 pm »
Sunbelt is actually a local manufacturer so they have the ability to come out and retrofit better than a dealer would but I agree that a switch would be better.  I called him the day after it was delivered so no real question on timing.  One problem is that I noticed the waterfall missing on the invoice/breakdown and he said it was standard with the model.  This was obviously a lie (or at least mistake) since it isn't and when I called to point it out he went to the invoice and said that he forgot to write it down.  I was expecting a total disavowal "we never said that" but at least he didn't go that route (yet). Problem being I don't have written proof that it was supposed to be there.  
They suggested the chemical or retrofit when I asked about a switch, was trying to figure out if a manufacturer done retrofit (at my house though) would be a problem or to get real bitchy with them.
FYI I'm in Houston so freezing is not a big issue we only get a few a year so if tubing more exposed probably not a big deal as long as some insulation

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 02:42:55 pm »
Did they charge you for the waterfall? I'd make sure I didn't pay for it and then I'd take the additional $150 in free chems (but that's just me).

Hmmm, I wonder how many peopele who've had the spa for awhile would sell the waterfall in their spa for $150 if they could?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 02:49:19 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 04:29:27 pm »
Hmmm, I wonder how many peopele who've had the spa for awhile would sell the waterfall in their spa for $150 if they could?
That might be the best question yet.

But if you want the thing, have them come install it. Whatever they change or goof up is up to them to make good.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 04:33:36 pm »
I never thought of it, but I'm on the same wave as badval.....viewable features are more important to me if the view outside the tub is limited....although, it IS nice to hear the trickling of the water, too...
In any case, if you were told it was part of the package, assured that it was STANDARD, and expected it...then IMHO you're entitled to getting what you were told you were ordering. If that means that they've got to take the current tub and replace it because it's not the same mold (or whatever), so be it. If, however, you've had a change of heart, decided you like the tub just fine without the waterfall feature...then I'd take them up on a "reasonable" recompense of chemicals. This one's definitely in your ball court, and you've currently got the option to go either way...how do YOU feel about the waterfall? Is there a tub with water that's got the feature in their showroom that you can check out, just to be more certain?
Best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 10:56:07 pm »
How much was the price of the waterfall feature on your original invoice?  Get that back in CASH, not supplies.   As a matter of fact, since it's his fault, you should get money back PLUS chemincals.  Then again, I am not a dealer but rather a regular consumer
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »
The sound of my dual waterfalls almost always make me have to p.  But I sure enjoy listening to and watching them while soaking.  
Just thought I would throw that in....   ::)

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 11:46:53 am »
Our tub has a waterfall which we don't use very often.
Tub is at our weekend home which is on a lake, so we don't need to watch the waterfall in our tub, as we can clearly see the lake, trees and stars. Others may not have that option.
The one benefit we found was that during the super hot summer our tub did gain temp., to cool it back down we removed the cover and turned the jets and waterfall on full. That worked very well to bring the temp. back down in a relatively short time period to our prefered soak temp.
For us if we didn't have the waterfall it wouldn't be a big deal, for others it may be important.
All this is for what it's worth :)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 11:52:53 am »
The one benefit we found was that during the super hot summer our tub did gain temp., to cool it back down we removed the cover and turned the jets and waterfall on full. That worked very well to bring the temp. back down in a relatively short time period to our prefered soak temp.

A good point. I've done that as well.  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 12:54:59 pm »
I find the waterfalls tend to just add noise and make music harder to hear and so rarely use them (my tub has 2). If I don't have the stereo on then they are fine but I still tend to rarely use them except to add chemicals when I try to make sure all jets are open.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 10:41:21 pm »
I sure wouldn't sell my HS BellaFontanaŽ for $150.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 10:41:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42