What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: deck or crushed stone under tub?  (Read 38026 times)

Styx555

deck or crushed stone under tub?
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:26:05 am »
I am starting laying the groundwork for  a new tub and was initially contemplating digging about 8 inches, filling with crushed stone (about 6 inches) and sand (about 1 inch) and then putting patio stones down. The tub would rest on the patio stone. However, I am now contemplating not putting patio stone down. Rather having the tub rest directly on the crushed stone and sand. I would then stone the area around the tub and not waste stone under the tub where you could not see it anyways.

Is this reccommended or are there issues with putting the tub directly on the crushed stone/sand?

Hot Tub Forum

deck or crushed stone under tub?
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:26:05 am »

The_Bends

Re: deck or crushed stone under tub?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:11:06 am »
Not if you own an Arctic!  ;)
Arctic Spas Hydrotherapy Technician

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 11:17:16 am »
I did a slab for mine and I'm very happy with it.

Styx555

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 11:30:46 am »
I'm considering either a Sundance or Hotsprings. Slab is something we are not considering as it would be too costly. With either of the above 2, is the crushed stone/sand possible?

jersey

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 11:37:07 am »
I have mine on pea gravel....about 8 inches.....no problems.... but to be honest if I could do it all over again...(and I will in the spring) I would do a slab....It is a very messy apearence, the pea gravel and I don't like the way it looks....and a slab wouldn't have cost us that much more $...I had paid someone to do it....Like they say hindsight is always 20/20....that has just been my experience...

but to answer your question I have had no problems with the stone and it still sits perfectly level after one year  :)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 11:39:34 am »
I'm considering either a Sundance or Hotsprings. Slab is something we are not considering as it would be too costly. With either of the above 2, is the crushed stone/sand possible?

That would work fine but I would suggest building a simple box w/PT wood and filling it with the stone. That way the stone can't get washed away over time. I usually see it done that way with pea gravel in it and if the bax is just slightly larger than the fottprint of the spa pedestal then you won't even see the gravel.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 11:56:17 am »
The reason many people give for going with gravel is that they may want to remove it later.

I have taken out many slabs. Many reasons: replace with larger, smaller, to replace one at ground-level with one set down, to match a new patio, or to upgrade to a larger AND thicker one for a bigger spa, to put the conduit back into the right place, to run in drainage, because it cracked - and a few other reasons I can't recall just now.

Give me two guys and a jackhammer and the thing will be gone in a matter of hours. I have also had to remove gravel beds - to pour slabs - and it can be just as time-consuming, though the jackhammer isn't used - until we get to the soil underneath.

Also, the cost of labor is a factor: but if you can do a gravel bed yourself you can do cement: you don't have to put a glossy perfect finish on it for it to be useful under a spa.

Just some thoughts.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 12:06:43 pm »
Pouring a concrete slab is not expensive, and it provides the most solid base.

Styx555

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 12:48:10 pm »
If I were to the the pea stone, I would create a box with 4 * 4 pressure treated wood first to avoid drainage of the stone. I have a quote for the slab and it would be much more than the pea stone.

I have never done concrete work myself? How expensive would it be to do an area 10*10 if I did it myself? What is the difficulty level in doing that?

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 12:57:58 pm »
Slab is the best option, but the paver pad would work fine.

Worse comes to worst you can always shim a Hot Spring and (I think) Sundance.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 01:15:49 pm »
You might want to consider a Handi-Spa-Pad .  I have had my spa on one for over 3 years and it hasn't moved one bit.  Its easy to put down and a lot cheaper than a concrete pad.  If you google you can find one one line for <$300 or at your dealer.

anne

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 01:25:59 pm »
I had the same debate- I did not want the cost and permanence of a slab, so I went with cushed rock in a box of pressure treated wood. It works fine, but I do sort of wish I had done pavers or something on top for a cleaner appearance. I had to have the box bigger than my tub because of my wrap around steps. I wanted them at the level of the tub, which is a few inches higher than the flagstone surrounding the tub, because of the box being 4" high.  I tried to have any perimeter gravel exposed covered by stones, but it is still a little messy. If you can make the box just big enough for the tub, so there is little to no exposed gravel, I think you'll be happy. If the edges will be exposed, I'd go back to your gravel/sand/paver idea.

Here it is:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 01:28:19 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of &nbsp;an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 02:44:08 pm »
I created a wooden box of 2x6 lumber and filled with crushed gravel and topped with inexpensive 1ft x 1ft pavers.  

Mine is just about the same size as my tub (you can only see the PT lumber).  

If you pour a concrete slab, you'll want to rent one of those portable concrete mixers.  If my math is correct, for a 10ft x 10ft slab at 4inches deep, you'll need about 1.25 cubic yards of concrete.  That means you'll need about 75 of the 60 lbs bags of Quickrete (according to the quickrete website calculator).
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Webini

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 02:46:39 pm »

That would work fine but I would suggest building a simple box w/PT wood and filling it with the stone. That way the stone can't get washed away over time. I usually see it done that way with pea gravel in it and if the bax is just slightly larger than the fottprint of the spa pedestal then you won't even see the gravel.

I just finished my install.  I went down 8" with a box of 2x10 pressure treated.  Covered with 3/4" stone.  I made the box 6" bigger than the tub on all sides.  Next step is pavers from the deck to the tub.

The worst part was the digging.  Took a lot longer than I thought it would (8 hours).  Your soil may be easier.  Here in Maine there are many rocks to deal with.

My Jetsetter got delivered at noon.  This is the worst part - waiting for it to come up to temperature.  Hopefully I'll get the first soak tomorrow after work.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of &nbsp;an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 03:04:04 pm »
Here are some photos of my handy work (as you can see in the 2nd photo, I had a little help).

Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 03:04:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42