What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Top 3 brands  (Read 39690 times)

Dreamerntn

Top 3 brands
« on: September 04, 2006, 03:48:13 pm »
I have been reading for a while here. We are looking for a spa that will seat 6-8 people. I have fibromyalgia so the quality of the jets are important to me to help with the muscle aches. I have 5 teenagers and little time so prefer brands that have a track record for trouble free operation. It is very hard to know where to start with so many models.  :-/ Would anyone be so kind as to tell me the top three or 4 brands. That would at least be a starting place.   I would also appreciate it if you could tell me the 2 or three brands to stay away from. thank you  ::)   Ann

Hot Tub Forum

Top 3 brands
« on: September 04, 2006, 03:48:13 pm »

Reese

Re: Top 3 brands
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 04:33:22 pm »
The list of top quality, relatively trouble-free spas is a lot longer than 3, and the list of brands to avoid is nearly unlimited, as anyone can build a spa in their garage.  You are better off to focus on what is available at local dealers, their reputation and commitment to customer satisfaction and service.  Then look for a model that fits your family's needs and budget.  To go search out a specific brand because somebody (likely a salesperson of that particular brand) touts it on an internet forum really won't help you sort this decision out.  Good shopping!

paul

• New Optima Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 04:46:48 pm »
I have the same condition.   Master brand has the strongest jets, but I ended up going with the Sundance Oltima.  The jets in 2 of 4 seats are strong enough for me (and I like it very strong), and the foot dome allows you to get yourself into AND STAY IN the perfect position for the jets to hit your trigger points.  Also brand is very high quality.  I've had no problems.  I sleep much better at night - much less waking up in the middle of the night to find a ledge or something else to press against my back to relieve the pain keeping me awake.

good luck

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 05:01:29 pm »
First I would say to that any spa that will genuinely hold 6 to 8 people and not just have 6 to 8 seating positions will probably not be a "therapy" focus spa most that I have seen that truly have the room for 16 feet and legs are more of a social spa with nice jets but not focused therapy.....there are a probably 10 or so brands that are most commonly recommended and all will serve you well with each doing a few things different than the others....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 05:30:52 pm »
First I would say to that any spa that will genuinely hold 6 to 8 people and not just have 6 to 8 seating positions will probably not be a "therapy" focus spa most that I have seen that truly have the room for 16 feet and legs are more of a social spa with nice jets but not focused therapy.....there are a probably 10 or so brands that are most commonly recommended and all will serve you well with each doing a few things different than the others....

I think what you said here has merit and probably true a great deal, but not 100%  We have a tub Dynasty has always marketed as a 6 person tub, and it does seat 6 comfortably, but there is only 3 in our family.  We got open seating so we could move around and let the jets hit us where we needed it and our frequently not sitting in a particular seat.   We have two strong pumps with diverters and the ability to shut off jets as needed sending more pressure to the others.  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 05:54:14 pm »
Bill have you had 6 adults sit comfortably in the spa....Marquis Epic as example has the largest foot well I have seen in any 8 foot spa...but I would not suggest 6 people in it....you can do it but 4 to 5 are really ideal.....Bill also just to clarify....I agree very few things are 100% thats why I used the word probably .....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 01:04:58 pm by Mendocino101 »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 07:44:12 pm »
I have a serious question although it may sound goofy ...

How does one keep the water level up in a spa that 6 people sit in?

My spa can "sit" up to 7 people but at around the 4 people mark I have water spilling out all over, I can't imagine 6 or 7. My filter has a weir door and I've noticed that if the water is below a certain point, my pump(s)  (I think it may only be pump 1 since it does intake from the filter area) will surge when running and no one is in the tub.

I would think that all tubs have this problem.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 08:47:20 pm »
HotSpring, TigerRiver, Sundance.

Stay away from anything you can't feel, see and touch, or you're uncomfortable with. Unless your the type to take chances.

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 08:55:37 pm »

Stay away from anything you can't feel, see and touch, or you're uncomfortable with. Unless your the type to take chances.

Those are the TOP 3 highest priced spas  ::) ... Not necessarily the Top 3 best!  Let's keep it real!

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 09:05:09 pm »

Those are the TOP 3 highest priced spas  ::) ... Not necessarily the Top 3 best!  Let's keep it real!

I beg to differ about your price comment.   That may have been true in the past, but is no longer the case.  There are certainly others more expensive than Hot Spring and Sundance.  

To the original question:  Top 3 of what?  Sales?  Price?  Quality?

Top in sales is probably Hot Spring, Sundance and probably Cal Spas.  Yes Cal Spas sells a lot of spas.

Top in quality is subjective at best.  You will get some to agree on 3 of the top, but whatever some agree on, others will disagree.

Top in price varies widely by market since not all brands are sold in all markets.

If you want some of the best to choose from, look at the following:

Hot Spring, Sundance, Marquis, Caldera, D1, etc.  

The best thing you can do is shop all your dealers.  Find the spa and dealer you like, then wet test the spas you have narrowed down to.  Only you can decide the best spa for you.  And you can only do that by testing them.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 09:10:11 pm »
I agree with the above.  If they won't let you wet test, then don't buy from them.

Any reputable dealer will arrange a wet test for you.

I've done a lot of research, and I don't see much difference between Caldara, Hot Spring & Sundance (by Hot Spring I mean Watkins, who also makes Tiger River).  So, go with the dealer you feel the most comfortable with, and/or the best price you can get.

I hate sleazy car-salesman type dealers.  We went with Hot Spring (2006 Grandee)  because they were the mose straight forward, honest seeming guys.  This is more about the dealer than the tub.  Here in San Diego, CA, we have dealers selling all the main brands, so we had all the choices.

The dealer you buy from is the one who will be doing any warranty service you need, (which, from my readings here, is not uncommon) plus arranging delivery, setup, and instructing you on maintenence, so a dealer you trust is important.

If you wet test a few, you will know which one you like the best.

-geekd

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 09:44:30 pm »
Hey, I can only go with my shopping experience and HS was way more money for what you got, the dealer wouldn't even talk to me about Tiger River. Sundance seemed a little pricy for what you got also, maybe not as bad as Hot Springs but still a little too pricey for it's features. Yes, D1 Bay series is $10K+, Arctic and Artesian can be just as expensive but those are for the people who got the money and it's no object- not someone like me who was on a budget.

I laugh when people name the best tubs -  Hot Springs and Sundance. I've said this before - I don't know how my Artesian will stack up to a Hot Springs, Sundance or any other company in 5, 10 or 20 years from now but I don't think any tub is what it used to be. I've also said that these brands aren't Maytags but neither are Maytags anymore. I see a lot of "the best" names on these forums with owners having problems, some being taken care of and some not including Artesian. As far as Cal Spas, they have an impressive look to them, a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm in 100% agreement that hopefully we all find a good dealer. Even though Cal Spas has a bad reputation it sounds like Spaman took care of his customers even though it was a Cal.

Steer people away from junk and stop advertizing your brand - BE A PERSON, NOT A SALES PERSON!

Reese

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 09:44:32 pm »
C'mon you should have at least put a "Cheesy" face on that one!  By the time the rest of the dealers check in from the holiday, there should be several self-serving posts like that for Dreamer to choose from. :P  The fact is, there are a lot of good brands out there.  Anybody that can't come up with at least 8 names worthy of consideration isn't giving it much thought, and IMO there are more than that!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:16:51 pm by Reese »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 09:56:07 pm »
I'm entitled to my opinion. I'm sure others will offer their thoughts, and I'm glad you offered yours.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 09:56:32 pm by hottub.pool_boy »
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

In Canada eh

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 09:58:27 pm »
Would anyone be so kind as to tell me the top three or 4 brands.

Ann,

I think it would be easier to name a top 10 or 12 because any ranking of a top 3 would be subjective.  Dealers will defend and pump up what they sell and owners what they purchased

Here goes IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER ;)

Bullfrog(cause thats what we have) ;D
           Hotspring
           Caldera
           Marquis
           Artesian
           D1
           Jacuzzi
           Sundance
           Beachcomber

I left the tenth one out because I know I will be blasted with "you forgot ----------" ;)
                                                                                       "how dare you leave out ---------" ;)

Really the best hot tub is subjective to youself.  We happened to buy a Bullfrog but that was more because of the reputation of the dealer we purchased from and I think the Caldera was a close second.

Good luck in your search and remember to wet test before you buy
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 09:58:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42