What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover film??  (Read 1952 times)

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
Cover film??
« on: August 30, 2006, 01:51:17 pm »
I am totally in tune with cleaning and protecting the exterior of my cover with marine protectant like the one Doc sells.  However, after 3 months, I am starting to feel a slick film on the interior of the cover, especially where the cover rests on the fiberglass of the spa shell.  

I have since wiped it with a clean rag towel, but I am a bit apprehensive to introduce anythign to the water that I don't have to (my water is in balance and clear, and I am proud of my achievement!!) to clean it and I assume if it is inside the skirt, it will get into the water.

What do y'all do for this?!?!?

Hot Tub Forum

Cover film??
« on: August 30, 2006, 01:51:17 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Cover film??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 02:24:06 pm »
I am thinking you should wipe down the inside of your cover with a bleach solution because you may be accumulating slime from some sort of growth, bacterial...etc.  Maybe someone who has experienced this will comment, but if the film seems to be originating from the area that doesn't come in contact with the sanitized water in your tub
(just moisture and heat), you may be culturing some "critters" that you won't like. I would wipe it down, let the solution have some contact time, and dry the inside of the cover before replacing it.

Good luck
Support your dealer so they can support you!

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:46:42 pm »
The film is not visible or colored, and the only way I notice is when I manipulate the cover, I can feel it only along the edges where teh cover makes contact on the fiberglass.  I do not feel any slime on the part that is exposed to the water.  

But is it OK to assume that the bleach will not affect my water chemstry if I wipe it off after a time?  I was almost thinking of mixing some water and a little diclor in a bowl and wiping that on and letting it sit for 5 mins then wiping off with a water wet towel.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:34:30 pm »
I am hoping that someone will come on and agree with my remedy. I thought a 10% bleach solution would work as it is a real effective disinfectant and would be compatable with your spa chemicals (although there is no reason that you should get the bleach solution into your water). I am more convinced that you do have some sort of growth under that area of your cover because ,as I said, it is not in the areas on your cover that your dichor would affect.  Why can't you just flip your cover open and clean off those areas? I don't know what kind of cover lift you have, but you probably can do it from outside of the tub. I don't know about mixing the dichlor, I am not sure if that is safe and if the concentration is tooooo high, it won't be effective and it may damage something..Lets see if someone else will comment before you do anything.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 07:10:58 am »
Hit it with bleach and water as Boni suggested!

Let it sit on the cover a while to work.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 07:10:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42