What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Importance of a routine  (Read 2145 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
Importance of a routine
« on: August 30, 2006, 09:34:40 am »
Just read GaryJr's post about adding chems to the tub and the reaction of the water that followed.  Vinny mentioned not adding enzymes when the chlorine is high...

I myself have managed so far on what seems to be dumb luck, but I am seeing the great importance of a routine. I do not have one yet. I'd also like to not be "wasting" chems by adding them at the wrong time where they then may become ineffective.  

Is there a list of rules that describes what to add, how much time to let pass before adding the next chemical, what chems should not be mixed on the same day?  :-/

Would some of you share your routines please?  Thanks!
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

Importance of a routine
« on: August 30, 2006, 09:34:40 am »

Movinon

• Grilln and chilln
Re: Importance of a routine
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:04:01 am »
Yes, please, as a new Vanguard owner I would love to get the same kind of information.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:33:44 am »
My routine is pretty simple and quite effective.  

After each soak I add 2 tsp. of dichlor, and run pumps to circulate.  
If we go more than a few days in a row without using the spa, I add a couple tsp. of dichlor anyway.    
 Every couple week or two so depending on use, I shock with about 2 tablespoons of dichlor.  
Every month or six weeks I shock with MPS- not sure why, other than I have a container full of the stuff left over from my bromine days.

Weekly, I test the water for Ph and alk, and adjust if necessary.  Usually not necessary.  I also add a metal and scale control product every week- not sure if it's necessary, but I still use it.  

I spot test for chlorine, usually after I shock, just to be sure the level is down enough if we want to soak.  When I switched to dichlor, I tested for chlorine a lot, to get familiar with how much to use and when, etc...

Change water every 3 or 4 months, clean filters as needed, intensive cleaning between water changes.

Not much more to it than that.

Brewman

Movinon

• Grilln and chilln
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 10:40:56 am »
Excellent, thank you.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 03:20:02 pm »
My routine is pretty simple and quite effective.  

After each soak I add 2 tsp. of dichlor, and run pumps to circulate.  
If we go more than a few days in a row without using the spa, I add a couple tsp. of dichlor anyway.    
 Every couple week or two so depending on use, I shock with about 2 tablespoons of dichlor.  
Every month or six weeks I shock with MPS- not sure why, other than I have a container full of the stuff left over from my bromine days.

Weekly, I test the water for Ph and alk, and adjust if necessary.  Usually not necessary.  I also add a metal and scale control product every week- not sure if it's necessary, but I still use it.  

I spot test for chlorine, usually after I shock, just to be sure the level is down enough if we want to soak.  When I switched to dichlor, I tested for chlorine a lot, to get familiar with how much to use and when, etc...

Change water every 3 or 4 months, clean filters as needed, intensive cleaning between water changes.

Not much more to it than that.

Brewman's routine is right on the money, IMO, except for the metal and scale control.  I use the "rule of least chemicals" which encourages using the least amount of chems possible.  Unless you have really whacked out water, which is certainly possible if you are on a private well, I would leave additives like this out of my routine.  I am on a municipal water system and have never added metal and scale control--after 2 years, there are no signs that I needed it.  Remember, everything added to the water contributes to TDS...don't add it if you don't need it...or even if you are not sure if you need it or not.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 03:46:52 pm »
I concur, wsd.  I started using the stuff because it was offered as part of Brilliance's bromine kit, and continued to use the stuff after going to dichlor.
  It's kind of a not wanting to upset the apple cart thing- with this routine my water has never been easier to maintain, and I am hesitant to change anything in the routine, including nixing the metal and scale control.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 03:46:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42