What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Artesian Owners With Circ Pumps Read This ...  (Read 6361 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Artesian Owners With Circ Pumps Read This ...
« on: August 24, 2006, 07:45:41 pm »
... I had some e-mails back and forth with Artesian and I got some info. This info applies to 2005 models and up

The circ pumps are 0.25 HP which is about  190 watts.    190 watts x 24 hours x 30 days = 136.8 KWH

That may sound high but they also informed me that the pump runs at 40 GPM  :o That's awefully high for a circ pump. I believe all Artesians in the Platinum, Gold and Island series have the circ pump plumbed only to the filter so ... your tub is filtering 57,600 gallons a day.

I thought I would pass this on to my fellow Artesian owners so that as you read through these posts and see what's being said about filtering you can sleep at night knowing that you tub is keeping your water really clean and can filter with the best of them (or maybe is the best of them). 8-)

Hot Tub Forum

Artesian Owners With Circ Pumps Read This ...
« on: August 24, 2006, 07:45:41 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Artesian Owners With Circ Pumps Read This ...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:46:15 pm »
That is a tremedous amount of filtration! Wow.

Can you cut that down with a timeclock or other setting if you want to?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 11:02:47 pm »
Chas,

I think the newer Artesians can actually control the circ pump flow (on/off) with it's controller. My Island has a simple controller (it's a Gecko with LED readout - not fancy but I can see the temp and what LED's are on without my glasses; I couldn't do that with the new LCD screens! -LOL) the only thing I can control is whats called the filter time. The filter time is for running the cleaning cycle on non circ pump Islands but for circ pump Islands this feature controls the amount of time the ozonator runs.

Vinny

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
HS Circ. Pump
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 11:35:42 pm »
Does anyone know the HP rating and amperage load for a HotSpring circ. pump? I'm hoping it doesn't pull 136.8 KWH per month.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:26:31 am »
40 gpm WOW that thing moves alot of water but, it does make sense of your ozone test.  The "bugs" in your contact chamber were flying right past  :o
Bullfrog 451

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:40:29 am »
Yup, I was told the circ pump is .8 amps, which would hold true the approx 190watts. Certainly interesting how many GPM it's pumping though the circ pump though.
Curious as to how the electricity used compare to that of other tubs with 24 hour circ pumps.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: HS Circ. Pump
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 10:28:05 am »
Does anyone know the HP rating and amperage load for a HotSpring circ. pump? I'm hoping it doesn't pull 136.8 KWH per month.

The HS circ pump is 85 watts. It moves only about 5-6 gpm. It's primary job is to keep the water moving through the heater and ozone - and to keep the water in the tub moving just enough to keep the temp even throughout. It also pulls through a filter, but that is not intended to be the main filtration.

85 watts would equal about two killiwatthours per day.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JeffB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 10:52:49 am »
Vinny, thanks for posting that information. I knew my circ pump was pushing alot more water than the Laing circ pump on my old Sundance. My controls are like yours, and I cannot control how long the circ pump runs. It runs 24/7. I have a CD ozonator with the upgrade Propure ozone mixing chamber. So far, I have been running the ozone 24/7. I have a question for you. I believe you sanitize with clorine. When you put it in after using the tub, do you run some or all of the jets, or do just put it in and let the circ pump circulate the clorine? I use bromine right now. No problems, but I sometimes get an itchy back, and I may switch to clorine just to experiment. At 40 gpm, I am wondering if that may be sufficient alone to circulate the clorine added after each use.  Jeff

hotelier

• Artesian Onyx Owner
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 11:50:33 am »
I don't see how the 40 GPM is correct.  That would man that the circ pump would fill my tub in 11 minutes.  Judging by the feel of the flow rate vs the garden hose when I fill, that is not happening.  It takes me 90-120 minutes to fill the tub with the hose.  The Artesian webside specs the circ pump at 11 GPM.  That seems more reasonable.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 12:12:17 pm »
Beachcomber (hushpump) circ pump is .125 hp (1/8). and does 27 GPM.
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 01:00:55 pm »
Jeff, I put on all my pumps when I add chlorine, you want as much turbulance as possible to melt and mix the dichlor. Also you want to make sure that it gets into all the pipes, diverters and jets.

I have my ozonator running 24/7 now and I still don't smell any ozone. I have an e-mail to Del to see what my ozonator's output is ... Prozone rates their PZ1 at 8 grams a day.

hotelier, the circ pump in my tub looks nothing like the circ pump on their website; mine looks like a therapy pump. As far as the GPM - this is what I got from Artesian and I do know that the suction side tubing is quite a large diameter. The circ pump also has tubes on the return that run to all the therapy pumps and I'm sure that some water flows through the therapy jets too - how much I couldn't tell you. I don't know how many GPM I get from my hose as I have never did a bucket test.

If rayman is saying Beachcomber is 1/2 the HP of what Artesian is stating and running at 27 GPM then it might be true.

Gomboman, you see nothing to worry about - you got a puny little pump! ;)

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 01:12:26 pm »
Vinny -
If you call Artesian and talk to their tech support, they can make you up and sell you a purepro ozone tube to add to your existing ozonator setup. I spoke with them about this and they said it also has some sort of metal deflectors in the tube which I think is suppose to help break apart the air bubbles before entering the tub.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 01:56:40 pm »
40 gpm???  That's 2/3 of a gallon/second...2400 gal/hr...which seems awfully high for circ pump.  Are you sure you got accurate information?  Or am I just showing my ignorance?  It just seems like overkill to me...as well as overkill to the Texas Administrative Code--General Sanitation Standards for Public Pools and Spas which states that "a spa recirculation system shall turn over the entire spa water capacity at a minimum of once every 30 minutes based on the manufacturer's recommended rate of the filter, with a clean filter".  So, if your tub is 400 gallons, you would need a minimum circulation rate of 800 gal/hr. to meet their requirements.  I wonder-- at 3 times that rate, is there that much to gain?  While you can rest well figuring your tub's filtration system is more than adequate, I hope you don't lose any sleep over the added cost, though we're probably only talking about less than $5.00/month or so.  

On the other hand, it is nice to hear about another manufacturer besides HS who provides adequate sanitation systems for their tubs <tongue firmly planted in cheek> ;)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 04:38:01 pm »
Sledjunkie, thanks for that info ... maybe once the tub comes out of warranty and I buy a new ozonator I'll look into it, right now it is running 24/7 and I don't smell a thing although I do have a foam blanket that may be helping with keeping the ozone in the water.

40 gpm???  That's 2/3 of a gallon/second...2400 gal/hr...which seems awfully high for circ pump.  Are you sure you got accurate information?  Or am I just showing my ignorance?  It just seems like overkill to me...as well as overkill to the Texas Administrative Code--General Sanitation Standards for Public Pools and Spas which states that "a spa recirculation system shall turn over the entire spa water capacity at a minimum of once every 30 minutes based on the manufacturer's recommended rate of the filter, with a clean filter".  So, if your tub is 400 gallons, you would need a minimum circulation rate of 800 gal/hr. to meet their requirements.  I wonder-- at 3 times that rate, is there that much to gain?  While you can rest well figuring your tub's filtration system is more than adequate, I hope you don't lose any sleep over the added cost, though we're probably only talking about less than $5.00/month or so.  

On the other hand, it is nice to hear about another manufacturer besides HS who provides adequate sanitation systems for their tubs <tongue firmly planted in cheek> ;)

I have the e-mail from Artesian tech support and that's what they said - their high flo circ pumps are at 40 GPM with their 6 HP therapy pumps running at 200 GPM. It also states that the circ pumps are 0.25 HP pumps. My circ pump looks like a therapy pump - it's a 48 frame 240 volt pump - it's huge! I thougt they forgot to plumb in a circ pump when I saw it. I don't know what 40 GPM would look like in a tub (keepiing in mind that there are other tubes that come off the circ pump besides the main tube) but it does shoot the bubbles for a long distance (maybe 3 feet), I have a foot and a half long area that the bubbles come to the surface at.

Anyone who buys one of these things and are worried about an extra $10 - $15 a month sholdn't be owning one OR by a 1 to 2 person tub ... mine is a seven person tub that'll cost me about $60.00 to run in the winter. I'm not complaining ... it is an awesome tub!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 04:38:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42