What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: quick electrical help on HS needed  (Read 2315 times)

aaronr

quick electrical help on HS needed
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:45:09 pm »
I have a quick question for those of you who know.

My Vanguard is getting delivered and set up tommorrow. I am in a new construction and had the builder installed the 220 line when we built. There is a brand new, never used, breaker box out on the patio made by siemens. It has 2 breakers (both 30 amp) in it.

My hotsprings dealer told me I need to have that removed as I can only use the box from hotsprings that came with my tub, I was hoping to just change the one 30 amp to a 20 amp. They gave me a GE box that looks identical to the one already on the house.

Before I pay the electritian, do I need to really do this? will my warrannty only be good with the HS box?

Please advise if you know.
Thanks!
Aaron
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 10:46:34 pm by aaronr »

Hot Tub Forum

quick electrical help on HS needed
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:45:09 pm »

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
Re: quick electrical help on HS needed
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:01:28 pm »
aaronr,

Does the box on your house have a GFCI in it?  If not, you will definately want to change it out or at least make sure the circuit running to your tub is protected with a GFCI.

Jr

PSGM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 11:17:36 pm »
I am a HS dealer.  Provided the 20 and 30 amp breakers you use are GFCI's, you CAN use the box you've got installed.  It will not affect the warranty on the spa.  However, I would put the Hotspring box in.  Here's why:
If you have a breaker trip and the technician comes out and says you have a bad breaker, it's not ours (Hotspring), and you need to get an electrician out to change it, you will:
1) Pay for the spa technician to diagnose the problem
2) Pay for the electrician to replace the breaker

If you use the Hotspring box, the spa tech will have the correct breakers on his truck and, in such a situation, you'd be back up and running at no cost (since the breakers are covered under warranty).

You paid for the warranty on those breakers.  I would advise you to take advantage of it, even if it costs a little to change it out.

Enjoy the Vanguard - It's awesome!

aaronr

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 11:32:31 pm »
Cool, thanks! In that case I'll change it out to the HS box my dealer provided.

The electric guy said it will be about $100, and he'll give me a $50.00 credit to take the unused siemens box so it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the advice!
Aaron

I am a HS dealer.  Provided the 20 and 30 amp breakers you use are GFCI's, you CAN use the box you've got installed.  It will not affect the warranty on the spa.  However, I would put the Hotspring box in.  Here's why:
If you have a breaker trip and the technician comes out and says you have a bad breaker, it's not ours (Hotspring), and you need to get an electrician out to change it, you will:
1) Pay for the spa technician to diagnose the problem
2) Pay for the electrician to replace the breaker

If you use the Hotspring box, the spa tech will have the correct breakers on his truck and, in such a situation, you'd be back up and running at no cost (since the breakers are covered under warranty).

You paid for the warranty on those breakers.  I would advise you to take advantage of it, even if it costs a little to change it out.

Enjoy the Vanguard - It's awesome!

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:01:47 am »
I'm not sure if Siemens and GE use the same internal components but you could consider swapping breakers if they do.  If not and the mounting holes are the same, it realy is easy to swap them out yourself and keep the other breakers for backup.  I got sh** from some techs here a year ago for recommending that you install the breakers in the house with a disconnect outside but those breakers, 2 for HS and one for everybody else will not last as long outside and you will be glad you had the spares.  If you are in a northern climate as I am, the blowing snow getting into the box will do wonders for the breakers.  Keep the ones you've got for spares when you really need them.  You can probably buy a 20 amp Siemens at HD or Lowes and return the 30.
Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:07:42 am »
Breakers must be approved for the boxes that they're being installed in- it shoud say on the box documentation what breakers are compatible with the box.  Even if the breaker fits it still needs to be accepted/approved for the panel.  This is per NEC.
 I have a GE main panel in my house, and I'm pretty sure Siemens breakers are approved for use in that main panel, but check just to be sure.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:07:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42