What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical question  (Read 2311 times)

Styx555

electrical question
« on: August 22, 2006, 03:15:54 pm »
Still narrowing down my tub search, however I am planning on buidling a patio stone deck soon. I would like the electrical panel to be under the patio stone. Can this work be done before choosing a hottub? Can I do the wiring myself and then once I decide on a tub, get an electrician to complete the wiring? Can an electrician come now and do the wiring without the panel that usually comes with the tub?

Also, does anyone have pictures of wiring built into a deck for reference?

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

electrical question
« on: August 22, 2006, 03:15:54 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: electrical question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:22:47 pm »
Not sure if I'm following you 100%, but I'll take a crack at it.

Are you asking if the NEC required disconnect for the spa can be buried?  
If so, the answer is no.  It must be at least 5' from the spa water and within sightline to be compliant with NEC (Assuming you have to conform to NEC).

I'd settle on a spa before going too far with your wiring.  Once you choose a spa, that'll tell you what you need for wiring-
 Spas can be 120V or 220V, can be wired for many different amperages, some come with the required GFI breakers built in, many others do not.

You can do your own wiring, if your area allows homeowners to do their own wiring.
Most likely if they do, you'll need permits and inspections.  If you're not familiar with pool and spa wiring, consider hiring a pro- this is not a good learners project.  
 In my area, you can wire you own dwelling if it's owner occupied.  Businesses and rental must be done by a licensed electrician.  
 Rules in your area may vary- consult with whoever regulates the electric inspections in your area.

Brewman

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:31:11 pm »
Brew is right, homeowner or electrician. But go visit your building inspector, pull the permit, and he'll make sure you're doing it right. Talk to the dealer you're buying the spa from and bring their schematic with you.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:32:23 pm by hottub.pool_boy »
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:31:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42