What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question about Spa and vacation....  (Read 2857 times)

Hammster

Question about Spa and vacation....
« on: August 19, 2006, 11:36:36 pm »
DW and I are going on vacation for 9 days. No one will be around to monitor spa water chemistry or add any chemicals during that time. Draining the spa really isn't an option.
My spa holds 210 gallons water and we go in 20 minutes each night. I use Nature2 and mps primarily. 1 tsp Dichlor when water looks hazy which is rare. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll add a tsp or 2 of Dichlor and then turn off the spa power so it will cool all the way down. I plan to drain the spa when we return, but I'd prefer nothing grow in there while we are gone. So I'm thinking to turn it off so the temp doesn't grow things. The Dichlor should help with anything in the pipes.
Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Question about Spa and vacation....
« on: August 19, 2006, 11:36:36 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Question about Spa and vacation....
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 02:07:56 am »
I would think it would be better to turn the temp down, leave power on for circulation
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 05:16:35 am »
Yep, add extra dichlor and leave run with temp turned down.
Retired

Hammster

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 07:31:26 am »
What temp? I really don't want to come home to some kind of growth caused by the warm water.
Thanks.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 10:15:41 am »
Give it a shock dose of dichlor, about one to two tablespns, leave cover open for about twenty minutes, lower temp to 80-85, close and lock cover...should be nice and clear when you get back.

When you get back, add enough dichlor to get your free chlorine level to about 3 ppm.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 10:17:14 am by tony »

Hammster

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 10:32:00 am »
Give it a shock dose of dichlor, about one to two tablespns, leave cover open for about twenty minutes, lower temp to 80-85, close and lock cover...should be nice and clear when you get back.

When you get back, add enough dichlor to get your free chlorine level to about 3 ppm.

Tony, Thanks.
I plan to drain it when I get back from vacation as it will be due for a water and Nature2 change at that time. So your recommendation looks perfect and I should have clear, bug free water to drain when I get back.

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 10:26:11 pm »
Hammster:
I am a relative Newbie, about 2 months into our tub, will share my experiance for what it's worth.
Our tub is at our weekend cabin (Northern Wisconsin). We (usually 2 people) use it for 2-3 soaks per weekend, it is then unattended all week.
After the initial filling (475 gals. of very clear well water) and chems being adjusted, I now have found a routine that works good for our tub:
1. Upon arrival on Fridays I check with a strip. So far PH and Alk are have been close to "right-on" needing very little adjusting.
2. I then do a shock with MPS, circulate and wait about one hour. Then add enough dichlor to bring it up to 3ppm. set temp @101F.
3. After using on the weekends just before leaving I do a shock with Dichlor to bring it up to about 10+ppm. Circulate for about 30 minutes, then turn off jet pump, set temp at 98F and cover.
4. Our tub does have on Ozonator with 24/7 circ. pump.
5. Every couple of weeks I do add a little Sea Kleer.
So far our tub water is crystal clear upon arriving the next weekend.
The PH and Alk are usually right-on, but the Chlorine is at about .5-1ppm. Then just start the routine over.
During the really hot days the tub water gained 3-5 degrees over the weekdays span.
Now it gains 1-2 degrees.
Cleaned the filters about every 2-3 weekends, but very liitle in them.
Haven't seen a need to change the water yet, as it looks crystal clear with no scum lines or anything like that, but will probably do so in the next 3-4 weeks whether it needs it or not.
Don't know if this has been any help or not, but so far it's working for ours.
Orangepeel

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:35:22 pm by ORANGEPEEL »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 10:26:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42