What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Quick generic question  (Read 2777 times)

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quick generic question
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:01:39 pm »
I use Bromine and ozone as my 'normal routine' for maintaining my tub.  Because of a rash etc. I will be 'restarting' my tub this weekend (with a through cleaing).  My question is: "I am thinking of first throwing in about 2 cups of BLEACH  (to aprox. a 500 gal. tub -4 person tub).., letting that circulate then draining after sitting over night.  WILL I HAVE PROBLEMS with either corrosion or some type of 'tub problem' by mixing the bleach with my base sytem of BROMINE and Ozone???  I had just read somewhere a while back that using both might cause a chemical reaction and cause deterioration or scaling etc of my metal components (heater)... ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE?

Hot Tub Forum

Quick generic question
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:01:39 pm »

SpaGirlAZ

• 2004 Sundance Marin
Re: Quick generic question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 03:37:42 pm »
I would think it's safe to say that bleach is a no-no. I

f you want to super sanitize, you need to super chlorinate. Get a good brand of chlorine (one that's 99% Dichlor), and superchlorination is 1 oz per 500 gallons. Then after you're drained and refilled, I would consider switching to a Chlorine system with the ozone. With bromine you sometimes have a hard time getting the to stay levels up, then once you finally get there, you end up over doing it and your spa smells like a chemical vat.

With chlorine, you only put a little in after you get out, then the ozone ends up eating it away over night, so the next time you get in it doesn't smell anymore. With bromine, it's always dissolving, so it's always in there. It seems like a bit more maintenence, but it's worth it because your spa experience is much better.

If you decide to go to chlorine, I'm sure if you put up a post about how to do it, you'll get a ton of replys and then take the advice and tweek it to how it fits your situation best. Good luck withy our situation!  :)

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:51:02 pm »
Joshua,

There is no problem of compatibility between chlorine and bromine added to the water.  The danger with dichlor and bromine is that they can react explosively in their dry state and should not be stored near each other.  Instead of using bleach, though, I recommend that you use granulated dichlor.  Add enough to get the free chlorine up to perhaps 10 ppm over night and then drain.  That would be roughly 3 TBS of dichlor.  97% dichlor is fine, 99% costs 50% more on average and there is no practical benefit.

If your rash problem re-occurs come back here and we'll discuss other options.

Regards,

Bill

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 03:51:17 pm »
One member, Serjicalstrike who had a recipe for disenfecting a tub did recomend bleach, but was sure to state not to let it sit in the tub for more than an hour or two or yo would risk damaging your eqipment.

So, the overnight thing sounds like a no-no.
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 03:55:19 pm »
Something I learned in my brewing experience is that chlorine bleach is corrosive to stainless steel.  My spa has stainless steel trim rings around the jets.  Not all spas do, but it's something to consider.

Brewman

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 04:00:11 pm »
2 cups of bleach may not raise the chlorine level to a high enough amount to affect the components of the spa.  If you are really trying to kill something in the spa, go ahead and add the whole gallon of bleach.  (For our customers with extreme biofilm, we have had them add up to 5 gallons of bleach)  Make sure all the valves are in the middle, and that all air controls are open.  Add the bleach, run everything for about 10-15 minutes, then shut all the pumps off.  Do this 2 or three times.  Like Drewstar said, don't leave the bleach in the spa for more than an hour or two.  Drain the spa and refill it to bring the concentration down.

Superchlorination means getting the level of chlorine up to 100ppm.  Depending on what is causing your rash, it may take more than 1 gallon of bleach to get the chlorine level to 100ppm.  

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 04:01:41 pm »
Something I learned in my brewing experience is that chlorine bleach is corrosive to stainless steel.  My spa has stainless steel trim rings around the jets.  Not all spas do, but it's something to consider.

Pretty much all our spas have SS trim rings on the jets and we have yet to have a problem.  Of course, it could also depend on what type of SS is being used.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 05:00:29 pm »
Only drawback i see is bleach is a HIGH pH product. If your tap water is low pH you'll be fine. Or lower the pH prior to adding bleach. Wipe the topsides of spa above the water line and underside of your cover with the super-chlorinated spa water as well. We recommend hitting those areas every 2nd or 3rd shock treatment as part of a regular routine.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 05:00:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42