What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foam in the water  (Read 7358 times)

green1320

Foam in the water
« on: August 15, 2006, 09:11:09 pm »
I have a fair amount of white bubbly foam appear when I turn the Jets on in my tub. This white bubbly foam disappears as soon as I turn the jets off. The water is very sparkly clear when the jets are off. Can anyone tell me what this foam is from and how to get rid of it? The tub is brand new as it has been running for only 5 days. The chemistry of the water now is TA 100, PH 8 (will adjust down whith ph down). Calcium hardness is 180. Thanks Steve
2006 Tiger River Caspian

Hot Tub Forum

Foam in the water
« on: August 15, 2006, 09:11:09 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Foam in the water
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 09:18:46 pm »
If it clears up and doesn't have any that floats around after the jets are off - it's the natural state of water after being in the tub a while. Although some people seem not to have that problem others (including me) have it. It's not really a problem as it is harmless.

What you want to look out for is the foam that gets 6 to 8" high,  leaves a residue and has some that floats around after the jets are off - this needs to be taken care of! Hit that with a good shock dose of dichlor or non chlorine shock and it should get better.

Since you are a newbie, after 1 month dump and refill the spa - it's "Chas' Law" and it gets rid of the newbie tub problems along with all the stuff your body got rid of in the first month.

green1320

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 09:36:33 pm »
 :) Thanks Vinny since mine clears right up after the jets go off I guess I,m ok.
2006 Tiger River Caspian

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:43:16 pm »
This may sound like a smart a$$ answer, but the foam is there because you got something in the water that foams.  Likely causes are detergent from your suit (if you wear them), hair spray or hair gel, possibly a cleaning agent if you used one anywhere on the shell.
In some cases high PH can cause foaming if there are body oils in the water.  The high PH tries to make soap out of any oils.
Try to keep anything that may foam out of your spa.  Eventually it will foam, but hopefully not until it is about time to drain it.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 07:19:56 am »
If you have an  ozone unit, one of the benefits is it oxidizes soap. Slowly.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:26:56 pm »
I have found a little clarifier knocks the foam and oils right out.  I do 2oz every 3 or 4 weeks depending on load and if others were in the tub (they don't necessarily understand the no lotion rule, but most understand the no shirt rule!!)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 01:00:20 pm »
I have found a little clarifier knocks the foam and oils right out.  I do 2oz every 3 or 4 weeks depending on load and if others were in the tub (they don't necessarily understand the no lotion rule, but most understand the no shirt rule!!)

I found that claifies seem to increase the foam (which then allows me to scoop it out).

For occasional use, I'll spray with a foam down product.  Although, I found that the foam down products cloud my water up.  A neat trick is to put the foam down in a spray bottle and give the foam a quick spritz. It works much better than just adding the product to the water, and you'll use significantly less of it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 01:02:10 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 01:34:49 pm »
My tub water sounds similar (clear with no jets, but a little foam with jets on).

I have had good success with scooping the foam out. I use my pool's scimming dip net (the kind with a fine mesh that is used to remove leaves).

I found that the chemical approach (clarifier, foam gone, etc.) led to cloudy water, and I'd rather deal with a little foam than have cloudy water.

Also, shock the water and clean your filters.  My dealer said that most water problems can be solved with these two simple steps (and i tend to agree).
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 02:57:28 pm »
I like yoru approach TN, for the most part that's what I try to do.  When the foam gets to be too much of a bother form me, that's when I hit it with the foam down, or if the water's cloudy too, I'll start with the clarifier. This usually occurs only after a party when many folks have been in the tub with suirts on.

Green, in another post you mention you have high PH.  Any chemists want to state if this could add to foaming? I think it does, but can't tell you other than when I had my water balanced "spot on" did the foam-however little- virtually disapaer.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 02:59:19 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

The_Bends

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 03:01:20 pm »
High pH levels can cause 'soaponification'.   ;D

p.s. saponification

The addition of a metal alkali (base) with fat or oils to form soap.  High pH water is considered basic.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:16:30 pm by The_Bends »
Arctic Spas Hydrotherapy Technician

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 03:41:39 pm »
Green,

As a rule I tend to not use much MPS, but in a situation such as you describe, I think shocking with MPS might get rid of the foam.  The suggestions for the source of the foam in this thread are good ones and should be considered to avoid a re-occurence.

Bill

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 04:37:15 pm »
drewstar....I would think you'd get more foam when you have a party and folks don't wear their suits?   ;D
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 04:48:59 pm »
I think green has the same issue I have - water is about a week old and the water gets frothy. It is just surface bubbles when the air is on, turn the air off and their gone. I have had this situation pretty much from the first fill, everytime the water gets a certain age (about a week old) the large bubbles disappear and the little ones take their place.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 04:48:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42