What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gulf Coast Spas  (Read 10963 times)

SpaGirlAZ

• 2004 Sundance Marin
Gulf Coast Spas
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:03:06 pm »
Hello all. I am new to the forum, but luckily I stumbled onto it a couple of days ago. I think it's a great concept. You all have great personalities, and I like the honest advice given to the shoppers with questions. Anyway, on to my question-

What's the deal with these Gulf Coast Spas?! They claim to be "Chemical Free" all over their website, but looking into their online store, it shows a ton of chemicals. Also, there is a Sanitizer which is needed, which in my experience, is either Chlorine or Bromine. Also, there is some kind of gentler system they offer, but there is no instructions or ingredients listed. How could they claim to be chemical free?! Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
 :)

Hot Tub Forum

Gulf Coast Spas
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:03:06 pm »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
Re: Gulf Coast Spas
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:07:44 pm »
Spagirl I believe they mean to be "free" of Chlorine or bromine, but I haven't personally seen a tub to be "chemical free" in all my years.See guys I change my name to Spaboy and along comes Spagirl. ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 08:08:27 pm by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:13:49 pm »
The deal is that the company makes an inferior hot tub and tries to push its way into the marketplace by making ridiculous claims.

dswslp1

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:10:02 am »
I would differ on the inferior tub comment especially how it relates to amount of tub for the money.  If they're claiming chemical free that's not true.  even with they're sustain product line the user is required to add bromine tabs.  I used the sustain that came with the tub.  It worked fine and you're skin felt really soft following a soak. However I could'nt keep the water clear.  We own a pool as well and it was too easy to just bromine, shock etc good luck

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 10:23:17 am »
The deal is that the company makes an inferior hot tub and tries to push its way into the marketplace by making ridiculous claims.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

uncommonlytasty

• I love my cheep spa
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:54:16 am »

Everyone uses their own exclusive something or other to claim an advantage over everyone else.  It’s called a gimmick, like interchangeable jet packs, or no bypass filtration.  Sure they offer little real advantage, but they sound good on paper and help sell spas.

hymbaw

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 11:59:58 am »

Everyone uses their own exclusive something or other to claim an advantage over everyone else.  It’s called a gimmick, like interchangeable jet packs, or no bypass filtration.  Sure they offer little real advantage, but they sound good on paper and help sell spas.

Not the same thing. Whether or not they provide benefits is debatable but Bullfrogs jet packs ARE interchangable, HS DOES have no-bypass filtration. Claiming you can operate your spa without chemicals is a LIE!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 12:01:34 pm »
"Chemical free" is a water care issue.  Not a tub/pump/heater issue.

Without even looking at the GC site, I will wager they are claiming  like Hotsprings, "soak chemical free" al-la the CD ozinator and post soak dichlor.   Which, in my opinon is a great sanitation method. (it works for me).  But it has no refellction on the qulaity of the tub.  If soaking chemical free is your concern, look at any tub that employs a CD ozinaotr and dichlor method (ie 99% of all the tubs can do this, some based on the ozinator are better than others).
 It;s like saying "Drive a  Saturn and use Lead free gas!!!!:

;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:02:33 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hymbaw

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 12:03:59 pm »
 SpaGirlAZ,

If you are a Sundance dealer you shouldn't worry yourself with the Gulf Coasts of the world. 8-)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

hymbaw

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 12:19:26 pm »
Drewstar,
   With you as my inSPAration I checked out their "chemical free" system. What a joke!

"Relax and enjoy your hot tub with the hassle-free system the AquaClara Disc creates.

The AquaClara Disc is hypoallergenic, environmentally friendly and completely disposable. It meets both EPA and FDA standards. The Disc is a descalent and algaecide. A bacteriostatic environment is maintained in the filter. It’s also been proven to remove heavy metals, including lead, and inorganics.

Just drop the AquaClara Disk into the skimmer along with Aquaclara tablets, and let it do the work. It is an all-natural process. A controlled release of copper and zinc ions are dispensed into the water to prevent bacterial and organic growth including algae and fungus. Replaces the need for:

Clarifier: Purifier: pH up: pH down: Alkalinity increaser/decreaser: Metal remover: Scale remover: Stain remover: Scum remover: Defoamer: Calcium builder: PLUS the system make your water feel softer AND saves you hundreds of pounds annually - ALL without using chemicals

*[glow]Aquaclara Water Management System must be used in conjunction with a sanitizer [/glow](Bromine supplied with Aqua Clara pack). "

The_real_Clown_Shoes

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 12:29:06 pm »
AquaClara is something I've come across recently with a lot of people in the area buying spas that have ads for 'spa-in-a-box.'

They're bromine tablets.

I had to sell some poor lady over $100 worth of chemicals because that was all she had.  And they weren't even good bromine tabs.

Thanks hymbaw for covering my bases when I wasn't paying attention.  It's always immensely frustrating to deal with companies and dealers that sell themselves as being chemical-free rather than relying on the quality of their tub to be their pitching point.  I've even heard salespeople for several well-built companies like Coleman, Sundance, and others use the same pitch as a last-ditch effort to keep someone from walking.  It may work sometimes, but it doesn't make it right.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 12:38:48 pm »
never heard of the Aqua clara system so I looked around.

IT looks like a sponge like disc ($45) that sits in Gulf Coast's filter well (like a pool skimmer????) This looks like it some kind of scum bug, thingy. Anyone know what this is composed of? It lastfor 2 months.

The other 2 key ingredianets to the "system" is a 2 oz packet of "Boost" that you add after heavy loads of Bathers.

This  is MPS.  They get you $9.40 for this.  OMFG.

The other ingreadinet is a tablet that you add to your filter basket weekly.  It's $16 per 1/5 lbs.  It's labled as a sanitzier.   I'm guess bromine.  Any one confirm?  However, if you have a tablet of "Sanitizer" in your filter basket you are not soaking "chemical" free.  No way.  At least with a bromine dispenser, you can fiddle with the flow to adjust for the correct amount.

They do claim you never have to adjust your water.  Amazing. This I'd like to hear more about.  Auto set PH? Calc? Alk? realy?  

You no longer will have to play chemist with your water. There will be no need for testing the PH or trying to figure out what chemicals are needed and when. Simply place the AquaClara Natural in your Vortec Filtration Basket every 60 days, place the required Aquaclara tablets in the filter once a week, and let the spa do the work for you.

Ok guys, what's the scoop here?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:43:19 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

The_real_Clown_Shoes

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 12:42:38 pm »
Yes, AquaClara is bromine.  Yes, I've had the godforsaken buckets sitting in my store during water samples.  Utilizing their method, you'll bottom out your alkalinity and pH (since, remember, you don't have to add chemicals) and then you'll ruin your equipment- if the acidity of the water doesn't get to you first.

I explained all this to the woman I mentioned earlier, showed her the things that could happen to her water if she didn't adjust pH and alkalinity, and showed her the comparison costs and efficiency for a bromine floater, tabs, and enhanced shock.  She bought all the stuff but still took the old tabs back with her.

Where's the *slap forehead* smiley when you need it?

hymbaw

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 01:00:16 pm »
"[glow]copper and zinc ions [/glow]are dispensed into the water to prevent bacterial and organic growth including algae and fungus. Replaces the need for:

Clarifier: Purifier: pH up: pH down: Alkalinity increaser/decreaser: Metal remover: Scale remover: Stain remover: Scum remover: Defoamer: Calcium builder"

Sounds like Nature2 to me.

How that "eliminates the need" for balancers is beyond me. Plus it acts as clarifier, stain & scale, defoamer, and scum remover!

WOW! Harry Frickin' Potter must of made this stuff!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 01:45:14 pm »
Everyone uses their own exclusive something or other to claim an advantage over everyone else.  It’s called a gimmick, like interchangeable jet packs, or no bypass filtration premium spas for $4000.  Sure they offer little real advantage value, but they sound good on paper and help sell spas.

Terminator
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 01:46:04 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 01:45:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42