What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to measure Chlorine Granules?  (Read 37274 times)

Han Solo

How to measure Chlorine Granules?
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:49:38 pm »
Hello All,
I've been lurking here since I bought my spa last month. It finally came today and except for a real quick here's how it works, all I got was a bunch of papers and a box of chemicals. I bought a one person Sundance Solo spa for myself, and the electrician is coming tomorrow to finish the wiring. My question is, since I only have a 100 gallon spa, and the Chlorine Granules say to add 1/2 oz per 500 gallons of water, how do I know and measure the correct amount for my spa? I know it would be 1/5 of 1/2 oz, but how do I go about measuring that?  

Hot Tub Forum

How to measure Chlorine Granules?
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:49:38 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: How to measure Chlorine Granules?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:13:23 am »
 I use about 2 teaspoons for a 485 gallon spa, so try a spot less than a half teaspoon, check your cholrine level after about 20 minutes, and see what level you get.  Add a bit more if your level is too low, add a bit less if it's too high.

Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:37:53 am »
100 gallons? That's like 2x the size of a bathtub, isn't it? cool....
RIP C-Rod

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 02:02:54 pm »
100 gallons? That's like 2x the size of a bathtub, isn't it? cool....

The Solo is actually a very good therapy tub.

Forget the amounts and pay attention to chlorine level after adding.  Start small, say 1 tsp, then test to see what your free chlorine level is.  Adjust from there.  Every spa has its own chlorine demand.  It just takes a little trial and error to find it.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 03:49:02 pm »
Hello All,
I've been lurking here since I bought my spa last month. It finally came today and except for a real quick here's how it works, all I got was a bunch of papers and a box of chemicals. I bought a one person Sundance Solo spa for myself, and the electrician is coming tomorrow to finish the wiring. My question is, since I only have a 100 gallon spa, and the Chlorine Granules say to add 1/2 oz per 500 gallons of water, how do I know and measure the correct amount for my spa? I know it would be 1/5 of 1/2 oz, but how do I go about measuring that?  

Maybe this will help..................
http://www.rhtubs.com/info/water.htm
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Han Solo

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 05:36:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I added the rhtubs link to my favorites and I will refer to it when in doubt. I hope my little bathtub solo fixes my old tired body and I can hardly wait until it's ready. At my age I need all the help I can get.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 09:12:18 am »
;) clean, hot, swirly water makes it all better.....
RIP C-Rod

Han Solo

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 08:48:35 pm »
;) clean, hot, swirly water makes it all better.....
That's what I've been trying to sell to my wife.   :o

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 10:51:02 pm »
don't feel bad....it's what I had to sell my husband on, too!  ;)
RIP C-Rod

Han Solo

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 01:34:51 pm »
don't feel bad....it's what I had to sell my husband on, too!  ;)
Did he ever really learn to enjoy it?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 02:33:02 pm »
I have my tub for a little over a year - I am the only person who goes into it often - about once a week. my youngest son will go in about every time I go in, My oldest only goes in when his friends come over and my wife has been in it 5 times at the most.

Over the winter I went in a little more frequently than once a week but I have to say it does get loanly out there by myself. I thought that it would have gone over bigger than it did.

I could have gotten away with a 2 or 3 person tub and been OK since nobody comes in ...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 02:33:51 pm by Vinny »

Han Solo

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 04:14:41 pm »
With the Sundance Solo model, it's only a one person spa so I plan on being in it alone. My wife hates hot tubs/spas (waters always too hot) and barely went into the hot tub we had when we first started dating twenty-three years ago. I purchased this spa only to help with my tired old muscles, because I still have a labor intensive job. I will be fifty-five in November, and still have to work another ten years before I can retire, so I'm hoping this might help me reach that goal. I also hope my wife will try it and discover that it helps her carpal-tunnel syndrome, as she is a chef and her hands and wrists really bother her at the end of the day. I'm planning on starting out with the water temperature down low until I get my her hooked.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 08:54:01 am »
1/5 of 1tsp is about a pinch.  Maybe you could just pinch some granules.

They do make 1/4 tsp measuring spoons (check your kitchen drawer).

As Tony stated...add a little bit, test the water and go from there.  Whatever your solutions, don't stress over it too much.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Han Solo

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 11:44:20 am »
1/5 of 1tsp is about a pinch.  Maybe you could just pinch some granules.

They do make 1/4 tsp measuring spoons (check your kitchen drawer).

As Tony stated...add a little bit, test the water and go from there.  Whatever your solutions, don't stress over it too much.
Your right about the measuring spoons. I checked and my wife has them all the way down to a 1/8 spoon. My biggest problem is that I'm an anal-retentive person, so I'm always stressing about doing things correctly. Thanks............

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 02:52:31 pm »
Hello All,
count them....... ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 02:52:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42