What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions about HS Grandee  (Read 4450 times)

vblv

Questions about HS Grandee
« on: August 06, 2006, 11:43:38 pm »
Newbie here with some questions...

We've been looking at spas for about a month now and we are pretty set on the HS Grandee. I have 2 questions, though.

(1) Dealer is offering spa for $8595 and including delivery, setup, ozone, chemicals, steps, cover cradle, hand rail, an extra set of 6 filter cartridges, and 2 HS robes. Does this sound fair?

(2) We were looking at putting down crushed stone with a spa pad on top of that for the base. However, in reading the literature, I see that HS wants a concrete pad or deck for a base with the Grandee. Do we really need to pour a concrete base for it?

Hot Tub Forum

Questions about HS Grandee
« on: August 06, 2006, 11:43:38 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Questions about HS Grandee
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 12:04:37 am »
Wow, that seems like a great price for the Grandee. I would jump on that like a heart beat. What part of the country are you in? I'm not sure about the crushed stone. I would talk to your dealer about that.

Did you wet test the Grandee? That's the only way you will know if it's the right spa for you.  
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 05:51:41 am »
That is an excellent price. I would go for it!
We have a HS Grandee and it is on a crushed stone base. I think it is just preference whether you use a poured base or whether you use something else. I like the "im-permanance" of crushed stone. If you need to move the spa, or you leave the house, you can change it out without much trouble!
Bearbath

DoubleA

• 2006 Caldera Tahitian
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 08:23:02 am »
Nice tub, great price especially with all the extras.  Good luck with the decision.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 09:18:39 am »
A concrete pad is not necessary.  We put many of our customers on Confer Handi-Pad bases.  They're quick, moveable, and there's no additionaly work involved.  You just level the ground, snap them together and go.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 12:32:50 pm »
I would pour a slab. The factory recommneds it for the Vista and Grandee.

If you want it to go away later, you can hire a gardener, handyman or some workers and it will go away.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 06:12:29 pm »
chas is right, in so far as HS requires/strongly recommends a slab or deck. Think of it this way - the tub alone weighs about 1/2 of a ton. Add water (500 gallons) and several people (we'll say 4), and you're up around, what, 3 tons? Save yourself any future worries about "is it enough? will it hold?" and do it the recommended (and, yes, potentially more expensive) way.
Also, I'd say that the deal they're cutting you is AWESOME. I didn't get any robes, handrail OR an extra set of (I assume your extra set is all Tri-X?) filters!!!  :'(  Our cost was around $8200 for our package.
RIP C-Rod

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 08:01:12 pm »
Forgot to mention... great deal.

What color is it?

zackem

• Just trying to get by.....
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 10:59:13 pm »
sounds like a good buy!! We just purchased a Grandee here in Ga and paid $9500 delivered and set up....no robes!! Also decided on a poured pad 6 inches thick with rebar reinforcement....now wish I had poured the slab bigger than 8x10....will fix that part with a deck a little later on.....bill ;) ;)
zackem

Patcher

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 08:39:32 am »
I am looking to buy a hot tub but cannot decide between a Hot Springs Grandee or a Sundance Optima. Any opinions?

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 11:18:25 am »
Opinions? This forum is FULL of 'em!!!!
I love the Grandee. It's huge, it's got deep seating, it's got ankle or calf or foot jets or whatever down low....it's got the MotoMassageDX in two seats....and if I find one of those $25 floating pool loungers, It'll have one of those, too!  ;D
There's my $.02 1/2 on the Grandee.....NEXT!
RIP C-Rod

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 11:21:46 am »
I am looking to buy a hot tub but cannot decide between a Hot Springs Grandee or a Sundance Optima. Any opinions?

Grandee, and welcome to the forum. :)

Terminator
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 11:22:15 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 10:05:19 pm »
Recommends a slab. Anything else is a compromise. Throw out the spa pad.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

vblv

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 09:16:21 am »
Thanks for all the responses everyone! We did go ahead and buy the Grandee (boy, we came a long way - our search for a spa actually started looking at a Keys Backyard spa at our local Home Depot). The color is azurite. Now, we have a lot of prep work to do, as the spot we want it to go currently is filled with flowers and bushes.

We have a couple of people lined up to come out and give quotes for pouring the concrete. We still haven't decided totally. We talked with a factory rep (bought it at the state fair) and he said the crushed stone was just fine. However, we are still going to talk to someone from the store and/or the installation team.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 10:36:34 am »
We talked with a factory rep (bought it at the state fair)
aww, man....HS does the "travelling circus" thing too?  :(
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 10:36:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42