What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cleaning filter  (Read 2054 times)

wilfried

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
cleaning filter
« on: August 11, 2006, 04:51:32 am »
Hello

To clean my filters i'm using bleach(ing liquor). Is that a good idea ?
Do you know other cheap products ? Or should I purchase costly cleaning products ?

Hot Tub Forum

cleaning filter
« on: August 11, 2006, 04:51:32 am »

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
Re: cleaning filter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 10:29:56 am »
I am not a tech, but I would not use bleach, I woudl be concerned with the damage to the filter media as well as rubber seals and the like if residual is left.  I use the Leisure Time purple spray.  It is like $5.00 for the bottle.  I have cleaned my filters (2) 3 times with it and I probably have enough for 5-6 more times.  I like it because it turns the media purple so you don't miss any spots, and it is instant so you can rinse in like 5 mins.  For my quarterly cleanings, when I change teh water, I will proabably go with their overnight product.  

My theory on all of this is, I spent close to $10K for the spa, don't wreck it by cheaping out on what I maintain it with.  

PS...  I also use Synthetic oil in my car...  I pay $50 for an oil change, but my engine will last 300-500K miles because of it!!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 10:51:34 am »
I have seen on this site that some people are using Simple Green with good results. And I haven't heard any negatives about it.
I might try it myself once I run out of the purple stuff.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:47:35 pm »
We actually offer a cleaning service for cartridge filters.

We do it in a three stage process.

1)  Dipping the filter in Strip Kwik filter cleaner and soaking overnight.

2)  Dipping the filter in Liquid Chlorine and soaking overnight.

3)  Dipping the filter in Muriatic Acid and soaking overnight.

We rinse in between each of those steps and then allow them to drip dry to make sure they don't foam up the tubs or anything.  Bleach should work perfectly fine.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 03:14:59 pm »
My apologies to the people this is going to piss off, but this is what I understand. With regards to pleated fabric filters, most commonly made of dacron. The following is reprinted from Unicel, one of the largest cartridge filter manufacturers.....

Acid washing is perhaps the biggest single factor leading to premature filter cartridge failure!
For years, service technicians and homeowners have acid washed D.E. grids. However, cartridge elements do not have the protective D.E. powder coating that grids have and can be permanently damaged by the acid. As a rule of thumb, acid wash only when required, if at all, and never without thoroughly cleaning the element with a cartridge degreaser first.
Here's a simple test to determine if acid washing is required;
After thoroughly cleaning the cartridge with a degreasing agent, flush the cartridge with a garden hose to remove all traces of soap, etc. Now apply several drops of acid directly to a small area of the filter media. If bubbling occurs, this indicates a build-up of calcium or minerals, and you should proceed with a mild acid soak (see Unicel Cleaning Instructions for more details). If no bubbling is observed, your cartridge most likely does not require acid washing.

Additionally, once the bubbling stops the filter should immediately be removed and rinsed with clear water. Any additional time spent in the acid will simply continue to damage/destroy the filter and will NOT remove any more "dirt".

As for soaking in bleach or chlorine.........Chlorine will NOT clean the filter, it will however bleach any dirt to a white color. Many people use bleach (chlorine) in their laundry to enhance the "witness" of clothing. It works GREAT, by bleaching out the coloring of any stains (it does NOT remove the stains). HOWEVER, the bleach (chlorine) also breaks down the fabric and SHORTENS the life of the clothing. It does the same to the fabric of a filter cartridge.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 03:14:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42