What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Taylor kit vs cheaper one  (Read 3690 times)

Mercure

Taylor kit vs cheaper one
« on: August 06, 2006, 09:25:04 pm »
I never seen a taylor kit in store around here.  But I find similar cheaper kit everywhere (my spa dealer, departement store, hardware store).  They all look  like this:

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Water-Test-Kits-and-Meters/4-Way-Water-Test-Kit-Liquid-Solution/

I live in Canada and would have to buy the taylor kit online.  That add significant transportation and custom cost.

I want to know if the cheaper kit that I find everywhere are good enough.  Their accuracy are closer to the test stips or closer to the Taylor kit?

Hot Tub Forum

Taylor kit vs cheaper one
« on: August 06, 2006, 09:25:04 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Taylor kit vs cheaper one
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 09:43:30 pm »
I have good luck with an HTH test kit for about $14.  It has a couple additional test,  Alk, hardness, and CYA.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 09:56:49 pm »
I used a non Taylor kit from kmart for 2 years - I think it's cost was around $15.

The ONLY problem with it was being an OTO kit (Taylor is a DPD kit) it can't distinguish between free chlorine and total chlorine. It claims that if you take a reading right away you get a free chlorine reading and if you wait it'll give you a total chlorine reading but I read somewhere that it just reads total chlorine.

Maybe buy the $15 kit and add a DPD kit to it, I usually do the opposite as an OTOt is usually cheap.

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 10:44:08 pm »

I live in Canada and would have to buy the taylor kit online.

Where about in Canada?  I know of a couple dealers in Southwestern Ontario if it helps.  Doc sells the kit on-line and will ship to Canada, I haven't ordered though him yet, but all reports here are good.

I had previously used a kit similar to the one in your link and was never happy with the inconsistant readings.  After reading Vinny's recomendations I purchased the Taylor Trouble-Shooter kit ($35 Can) and it does live up to its reputation.  My dealer now hates me though!! ;)
Bullfrog 451

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 11:08:36 pm »
Here's one for $34.89--not sure about shipping to Canada. I suggest going through doc though if you can afford it.

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp/Pool+Water+Test+Test+Kits+-+Taylor+(TAY-TK).html
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 03:08:57 am »
Would the Taylor kit be any use if one uses Bromine? I mean I understand that it would still measure the rest of the stuff, but would it measure bromine levels?

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:30:51 pm »
Yes, there is a bromine titrating reagent for use with the Taylor Kit.  I believe it is R-0872.

In Canada eh

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 02:10:05 pm »

I live in Canada and would have to buy the taylor kit online.  That add significant transportation and custom cost.

I forgot to mention in my other post.

Since silly Canadian enviromental laws about reagents and packaging the Taylor 2005 kit(most popular one) have pushed the price to$140 and higher, you are probably better off ordering one on-line from the US.

Darn those silly tree huggers :-/
Bullfrog 451

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 03:36:15 pm »
The reagents for chlorine will test for bromine as well  in  the taylor kits  Most spa or pool dealers in Ontario and the rest of Canada will sell a taylor kit in form or another  or can order it for you without significant cost In Ontario a spa dealer can have it for you next day if they deal with Central spa supply for parts. All you really need is the 3 part taylor kit that test for Chlorine/Bromine Ph & Alk   then have your dealer test for the rest

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 03:44:52 pm »
I used a non Taylor kit from kmart for 2 years - I think it's cost was around $15.

The ONLY problem with it was being an OTO kit (Taylor is a DPD kit) it can't distinguish between free chlorine and total chlorine. It claims that if you take a reading right away you get a free chlorine reading and if you wait it'll give you a total chlorine reading but I read somewhere that it just reads total chlorine.

Maybe buy the $15 kit and add a DPD kit to it, I usually do the opposite as an OTOt is usually cheap.

Your probably right, but dichlor level is one of the attributes I don't pay attention to any more. I put in a mininal amount after each soak, or if I'm going to be away a coupe of days and that holds the tub over to my next usage.   The only time I care about my dichlor level is if I shocked with a high level of Dichlor and want to see if its safe to get back in, but I usually shock every other week with MPS so that is a rate need.   I only shock with a high dose of Dichlor when I know I won't be using the tub for at least 12 hours. So far I haven't ran into the need to recheck.

I think this is the Pennsylvanian method, or perhaps the Ohioan method  ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 08:41:52 pm »
As suggested by others on this board, I've found value in testing for chlorine when I know there will be little/no free chlorine just so I can continue the test for total chlorine.  This gives a great indication of exactly the amount of chloramines present and whether a shock is necessary or not.  I've gotten away from shocking on a schedule but rather respond to the Taylor readings.

And, BTW, the booklet that comes with the Taylor is excellent and worth the "cost of admission" alone.  Hey, you've spent $8000 or so on a hot tub...get the best test kit available...Taylor Test Kit
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 08:41:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42