What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sweetwater Bahia (2003) - FL1 code  (Read 20372 times)

langetr1955

Sweetwater Bahia (2003) - FL1 code
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:45:39 pm »
Hi, I have a 2003 Sweetwater Bahia.   I can't seem to clear an FL1 code.  

As the manual indicates, I have powered off, removed the filter and forced water in the return (gridded) end of the water supply.  No significant air was burped.   I even tried adding water in the other end, just for good measure.  

I have left the tub sitting powered down for over an hour, thinking maybe it needed some time to clear the FL1 code or something.   No such luck.

I am surprised that the FL1 code comes on within 20 seconds of powering up, without even starting the pumps.   Seems to me that you'd need to power up the pumps to cause an FL1 code, but maybe not.

I'll probably drain the tub tomorrow morning if I can't get it cleared.   Not sure why, but it seems like something else to try.

And, I certainly don't want to call the $pa repair folk$.        

Any advice, comments, questions and editorial opinions are welcomed.  

Thanks,
 - tim
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:01:57 pm by langetr1955 »

Hot Tub Forum

Sweetwater Bahia (2003) - FL1 code
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:45:39 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Sweetwater Bahia (2003) - FL1 code
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 09:02:34 pm »
Does it have a circ pump? Did you try turning it on without the filter(s)?

Maybe an air lock, maybe a bad circ pump or maybe just a dirty filter that needs to be replaced.

If it's not the above - do you see water flowing, maybe the flow sensor is bad ...

... Maybe a spa tech will respond and give you better advice!  :D

langetr1955

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 09:13:56 pm »
Hi Vinny, thanks for the quick response and good questions.   Here is some additional information.  

I tried it without a filter, no difference.   I tried with a different filter, no difference.  

The pumps seem to work fine.  Both high and low on one pump and well as the single speed on the other.

I "think" the circulation pump is just the low setting on the dual-speed pump, but I'm not exactly sure.  (I don't watch it that much.)    

I really don't see anything wrong with how it's running, except for the dang FL1 code.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:14:49 pm by langetr1955 »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 09:27:26 pm »
I would open the equipment bay - turn the power off - and look for a switch or flow wheel. There should be wires going to it from the control box - it might be stuck open or closed.

I don't know how Sundance does it's flow sensing but I've read that tapping it sometimes frees it or it might need to be replaced.

I think most spas use off the shelf parts if it does need to be replaced.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 12:13:34 am »
It probably has a flow switch.  The fact that it comes up that quickly with the error message may mean that the switch is stuck in the closed position.  The tub is sensing that there is flow before there should be, indicating a bad switch that could lead to a dry-fired heater.

Best bet - call in a pro.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 08:53:51 am »
Are you out of warranty?  

FLO1 on your spa could mean a clogged filter, bad circ. pump, or a flow switch stuck open.  

FLO2 in your spa means your flow switch is stuck closed.

You said you removed the filter- did you try running the spa with a clean filter?  If not, try that.  I've also ran mine without the filter for startup- I have to prime the circ. pump thru that "grid" myself when I change water, but only for a few seconds.  

The reason you spa powers up is that the flow switch is on the plumbing with your circulation pump, and it may just take a few seconds before the switch sends an error code when you power up.  

At this point, you either need to get a tech to possibly replace your circ pump or your flow switch, or do it yourself, but how will have to figure out how to isolate the problem so you're not spending money on un needed parts.  

Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.

In my case, my FLO1 error was a bad circulation pump.  Flow switch was fine.

Brewman

NickA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 10:55:35 am »
I have a 2003 Bahia also. Sounds like a problem we had recently. Try disconnecting the control panel from the mainboard and blow out the connection. Ours had somehow gotten dust in it. It started working immediately.
Nick

hymbaw

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 11:15:19 am »
I "think" the circulation pump is just the low setting on the dual-speed pump, but I'm not exactly sure.  (I don't watch it that much.)     

Nope. your circ pump is completely separate from your jet pumps. You should be able to tell if it's running if you power up with the equipment bay open.(humming, vibrations, etc.)

What month did you buy said Bahia? They had a 3 year warranty back in the day so you may still be covered.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

langetr1955

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 11:56:39 am »
First off, I'd like to say that you folks are incredibly helpful.  A big "thank you" to all that have responded.   I've learned alot already.  

It sounds like it's time to remove the panel and see what I can find.   I'll look for the circ pump and see if it appears to be functioning.  I'll also locate the flow valve and give it an ever-so-gentle "whack".  

Then it's on to the control panel and main board.  That sounds a little more complex, but a quick blast with a can of air can't hurt too much.    

I'm at work right now.  (Can't you tell?)  But it sounds like a fun evening when I get home.  

Thanks again for the advice.  Keep it coming!  

langetr1955

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:58:14 am »
and btw, we bought our tub in January, 2003.  So much for any three year warranty.   But I appreciate the warranty reminder.  

langetr1955

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 08:34:40 pm »
A quick update.  

I pulled the panel and checked the circulation pump, which was easily identifiable.  Seems to provide a slight hum and vibration little after powering up, plus it warmed up slightly.  It's very hard to tell that though.  Is it really doing the circulation thing?, so far, I'm not so sure.  Can any Bahia owner comment whether  they really feel water coming out of the circulation "jet"?, because I don't.  My belief is that the circ pump is supposed to run continuously.    

As far as the flow switch, that was nicely labelled too.      I nudged it a few times, just to encourage it to do something different.   So far, I don't think it has.  It's a nice clear plactic unitl with a visible, thick "needle" in it.  Should I be able to tell anything by looking at this needle?      

I also disconnected the control panel from the main board and gave the socket a good blast of air and put it back together.  

So far, I'm still seeing the FL1 code.  

One nice thing is that the circ pump and the flow switch are both are labelled with the manufacturer's name and model number, so I'm thinking, this might be somewhat simple to find replacement parts without paying an arm and a leg.   I'll be checking around on the internet tonight.   Right now, I'm thinking the circ pump is the first thing to replace.      

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 08:45:43 pm »
I concur - I believe that your circ pump is shot.

There certainly should be a flow coming out of the return jet and if you have ozone then bubbles too.

There has to be a certain flow in order for the heater not to burn up and if it falls below or stops - the tub stops heating.

If your really handy you can try to take it apart and fix/clean it but buying a new one may be faster and easier in the long run. The pump can be had at your dealer or on-line.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 11:18:55 pm »
Looking to me like circ. pump, too.  
Pull the filter, and put your hand over the intake- the suction in that grid area is what feeds to your circ pump, and it should be pretty strong.  
I watched the tech replace the one on my Optima in the middle of a very cold snap.  If yours is similar, and you choose to do it yourself, it looked do-able for anyone relatively comfortable with basic mechanical and electrical stuff.
 I know if I ever have to replace mine again after warranty, I'll be up to the task.

Brewman

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 05:34:31 am »
before you try for a new circ pump put the end of a garden hose on the output jet when the tub is powered down to force water through the flow switch, heater, pump and back to the filter. This will ensure no air lock problem.
Retired

NickA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 02:22:17 pm »
My circulation pump has been replaced twice under warranty. The first replacement went bad in a couple of months. You should definitely feel the water moving from the jet.
Nick

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 02:22:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42