What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The Truth About Ozonators in Spas  (Read 16478 times)

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
The Truth About Ozonators in Spas
« on: July 28, 2006, 03:26:26 pm »
Ozonators are worthless unless the spa is built correctly to use the ozone (most do not build the spa properly). The spa has to have a contact chamber or it will be useless. I am amazed how many ozonators are sold/installed on spas without a contact chamber.

Done properly they are a big help and if you have one of these spas if the ozonaotor fails you will know as your water quality will diminish fairly quick.

If a dealer or manufacturer is selling/installing ozonators without an contact chamber they are crooks or stupid. Either way you are being stroked!

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

The Truth About Ozonators in Spas
« on: July 28, 2006, 03:26:26 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: The Truth About Ozonators in Spas
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 03:28:58 pm »
Ozonators are worthless unless the spa is built correctly to use the ozone (most do not build the spa properly). The spa has to have a contact chamber or it will be useless. I am amazed how many ozonators are sold/installed on spas without a contact chamber.

Done properly they are a big help and if you have one of these spas if the ozonaotor fails you will know as your water quality will diminish fairly quick.

If a dealer or manufacturer is selling/installing ozonators without an contact chamber they are crooks or stupid. Either way you are being stroked!

Gary

What spas have a contact chamber? Which do not?
07 Caldera Geneva

Gary

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 03:39:42 pm »

What spas have a contact chamber? Which do not?

Vinny's does not ;D

The two that I know for sure are:

Marquis & Hot Springs

I am sure there are few more but not many.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 03:43:16 pm »
My Tiger River did not have 03 standard (unike thier Hotsprings Sisters who have 03 standard). The dealer installed the system for me and   I was lead to belive that there was a contact chamber,  how can I verify this? Under the cabinet it looked like the FWIII system hooked directly into the circ pump line.

What consititues a contact chamber?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 03:45:13 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 03:43:25 pm »

Vinny's does not ;D

The two that I know for sure are:

Marquis & Hot Springs

I am sure there are few more but not many.

So does D1.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 03:44:09 pm by cooltoy2000 »

uncommonlytasty

• I love my cheep spa
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 03:48:04 pm »
My Hydro Spa Omni has about 20+ feet of hose after the venturi (where the ozone enters the water).  This allows for more contact time before the gas is released into the air.  As I understand it, the amount of ozone released into the air under the cover is reduced with longer water contact time.  This reduces ozone buildup that can cause covers and pillows to deteriorate.   I don’t know if this is fact, but it makes sense to me.    

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 03:54:17 pm »
All Watkins Manufacturing spas have contact chambers:

Hot Spring
Tiger River
Hot Spot
Solana
Caldera
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Gary

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 03:56:43 pm »
My Tiger River did not have 03 standard (unike thier Hotsprings Sisters who have 03 standard). The dealer installed the system for me and   I was lead to belive that there was a contact chamber,  how can I verify this? Under the cabinet it looked like the FWIII system hooked directly into the circ pump line.

What consititues a contact chamber?

You would have to do some digging. All it is a extra piping so the ozone can stay in the water longer. The spa would also have to a injector to create the venturi affect (most are Mazzies). No injector = no contact chamber.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 04:01:53 pm »
Vinny, are you sure your tub has a UV and not a CD Ozonator?

My artesian(05) has a mazzie injector and has a CD(not UV) ozonator.

JeffB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 04:05:27 pm »
On the Artesian Island spas, standard ozone and Propure ozone are options. It is my understanding that standard ozone does not include a contact chamber and Propure ozone does. I recently bought a 2005 Captiva and was told and believe it has the Propure ozone.   Jeff

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 04:41:23 pm »
My Tiger River did not have 03 standard (unike thier Hotsprings Sisters who have 03 standard). The dealer installed the system for me and   I was lead to belive that there was a contact chamber,  how can I verify this?
It does. I'm holding up my right hand as I type. (That's why it took so long).

The contact chamber is a length of pvc flex pipe - which has a gentle spiral built in - and is between 12 and 14 feet in length. It is wrapped around the footwell area, covered in insulating foam.

You can't see it, but it's there.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hymbaw

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 04:41:29 pm »
All Sundance tubs are equipped with a Mazzei injector and a contact chamber.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

In Canada eh

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 04:43:45 pm »
Ozonators are worthless unless the spa is built correctly to use the ozone (most do not build the spa properly). The spa has to have a contact chamber or it will be useless.  

Gary

The tub is your contact chamber just the same as a resevoir is the contact chamber at a water treatment plant.  Well we are clearing up misconceptions UV is not ozone and has no oxidizing characteristics at all, it is only a secondary treatment
Bullfrog 451

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 04:44:43 pm »
You would have to do some digging. All it is a extra piping so the ozone can stay in the water longer. The spa would also have to a injector to create the venturi affect (most are Mazzies). No injector = no contact chamber.

HotSpring tubs have the contact chambers, Tiger River have them even though they do not come standard with the ozone generator, Caldera has it, etc.

No injector does NOT mean that the spa is not 'ozone ready.'

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 04:47:29 pm »
The tub is your contact chamber just the same as a resevoir is the contact chamber at a water treatment plant.  Well we are clearing up misconceptions UV is not ozone and has no oxidizing characteristics at all, it is only a secondary treatment
Um, no.
There is a contact chamber in many top-brand tubs, designed to allow the ozone and water to stay in contact for  a few critical seconds BEFORE the mix is injected into the tub. If the tub was the contact chamber - and I have sold other brands where there is no contact chamber - the ozone smells, burns the cover, pillows and doesn't work as well.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 04:47:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42