What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best cleaning system?  (Read 5475 times)

In Canada eh

Re: Best cleaning system?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 04:58:22 pm »
Ok, so what is the purpose of the Ozone then? Is it the actual cleaner or just a supplement?

If you want some good info on ozone see Vinnys post on his ozone test.

Chlorine(dichlor) is your primary sanitizer and should be added as Chas has said. Ozone is a oxidizer and a disinfectant but is a secondary or added treatment.
Ozone will help to kill bacteria that dichlor can't
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 04:58:22 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 06:36:14 pm »
Since Bromine contains chlorine in it, you can go from Chlorine to Bromine without changing the water.    
Bromine, itself, is an element and does not contain Chlorine.

Bromine TABS, do contain chlorine. As a result, if you put Bromine tabs in a floating feeder in your spa you will have a heavy chlorine gas cloud eating away at pillows, and the inside of your cover.

If you want to use Bromine, buy it pure, and do your own shock once per week with chlorine, MPS, or whatever oxidizer you like.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

boobunnies

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 08:09:17 pm »
WOW-- great info- thanks so much!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 10:52:34 am »
I used Brilliance brand bromine, which has nothing but Bromine.  If I was to ever go back to bromine for some reason, I'd use that brand again.  
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 01:38:08 pm »
Pools and spas on chlorine SHOULD NOT SMELL.

If you have a smell - you have too much combined chlorine!

For your pool, you need to shock the heck out of it. Find out what your combined chlorine, adjust the PH to about 7.2 and add 10 x the combined chlorine reading with free chlorine ... also what's your CYA reading, anything over 60 PPM is too much. OR hit it with MPS but that may produce too much phosphorus - that is algea food.

As far as my ozone experiment ... I found it not too effective but I have an UV ozonator and only ran it for 10 hours a day before shutting it off, I don't know if things would be different with a CD unit and running 24 hours a day. But my gut feeling is that it wouldn't be too much different.

But ozone is only a secondary sanitizer and oxidizer.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 12:35:34 am »
Boobbunnies,

Go to http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl and click on the FAQ section. Open the link to "What is the "Dichlor Dosing - Vermonter Style".

This basically is the chlorine bible. Vermonter will explain why you want to use chorine (dichlor) for your spa. There are other methods but this one is the most widely used. Supplementing chlorine with ozone is a great idea as spatech previously mentioned.

It sounds very complicated but once you get your spa it will become very easy to take care of your spa. The biggest take from all this is that your water won't smell like chlorine if you follow this method correctly.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 12:35:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42