What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tub finish: smooth scratch? ruff safer?  (Read 4245 times)

Bama

Tub finish: smooth scratch? ruff safer?
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:37:12 am »
I have a personal preference for the lighter color finish with the smooth finish.  However, would the faux granite finish be safer?  I had some concern for the smooth finish being slick or scratching easily as does a smooth finish on counter tops.  I know there is going to be a visible water line sometimes.  Does it show up more on a dark tub or a light tub?  On a smooth tub or a rough tub?  Just curious?  My guess is a light tub with rough finish could go the longest between scrubs.
I don't know.  Feedback is very appreciated.
Yes, I know I'm anal...I'm just trying to think of everything!  LOL

Hot Tub Forum

Tub finish: smooth scratch? ruff safer?
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:37:12 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Tub finish: smooth scratch? ruff safer?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 12:09:18 pm »
Let me try to quantify what is a subjective question with my opinions.

If you could put a safety number on each finish I would put the smooth textured tubs at 90 and the textured surface at 91.  Then I would subtract 10 points for bad tub and water care.  

If you put fresh clean water in brand new tubs of each type, I think you would find they both have excellent traction and are not slippery.  How you care for them probably makes far more difference than they type of surface.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:10:41 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:58:07 pm »
Each tub owner has there own
preferences and that preference
is "right" for them.

I do not think there is an "across
the board" right or wrong finish
or color. It's what works for you.

Personally I think the smooth lighter
finishes are prettier and have an
updated upscale look.

The rough finish is probably a little
less slick and thus slightly safer.

I am single....no kids....and I am not
elderly so I just try to be aware and safe.

For me there is not a huge gap in safety
so I went with the prettier look.

2EachHisOwn!

seamoe

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 04:07:24 pm »
I agree with the other comments. Its all what you like.  On my old tub I had a textured finish which was not as slick as my new smooth finish tub.  Both are just as easy to clean, however with my smooth finish tub now, I notice a water line around the tub, where I didn't on my old tub (probably because the textured one was colored and my smooth one is pearl white).  If you go with a smooth finish, be careful when draining it.  I used a sumpump to drain my tub a couple weeks ago, and noticed a couple scratches on the floor surface.

The_Bends

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 04:22:43 pm »
I am pretty sure that most of the bumpy finishes now come treated with Microban, to help fight bacteria between the water and the cover, although I like the look of the smooth finishes, and water care will be the ultimate judge of how clean it stays.
Arctic Spas Hydrotherapy Technician

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 05:04:31 pm »
 My guess is a light tub with rough finish could go the longest between scrubs.

Here's a thought that was mentioned to me when I was first looking....you might not see the "crud line", but that doesn't mean the tub is clean. ;)
Go with what you would enjoy looking at for the next 5-20 years, and if that's a light, pearlescent shell, so be it....
(just my $.02, of course)
RIP C-Rod

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 08:38:07 pm »
There SHOULD NOT be a scum line on ANY tub that is properly maintained so you can immendiately discount that concept as any type of deterant.  I personally think the textured finishes gice a hot tub an "aged" appearance as so many of hte newer styles emphasis the smooth finish.  I personally selected the smooth platinum finish myself and have been VERY pleased with it as it doesn't show any scratches (and I have two kids).
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Razzman

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 09:19:47 pm »
It just so happens that the floor model Sundance Majesta we bought yesterday in the textured Sahara color is almost an exact match to our PebbleTec pool surface. Didn't even notice that until in the pool today! BTW it's 112 degrees today!

Bama

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 06:44:48 pm »
I agree with the other comments. Its all what you like.  On my old tub I had a textured finish which was not as slick as my new smooth finish tub.  Both are just as easy to clean, however with my smooth finish tub now, I notice a water line around the tub, where I didn't on my old tub (probably because the textured one was colored and my smooth one is pearl white).  If you go with a smooth finish, be careful when draining it.  I used a sumpump to drain my tub a couple weeks ago, and noticed a couple scratches on the floor surface.

Thanks so much....  you have confirmed what I thought might be the case.  

Bama

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 06:45:49 pm »
Thanks to all of you for  taking time to share.
Bama
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:44:10 pm by Bama »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 09:04:47 pm »
There SHOULD NOT be a scum line on ANY tub that is properly maintained so you can immendiately discount that concept as any type of deterant.

"SHOULD NOT" and "REALITY" sometimes don't play well together, so don't poo-poo the idea just yet....I had a water line, but it wasn't scum, it was just from the hard water. It comes off, at any rate....but with a pearly finish, it is visible.
RIP C-Rod

Bama

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 01:30:49 am »
"SHOULD NOT" and "REALITY" sometimes don't play well together, so don't poo-poo the idea just yet....I had a water line, but it wasn't scum, it was just from the hard water. It comes off, at any rate....but with a pearly finish, it is visible.

Thank you....you understand my motivation in asking, what seems like a silly question, about the line of residue around a hot tub.  Our water hard, as well, calcium being the main culprit.    I bought one of those pressure steam cleaners to help scrub the crud from bathroom fixtures.  Also, our water from the faucet is cloudy and the cloudiness remains suspended in a cup for what seems an eternity.
We buy bottled water to drink.    A few drops of vinegar or alcohol is added to water for cleaning jobs otherwise  a white film developes on the cleaned surface.  I hope  when we get our new tub, we can achieve clear water.
What do you use to scrub off the water line?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 01:44:49 am by Bama »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 11:08:56 am »
I use those Mr Clean Magic Erasers.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bama

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 08:48:13 pm »
I use those Mr Clean Magic Erasers.

OK, thanks.
Bama

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 08:48:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42