What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which Spa?  (Read 2731 times)

ucd9699

Which Spa?
« on: July 19, 2006, 01:47:57 am »
I have been researching spas.  I am on a budget and want to stay under 6,000?  I am looking at Caldera Moorea, Sundance Bahia and Tiger River Caspian.  I know the Moorea has a lounge.  But it seemed to work for me when I wet tested.  I would like your opinion on the difference of these spas.  I am concerned with water clarity (Each spa has a different filtration system and has different square feet filtered, but all tubs are around the same  size.  Is the the square footage of water filtered an important factor?).  I am concerned if the tub is large enough for my family (I have 5 kids, small right now).  And with price.  From lurking on this and other forums I am guessing I would pay around 6,000 for the Bahia and Caspian.  And around 6,600 for the Moorea.  Are these numbers reasonable?  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Which Spa?
« on: July 19, 2006, 01:47:57 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Which Spa?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 05:28:54 am »
Cost is very relevant to the area your in but those seem about right to me. SF of filter is important and has to be enough to filter the water based on the amount of use and crud you introduce to the water. Most tubs have enough for this and going higher will only slightly reduce the amount of filter cleaning you have to do. I have 50 SF which is on the low side and it is more than suffiecient for my needs. I rinse my filter a couple times a month and would do the same with 100 SF
Retired

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:04:41 am »
I have a Capsian. I paid about $7000 a year ago (cover, steps, lifter, ozone, delivery).  It is set for 220v.

Based on a few recent posts, it seems that tubs prices have skyrocketed, imho.  $6000 for the Caspain seems low to me. Have any dealers given you prices?  

I am not familliar with the Caldera, however, posts in this forum lead me to belive it's a quality tub.  The Sundance Bahaia struck me as a simmialir tub to the Caspain. Sundance had a good rep.

I have no problems with water quality on my Caspian.  I use Dichlor and have the Freshwater III ozonator on it. It works great.  I am very satisfied with my Caspain.  It's an exceptional tub at it's price and class.

I would definatly wet test. You're looking at 3 very good brands of tub and go with the one that fits you the best.

PErsonaly, with 5 kids, I'd stay away from a lounger.  You'll need more open seating.   These are decent tubs, but they are surely not the biggest.

Also, I have a feeling you may need to bump your budget up  a bit.

just my 2 cents. Good luck.

:D
07 Caldera Geneva

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 11:21:49 am »
I think that you'll find two things:

1. The Sundance Bahia is a bigger tub than the Caspian for about the same $$.(both good quality, similar mold for the shell)

2. You'll have a hard time getting either for $6000
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

96SC

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:32:32 am »
From my limited experience the price you are willing to pay for the Moorea is pretty good.  $6600.  I doubt if you'll get it for under $6000.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 11:35:41 am by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 12:03:52 pm »
All very good choices, doubt any will be under $6000.

One thing I would look to in the Caspian is the performance it puts out.  If you look at the Vanguard and the Caspian, the Caspian actually has bigger pumps and (IMO) better performance.

However, the Caspian doesn't have as much in the way of jet variety as the Moorea.  

I like the seating style of the Caspian and the Bahia a bit better than the Moorea, as there is more room in the footwell area.  I would go with the consensus and wet test all of them.  All are great spas, though.

marianb

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 05:50:08 am »
Did u look at the Burlington when u were at the Sundance dealer?  It is $6,000.

ucd9699

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 08:24:58 pm »
No it was the Bahia.  I wet tested the Optima and Bahia.  The dealer's asking price was $6800 with steps, ozone, etc....  I have been on this and other forums.  From those posts all 2005 and later people were paying $5600 to 6500.  That seemed reasonable to me considering that my dealer said he would come down $300 without me even asking.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 08:24:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42