What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: DW is designing a deck.  (Read 4535 times)

96SC

DW is designing a deck.
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:38:59 am »
My dw is designing a deck to put our eventual spa on.  The deck will only be about a foot off the ground at the highest point (we realize it must be able to support a lot of weight, the dealer we will probably buy from said go with 5000 lb capacity).  My question is, about how much deck space around the spa do some of you have?  Her design has about 3 feet of walking space on the sides (all four).  Does that sound sufficient?  We have a screened porch that will be adjacent to the spa/deck so there are no immediate plans for table or chairs on the deck.  

She thinks most folks will come inside the porch when they are not in the tub, instead of hanging around the tub.  How does that compare to your experiences?

Any other input about a deck will be helpful.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

DW is designing a deck.
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:38:59 am »

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
Re: DW is designing a deck.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:09:11 am »
Might consider putting the tub towards the corner of the deck and then have 6 feet available on the two remaining sides. Never hurts to have a little more room than you think you might need. Have to leave room for the steps and cover lifter and you may want a towel tree or perhaps a small table or shelf near the tub to put drinks or other items on. Room for a plant or two to dress it up a bit. Just never know when a little extra space is useful!
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

cappykat

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 10:41:37 am »
I agree...better to have too much than too little.
2005 Marquis Epic

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 06:12:58 pm »
My tub is sunken about 18" and I have a lot of room on 2 sides and about 1 1/2' on one side and about a foot on another.

The most important area IMO is the side with the electronics and pumps. That's probably the area that you'll need to get to. In my case the side with a foot clearance has a pump under the filter ... I'm hoping that won't need too much service.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 06:15:01 pm »
My question is, about how much deck space around the spa do some of you have?  Her design has about 3 feet of walking space on the sides (all four).  Does that sound sufficient?  

That certainly sounds sufficient.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bwbski22

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 06:20:09 pm »
what is a DW a Drunken Wife?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 06:37:10 pm »
what is a DW a Drunken Wife?

I think he means darling or damn or domineering or dear but maybe you're right too.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bwbski22

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 06:55:18 pm »
there is no way id ever let a DW design a deck.  lol

96SC

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 09:08:12 am »

I think he means darling or damn or domineering or dear but maybe you're right too.

Darling or dear, of course.  (the other two options apply occasionally)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

anne

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 09:33:54 pm »
Personally I'd want more space around the tub than that, because if you ever DID want to sit around outside the screen room, you'd be much more comfortable.

I also think asthestically it would look better if the deck/tub were not symmetrical- maybe have only 1.5-2 feet of deck on two sides of the tub, but have quite a bit more on the other two sides.

Do you want room out there for a fire pit? (not on the deck, obviously) BBQ? Plants?

Anne
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 09:33:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42