What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coleman Spa in the summer time.  (Read 15169 times)

spaman-

• "ANYTHING GOES AS LONG AS ITS FUNNY"-SPATECH-
Re: Coleman Spa in the summer time.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 01:56:34 pm »

I agree with Hymbaw, call your dealer to discuss this. Tubs do get hotter in the summer heat but unless you're in Death Valley 114º sounds like you may have another issue besides just the outside temp.

It is very common in the Phoenix area for this to happen. I dont know where th auther is but its common. As far as the heat sensor out question, the answer is most likely no, the heat is from the cabinet being insulated in a fashion that theres no way for the heat to escape and the filtration cycles are generating too much heat causing it to all transfer to the water . Thats just from my experience as a past owner of a Coleman 455 ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 02:02:12 pm by spaman.com »
-SpaMan~

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 01:56:34 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 02:06:04 pm »

It is very common in the Phoenix area for this to happen. I dont know where th auther is but its common.

I agree, we can't really say wihtout knowing where the spa is located. Phoneix, Death Valley, Vegas and a few other garden spots will drive spa temps that high. If the spa isn't in that type of sweltering heat, I'd start to wonder if there may be an issue.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 02:28:28 pm »
Put the spa in sleep mode.

Make sure the clock on the control panel is set to the right time. If your time is wrong it may be possible that you're filtering more hours than you realize.

Adjust your filter times to three hours each in the coolest part of the day. I have mine comming on at 2am-5am, and 8pm to 11pm and put a tennis ball under the cover to let the heat escape from the water.

IF THIS DOES NOT WORK CALL YOUR DEALER YOU MAY HAVE A FAULTY HEATER OR HEAT SENSOR.

Venissa

• Proud owner of a Coleman model 461
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 03:02:06 pm »
I am in Georgia.......the heat and humidity are TERRIBLE!
I think the Coleman is so well insulated that no heat can escape so it keeps the temp way to hot.  I dont think it is a problem with a sensor or the heater.
Anyway, thanks for all the posts - as stated previously I have drained it and will refill this fall.  Next year I will try the tennis balls under the cover - maybe that will work so I can use it in the summer months.

Still waiting to see if anyone has a suggestion for cleaning the water line where the filter melted and caused a blue substance build up...I dont know what to use to get it off that will not damage the hot tub surface.

Thanks again for all the wonderful advise.
Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water.

spaman-

• "ANYTHING GOES AS LONG AS ITS FUNNY"-SPATECH-
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 12:58:12 pm »
Are you able to post a pic of the "blue substance" ? tha wil help us decipher what it may be and where its located. Thanks!
-SpaMan~

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 01:11:25 pm »
Put the spa in sleep mode.

Make sure the clock on the control panel is set to the right time. If your time is wrong it may be possible that you're filtering more hours than you realize.

Adjust your filter times to three hours each in the coolest part of the day. I have mine comming on at 2am-5am, and 8pm to 11pm and put a tennis ball under the cover to let the heat escape from the water.

IF THIS DOES NOT WORK CALL YOUR DEALER YOU MAY HAVE A FAULTY HEATER OR HEAT SENSOR.

With a Coleman you can specify what hours, not just how many, filtration is done? Sounds like a neat feature in cases like this.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Venissa

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 02:17:33 pm »
Will post tomorrow........stay tuned.

Are you able to post a pic of the "blue substance" ? tha wil help us decipher what it may be and where its located. Thanks!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 02:37:01 pm »
Filter melted?  That sounds way beyond what hot water should have caused.  A deep blue the same color as the ends of the filter?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 03:04:51 pm »
The filter ends melted?  WTF? I'm not sure, but a quick google suggest the melting point of plastic to be AT LEAST  above 150 F.  Something is screwy.  

Also, if the tub is reaching temps that high just sitting in the sun, is it a good for the shell to be sitting without any water in it?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 03:09:04 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 03:13:19 pm »
Also, if the tub is reaching temps that high just sitting in the sun, is it a good for the shell to be sitting without any water in it?

Thats how Pheonix cures their spas!

You know someone was going to said it. As a disclaimer, I'm making a joke regarding previous posted pictures, I've never seen a Pheonix Spa  ;)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 03:18:45 pm »
I find it difficult to belive the platic filter ends have melted.  If they did,  I don't think you'd have a blue line around the tub, wouldn't you find melted plastic in the water not a film on the water line.

I am lead to believe the blue line is somehting else (Chemical?)

Assume the plastic is a ployurathane material, it's melting point is above the boiling point of water.

07 Caldera Geneva

Venissa

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 04:18:43 pm »
Heck If I know.......its the same color as the plastic on the filter so I assumed thats where it came from....and the filter looks like it melted......I will post pics of all tomorrow - maybe that will help shed some light.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 04:23:33 pm »
Heck If I know.......its the same color as the plastic on the filter so I assumed thats where it came from....and the filter looks like it melted......I will post pics of all tomorrow - maybe that will help shed some light.

If your filter melted plastic, I'd shut the tub off and get a tech out thier.  If heat did it. then it's dangeroulsy hot. If it's a corrosive effect, then you don't want to be in the water.
07 Caldera Geneva

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2006, 09:46:44 pm »
I live just north of Georgia and our weather here is similar to yours in that state.  I have a full foamed tub and although I have adjusted the heater to 101, it was still climbed up to 103 so I changed the setting from "standard" to "economy" so that filtration cycles were further apart.  This worked for me andmy Jacuzzi. Does the Coleman have such an option?  Days are hot and humid but the evenings are pretty nice(usually)
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 02:04:00 am »

Phoneix, Death Valley, Vegas and a few other garden spots will drive spa temps that high.

I'm still laughing at the term "garden spots". Very funny.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 02:04:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42