What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coleman Spa in the summer time.  (Read 15170 times)

Venissa

• Proud owner of a Coleman model 461
Coleman Spa in the summer time.
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:21:58 pm »
I have a coleman model 461 Spa......We wanted to use the hot tub in the summer nights......But the hot tub is soooooo hot ranging between 109 and 114 degrees F......Is there anyway to cool a hot tub so it can be used comfortable in the summer or is a hot tub only good for winter months?  Reading the owners manual there is no way to turn the header off completely so I cant cool with cold water because it will cause the header to turn on.  If I cant use in the summer, can I drain this hot tub during the summer and wait to refill in the winter?  Will it hurt anything for it not to have water in it during the summer months?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:25:58 pm by Venissa »
Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water.

Hot Tub Forum

Coleman Spa in the summer time.
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:21:58 pm »

spaman-

• "ANYTHING GOES AS LONG AS ITS FUNNY"-SPATECH-
Re: Coleman Spa in the summer time.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 03:24:21 pm »
Place a tennis ball under two corners of the cover it will prop the cover open and vent the heat out , I have exra clips to accomodate the extra height so I can still lock the cover. good luck!
-SpaMan~

Venissa

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 03:27:20 pm »
Is the cover being on it what makes it so hot?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:42:42 pm »

A large part of it yes.  I'm not familiar with the Coleman Controls, but I bet one of the Coleman dealers might speak up. In the summer I turn down the length of the filter cycle so the pump is running less. I also go out 1/2 hour before we want to soak and open the cover.  what is yours set at?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

96SC

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 03:47:00 pm »
Venissa

Go to page 3 in the Hot Tub forum and look up, 'Hello, I'm New!' by VV.  There may be a little info in the threads that can help you.

Good Luck.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 03:48:24 pm »
I live in Tucson (very hot) and I have a big swing umbrella that I put over the spa.  This helps control the temperature.  I have a 20,000 gallon pool and the water temperature is already 90 degrees.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:48:56 pm by marks »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 03:50:35 pm »
What kind of temperature controls do you have?
Can you dial the thermostat down to 90 degrees or something like that?  I think we can turn our Optima down to as low as 80.  
That'll keep your heater off.  
Your pumps will also contribute some heat when they run, so another possiblility is to reduce filtering time, but not so much that your water gets bad.
Prop the cover open and try to keep direct sunlight off the spa are other tricks.  
Brewman

wetone

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 03:54:40 pm »

It could be the filter cycle if set to more then 2 hours per cycle.
Also you can set the spa to filter late at night and early in the morning when it's not that hot outside.

I have a Dimension One Chairman II, and it did the same thing until I set the filter times to early am and late pm.

On mine I turn the heater off, and still it keeps the temp at around 100F during the summer. To cool it down we open the cover for a few hours and the temp drops.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 04:03:35 pm »
I have a Coleman 461 and what I do is set it to economy in the summer so that it won't heat unless it hits a certain temp. I also put a tennis ball on each corner under the cover to keep it from getting to hot.

I've never heard of a hot tub getting that hot though mine will only go to 106 top temp

Venissa

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 07:55:21 pm »
I turned the controls to sleep mode and according to the user manual in sleep mode the heater and pump would only operate during a filtration cycle to maintain the water temp 20 degrees F below the set temp.......I kept the temp set at 80 degrees F......but the temp would still remain extremely high.........I ended up draining it yesterday and noticed a blue substance around where the water line was - come to find out when I took the filter out the bottom of the filter had melted.....I guess from the extreme heat.  So now I have a new problem....can anyone tell me what I can use to clean the blue plastic like substance from around the tub without damaging the surface?  I plan to leave it drained until this fall - letting it set without water will not hurt anything will it?  

Venissa

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 08:04:21 pm »
I checked out this thread and funny - I am in Georgia too - maybe we are just to hot and humid to try to use a hot tub in the summer time.

Venissa

Go to page 3 in the Hot Tub forum and look up, 'Hello, I'm New!' by VV.  There may be a little info in the threads that can help you.

Good Luck.

georgiapeach

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 08:15:00 am »
Venissa,

I have a Hot Springs Grandee...live in Warner Robins GA....the weather has been particuarly HOT right now.  I put the temp on my hot tub at around 98-99 and use the tennis balls to prop the cover.  It really does help control the temp.  If I don't prop the cover, then the temp can get up to 105 or higher with the sun beating down on the cover in the afternoon.  Good Luck!

Peachy

I checked out this thread and funny - I am in Georgia too - maybe we are just to hot and humid to try to use a hot tub in the summer time.

hymbaw

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 11:49:24 am »
Get a service tech out there. It shouldn't get that hot!

High Limit sensor out??
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 11:57:15 am »
But the hot tub is soooooo hot ranging between 109 and 114 degrees F......

I agree with Hymbaw, call your dealer to discuss this. Tubs do get hotter in the summer heat but unless you're in Death Valley 114º sounds like you may have another issue besides just the outside temp.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 01:52:23 pm »
If your water is getting so hot that it is melting the plastic piece on the filter you've got a problem hun. That should not do that. get a tech out quick!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 01:52:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42