What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Hygene.  (Read 6070 times)

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Spa Hygene.
« on: July 06, 2006, 09:25:59 am »
Hello

I was wondering about showering before going into the tub.

I have read about soap on the skin causing foaming, so does one just shower without shampoo and stuff before going into the tub, or not shower altogether?

And how about that special time of the month for the ladies, should they stay out of the tub?

Sorry for the gross question.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Hygene.
« on: July 06, 2006, 09:25:59 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Spa Hygene.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:47:21 am »
Shampoo shouldn't be an issue.  All hair on the head should be kept out of the tub.  Rule 1 in my spa, is no head dunking.  We use Zest at our house to keep the soapy residue to a minimum.   Coast (soap) works well to.   The only shower required is if guest use a moisturizer on their legs or arms that day.

Thats us anyway. I get 3-4 months on a water change.

Suits are ran through the washer with no detergent, and are only used for the hot tub.  I have a seperate pool suit.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brookenstein

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:44:50 am »
We shower in the morning, tub at night.  The only exception to this is when we've been working on the house/yard and are all sweaty and nasty.... then we will shower before using the tub.

I am vertically challenged and can not keep my hair out of the water.  We have never gotten any foam from my shampoo/conditioner.  We do let the kids dunk when they are in the tub, but they are boys with fairly short hair and only get in the tub bout 2x month.

We use the tub all month, has never been an issue.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:36:11 am »
Your hot tub is suppose to be for fun not something to worry about.  Take a shower, don't take a shower.  Hair in the water no hair in the water.  A little moisterizer, no moisterizer.  Water is cheap.  If you need to change the water every 2 months its not a big thing.  Most important is to relax and have fun!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:10:54 pm »
Not getting the hair in the water has another issue for me.

When we were getting ready to go on our cruise it seemed like there was a story about someone falling off a cruise ship. I could dismiss that, most or all of them were idiots.

But in the months before we bought there were a few hot tub stories in the news. One of them was a 10 year old girl drowning because of getting her hair caught while she was under water. I don't remember if it was caught on an intake or a jet.   I could see it happening on a jet easily enough.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 01:14:27 pm »
Your hot tub is suppose to be for fun not something to worry about.  Take a shower, don't take a shower.  Hair in the water no hair in the water.  A little moisterizer, no moisterizer.  Water is cheap.  If you need to change the water every 2 months its not a big thing.  Most important is to relax and have fun!

Well,  changing the water every two months can be a problem for folks who live in a cold climate.  I don't recomend doing a full change out in the middle of Feb  in Fargo, ND. :^)

Folks who have freezing winters need to know how to manage thier water correctly and be able to get several months out of  it before having to dump it.

The good news is, water care is pretty simple and straight forward.  

I don't like suits in my tub because of the foam (and the chems needed to clear it up).  But for somefolks wearing a suit can't be avoided.  If you can super rinse your suits that will be a big help.  Close friends who use my tub a lot know that I like super clean suits and they try to bring along a well rinsed suit when then come over, but I don't make a big deal about it.

Hair is very dirty (imho) Hairspray, gels, conditioners,  and I don't let people dunk thier heads.

I don't require people to shower before using the tub, but I wont use the tub if I am filthy or sweaty (I will shower first if thats the case)  My wife who uses a TON of moisturizers will shower  most of the time before hitting the tub. (esp so in the winter, when/if I lose the water quality a full change out is out of the question).

I can't answer the female questions for you....my wife has had a hysterectoym and it's a non issue for us.  Maybe a female member can PM you?

To sum up, I'm not a tub nazi, but I am careful.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 01:15:37 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 01:51:38 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.

I see drewstar is the only one with the balls to at least acknowledge the "female" question. ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 01:54:20 pm »

I see drewstar is the only one with the balls to at least acknowledge the "female" question. ;D

You don't need balls to answer the question....in fact, just the opposite.  ;)

07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 02:01:56 pm »

Hmmm.... I could've swarn I answered the question by saying we used the tub all month long.  Guess by not being graphic it was missed.

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 02:03:59 pm »
You hit send before I did Brookenstein :)

I was going to say that Brokkenstein very eloquently answered your question in her reply by stating she is in the tub all month long with no problems.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 02:04:43 pm by tmknies1 »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 04:17:48 pm »

I completely agree!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 05:28:07 pm »
The hair entrapment issue (actually any entrapment issue) is a function of the suction ports. I guess hair can get caught on the swirly jets and get tangled onto those jets but they really don't have any sharp edges to get hair caught on (at least mine don't).

As far as hair care products, I can see that screwing up the water and something I have observed with my kids ... when we first got the tub they put their heads under water and both of them got ear infections at the same time ... made me wonder what was in my tub to give them that!

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 06:22:07 pm »

You don't need balls to answer the question....in fact, just the opposite.  ;)

LOL

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 06:23:43 pm »

Hmmm.... I could've swarn I answered the question by saying we used the tub all month long.  Guess by not being graphic it was missed.

Sorry, I am a male. We need a picture drawn and a finger pointing us in the right direction. Subtlety goes over our heads.

I appreciate your answer. Thank you.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 08:14:34 pm »
How's this....if a woman uses corks, it should be cool. If she uses small, white rafts during the time, I'm thinking "not so much".  ;D
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 08:14:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42