What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ALPS SPAS  (Read 35140 times)

vangoghsear

Re: ALPS SPAS
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 08:20:11 am »
I found a bit on one of the models about the insulation,

From their "Aspen" Poly model:

1" foam backed panels
    Reflective heat barrier
    2lb. spray foam insulation

Nothing on fasteners, but the warranty seems to pretty much average for the industry:

From the Aspen model owner's manual:

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS EXTENDED TO THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF A
TETON XLS, CIARA XLS, K2 XLS, Tigra XLS OR SWIM SPA MANUFACTURED BY ALPS
SPAS AFTER DECEMBER 1 2005, AND INSTALLED IN NORTH AMERICA
ALPS SPAS are warranted against defects in the spa shell due to defects in workmanship and/or
materials for Lifetime from the original date of sale
ALPS SPAS are warranted against blistering, cracking, or delaminating of the interior surface of
the spa due to defects in workmanship and/or materials for (5) five years from the original date of
sale
ALPS SPAS plumbing components are warranted against water loss due to defects in
workmanship and/or materials for (5) fi ve years from the original date of sale. One year labor.
ALPS SPAS electrical equipment components (pumps, heater, and control system) are warranted
against malfunction due to defects in workmanship and/or materials for (3) three years from
original date of sale and (2) years pro-rated at 50% of current retail price. One year labor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARRANTIES FOR OTHER COMPONENTS. Light bulbs, fuses, headrests, fi lters,
and cabinet finish are warranted to be free of defects in workmanship and/or materials at the
time of delivery only. All other factory-installed components including but not limited to the
cabinet, jets, diverter valves, and ozonator are warranted against malfunction due to defects in
workmanship and materials for (1) one year from the date of sale. Spa covers are warranted to
be free of defects in workmanship and materials for (2) two years.
WARRANTY LIMITATIONS. This Limited Warranty is void if (a) ALPS SPAS or its
designated representative determines that the spa has been subject to alteration, neglect, or
misuse, or any freight damages. (b) The failure is caused by an accident, “Act of God” or other
cause beyond the control of ALPS SPAS. (c) Failure to maintain proper water chemistry and
chemical balance, use of abrasive or improper spa cleaners. This warranty does not provide
coverage for any item attached or installed on the spa after the date of manufacture. (d)
Residential hot tubs used in commercial applications are excluded from any warranty. The spa
owner accepts liability for any repair work performed by anyone other than the manufacturer or a
designated service technician.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
page

Photo in the Aspen model book also showed a FloMaster XP2 pump.

And the Balboa controller illustrated is an EL/GL 2000. according to the owner's manual for those models.

Still doesn't sound like it sucks as bad as the description.  But as we all know, the warranty stands still while it is being written.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 08:20:11 am »

JohnnyK45

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 11:44:10 am »
Two things I would do if I were the owner of Alps Spas..

1. Have the "Dealers" page up and running; coming soon, as a potential client seeing this right now, I'd move on.

2. The website looks too much like a Go Daddy freebie site; this can be easily fixed by adding some photos of the factory floor, or shots of the production process, or of some of the staff, or even the outside of any building - or shots of clients with your tubs in their yard (a real gallery page) - just something other than stock photos, personalize that sucker and show yourself in a better light.  If money allows, a simple, short and to the point video on your home page about your product or review, etc. would be good too.

J

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »
The spas on that site don't look too bad.  I didn't like the owner's attitude coming in here and ordering the removal.

If Term wants to delete it, or have me delete it fine.  We don't sensor opinions on hot tub related topics.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

vangoghsear

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 04:15:27 pm »
The spas on that site don't look too bad.  I didn't like the owner's attitude coming in here and ordering the removal.

If Term wants to delete it, or have me delete it fine.  We don't sensor opinions on hot tub related topics.
I agree with you on not taking it down.  Even if they have improved, if they once produced crappy products they have a long row to hoe to get their reputation straightened out and it is not the website's responsibility to do it for them.

I also agree that their website would drive me away.  I had a tough time finding the warranty and any insulation information and I still don't know how they're constructed.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 06:12:46 am »

It sounded to me like Terms post was an experience not an opinion.
Retired

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 09:44:20 am »
I agree with Roger: Chris was simply posting about his personal experience and what he found when he went to the customer's home and tried to help.

You really can't argue with any of it.

IF they have changed things, let them come and tell us about it - show us what the NEW features are all about.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 10:22:29 am »
He hasn't been back since.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 07:46:07 am »
He hasn't been back since.

I'm sure he is reading this thread. He hasn't been back because he got called out. We shall see what kind of person he is if he does come back. Might say a lot about the company.
Retired

Chilkie

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 04:09:50 pm »

Good day to you folks. I ran across this forum while doing a search on Alps Spas. I read this thread with a bit of interest as approximately a decade ago I actually owned an Alps Spa which I purchased new from a dealer located in the Atlanta area. The name of the dealer was Extreme Pools and Spas. They promptly folded approximately a year after I purchased the spa.

While the dealership experience was sketchy at best even when they were around, the actual Spa I owned was very nice. I owned it for just around three years until I sold the home where it was located.

There were effectively two reasons I purchased an Alps. First, the "bang for the buck" seemed to be very good. I bought one the dealer had in stock and they were willing to let it go for a VERY reasonable price compared to other spas I had priced (probably because they were trying to financially tread water at the time I assume). Second, they were manufactured just outside of Atlanta in Gwinnett county so I could go directly to the factory if I needed assistance. The spa required service twice during those three years. The first was immediately following hook up when an air bubble clogged the lines. The second was approximately ten months into ownership when I had a problem with the control panel buttons. The factory sent somebody out to fix it immediately both times.

As for insulation, I did not see a giant rise in my electric bill at the time. Now, as to whether or not the spa was as well insulated as others I could not say. I'm not an expert on this matter. It seemed moderately well insulated to me. I have moved a few times since then (I now reside in Tennessee and have very small children) and two of the homes I have owned have had hot tubs. Due to having the children we almost never used these two spas. One was a Dynasty (which was fine) and the other is a Leisure Bay (which has never worked and I believe will be chopped up and taken off the back porch in pieces in the next few months). The Alps seemed sturdier and better finished than either of these. As I was younger and single (with much more free time) when I owned the Alps I used my spa quite a bit back then. I even met the owner of the company at the Atlanta home show one time (I believe his first name was Jack....although I will never remember his last name).

I realize that I have not provided a whole lot of information to go on and since I am a new member to this board that some will take my offering with a grain of salt. However, I simply wanted to impart my experience to you folks. Whether or not Alps makes a good product today...I honestly have no idea. I would look at them again due to my experience in the past. I simply wanted to share my experience (although in some ways it seems like I owned that spa a lifetime ago) with people who may be researching spas themselves.

Best of luck to all of you folks

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 11:26:38 pm »
Just a couple of notes:

they STILL do not have a single dealer listed on their web site. And it STILL says "under construction."

Also - and this is just a little fun note: they have a cover lift listed on their accessory page. Shown with a picture of a little girl opening the cover on a HotSpring Portable Spa  :o :o :o

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 12:12:55 am »
It's a stock picture, from the coverlift manufacturer (Leisure Concepts)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

s.thompson

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 11:55:53 am »
I own an old Coleman spa that reached its end. My sister has had an Alps Spa for about five years and i love it. I am going to give them a shot. I bought an Everest and should be getting it installed it installed in the next few weeks. Happy to post pics or feedback once i receive it.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 01:55:10 pm »

Good day to you folks. I ran across this forum while doing a search on Alps Spas. I read this thread with a bit of interest as approximately a decade ago I actually owned an Alps Spa which I purchased new from a dealer located in the Atlanta area. The name of the dealer was Extreme Pools and Spas. They promptly folded approximately a year after I purchased the spa.

While the dealership experience was sketchy at best even when they were around, the actual Spa I owned was very nice. I owned it for just around three years until I sold the home where it was located.

There were effectively two reasons I purchased an Alps. First, the "bang for the buck" seemed to be very good. I bought one the dealer had in stock and they were willing to let it go for a VERY reasonable price compared to other spas I had priced (probably because they were trying to financially tread water at the time I assume). Second, they were manufactured just outside of Atlanta in Gwinnett county so I could go directly to the factory if I needed assistance. The spa required service twice during those three years. The first was immediately following hook up when an air bubble clogged the lines. The second was approximately ten months into ownership when I had a problem with the control panel buttons. The factory sent somebody out to fix it immediately both times.

As for insulation, I did not see a giant rise in my electric bill at the time. Now, as to whether or not the spa was as well insulated as others I could not say. I'm not an expert on this matter. It seemed moderately well insulated to me. I have moved a few times since then (I now reside in Tennessee and have very small children) and two of the homes I have owned have had hot tubs. Due to having the children we almost never used these two spas. One was a Dynasty (which was fine) and the other is a Leisure Bay (which has never worked and I believe will be chopped up and taken off the back porch in pieces in the next few months). The Alps seemed sturdier and better finished than either of these. As I was younger and single (with much more free time) when I owned the Alps I used my spa quite a bit back then. I even met the owner of the company at the Atlanta home show one time (I believe his first name was Jack....although I will never remember his last name).

I realize that I have not provided a whole lot of information to go on and since I am a new member to this board that some will take my offering with a grain of salt. However, I simply wanted to impart my experience to you folks. Whether or not Alps makes a good product today...I honestly have no idea. I would look at them again due to my experience in the past. I simply wanted to share my experience (although in some ways it seems like I owned that spa a lifetime ago) with people who may be researching spas themselves.

Best of luck to all of you folks

I am wondering if this was creatively written by the marketing department in hopes that anyone that found this thread by Google searching, would see something somewhat positive about the product. This guy hasn't been back since Jan 2013.  Just a thought.  8)
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 01:57:49 pm »
I own an old Coleman spa that reached its end. My sister has had an Alps Spa for about five years and i love it. I am going to give them a shot. I bought an Everest and should be getting it installed it installed in the next few weeks. Happy to post pics or feedback once i receive it.

I would love to see pics of your new installation when you get it in and set up. What part of the country are you in?
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 02:34:41 pm »

I am wondering if this was creatively written by the marketing department in hopes that anyone that found this thread by Google searching, would see something somewhat positive about the product. This guy hasn't been back since Jan 2013.  Just a thought.  8)

Perhaps, you're the marketing department for a competitor of theirs and have been working on getting your post count, waiting for the right time to respond to this in order to discredit them.

Guess we'll never know

Just a thought.  8)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 02:34:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42