What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: adding chems-how long 'till I can get in tub??  (Read 15115 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
adding chems-how long 'till I can get in tub??
« on: June 27, 2006, 07:24:13 am »
Well, I thought I would know it all after reading up here for months!  The tub is here and I can't wait to get in.  Nowhere, in any info I was given, either on the chem bottles or owners manual, does it say when it is safe to enter the water.  >:(  I do know that I can't get in for a while after I shock--how long is a while?  Do I keep testing the chlorine until it reads below 5ppm? (using up my first bottle of test strips!)  Is that usually a few hours or overnight?  If I keep adding all of these different chems, in half-hour increments, half of another day will go by while we are all standing there staring at the nice bubbly water!  :'(  At 6am this morning, I tested and all looks good.  I then added an ounce of Defender as per the directions I was given.  I THINK I am done.  When can we go in?!  I have decided to order that Taylor test kit--then I can test to my heart's content!!
Thanks-
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

adding chems-how long 'till I can get in tub??
« on: June 27, 2006, 07:24:13 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: adding chems-how long 'till I can get in tub??
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:09:41 am »
You should be good to go.  As long as the water is at your desired temperature, and you chlorine isn't too high, I don't see why you can't start soaking.
Don't test your water too often- you'll use up test strips quickly, and it may result in trying to adjust your water too much.  
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:08:18 am »
Agreed.  

Once you get familliar with your water care, you shouldn't be going through as many test strips.  

The big thing is watching the chlorine levels. Soaking in water that has a reading above 5ppm is not recomended. (I liked to see it at 3ppm or less when I soak).

07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 08:15:22 pm »
Boy, do I know that feeling...standing there with fresh, hot water, all inviting and stuff....and wondering what chemicals do you HAVE to put in before the maiden soak, or if you can just soak in tap water that's hot, or what! And then you look at the clock and see it's been so many hours since it's been full, and wonder HOW people manage to fill the tub in the morning and are in it the same night!
The wait (even if it's a day and a half after your first fill) is WORTH IT!!!!!! ;)
RIP C-Rod

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 08:29:02 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with soaking as soon as your water hits your target temperature.  It's brand new water, just don't add a whole load of chlorine before you soak- do it afterwards.  
Brewman

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 09:10:51 pm »
We jumped in the night we got the tub and the next morning too...no reason to wait...when the temp is right..enj ;) ;y!!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 10:24:53 pm »
Yep, the same stuff you take a bath in every night.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 06:17:13 am »
just don't add a whole load of chlorine before you soak- do it afterwards.  

So, the consensus would be that I just need to not have the chlorine above 5ppm.  The rest of the chemicals just float around with you anyway, doing their job?

My dealer had told me to add 1 1/2 oz chlorine right away, after my bottle of metal gone, thus my initial concern about the chemicals floating around.  Turns out we were very busy with gymnastics and baseball, so we ended up waiting until the 2nd day to hop in at noon.  What fun!  We were all in and out for hours.  I wiped off my first ring around the tub!!  Couldn't see it but could feel it.  I'll check it momentarily to see how cloudy it may have gotten overnight.  Today will be the day I try the enzyme bottle!  What a grand experiment.  I really like that I get to figure all of this out now instead of in the cold of winter. :)
2005 HS Vanguard

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 08:36:50 pm »
Congrats! I haven't tried any enzyme products, but I started on dichlor and am now (a couple months later) running bromine...
I had some "issue" with a bit of foam not too long ago, I hit it with a LITTLE bit of foam down product, which works, but I didn't want to overdo it, so I shocked the water, which seems to have worked wonderfully to clear up the rest of the problem.
Best of luck with your experiment, and remember:
if your water gets out of whack and you're not sure what to do, don't be afraid to drain the water and start over! It's sort of a miracle cure....and cheaper than hitting it with all those chemicals!
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 08:36:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42