What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stain & Scale!  Required or just another additive?  (Read 2058 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
Stain & Scale!  Required or just another additive?
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:30:13 am »
I would like to hear if stain and scale is required. Does it help with foam or add to it?  What do all of you dealers recomend?

Hot Tub Forum

Stain & Scale!  Required or just another additive?
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:30:13 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Stain & Scale!  Required or just another addit
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 10:32:02 am »
I would like to hear if stain and scale is required. Does it help with foam or add to it?  What do all of you dealers recomend?

FWIW, (I'm not a dealer). My dealer recomeded using Defender (A stain and scale product) every Other week as part of my normal maitence.   It is my understanding it helps prevent scale from buildng up on the heater.  As far as I know, it  doesn't effect foam one way or the other.

???
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 10:41:20 am »
My water is extremely soft, I haven't used any of this type product in 3 years.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 07:16:32 pm »
I am curious, what if you have standard water; that is water that is not hard but not sofT/

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 08:42:58 pm »
I would think that any product that "defends" against something does so for water that's high in whatever it's defending against.

If you have regular water (fortunately I have Bill's problem  ;D) I think it shouldn't need to have your tub defended against.

I have said that my dealer seems weak in their knowledge of water chemistry. Some dealers may be also, so instead of learning proper water care they issue chems.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:33:36 am »
Stain & Scale control products are only necessary if you can't keep your pH below 7.8.  That's the pH that water drops calcium out at.  Water also drops calcium out faster in warmer temperatures- which is why heaters fail quicker.

If you can manage to keep your pH in balance and have softer water, you can avoid using S&S.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:36:19 am »
Stain & Scale control products are only necessary if you can't keep your pH below 7.8.  That's the pH that water drops calcium out at.  Water also drops calcium out faster in warmer temperatures- which is why heaters fail quicker.

If you can manage to keep your pH in balance and have softer water, you can avoid using S&S.

I have no problem keeping my PH below 7.8

Perhaps I should back off on using the $12.99 bottle of Defender?
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:36:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42