What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Smooth or textured surface?  (Read 10328 times)

bwbski22

Smooth or textured surface?
« on: June 14, 2006, 04:14:09 pm »
what are the pros and cons of both smooth and textured surfaces?  do smooth surfaces scratch?  Dealers, which do you sell more of?

Hot Tub Forum

Smooth or textured surface?
« on: June 14, 2006, 04:14:09 pm »

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
Re: Smooth or textured surface?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 04:30:57 pm »
My spa is smooth and has not scratched at all in 1.5 years of daily adult use.  Of course this adult usually is in his birthday suit when soaking.  Maybe someone sharper than me would have a problem.  ;-)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:33:52 pm »
textures diffidently wear better but thats not to say the smooth will not be fine.....its not like people are getting into a spa with hard sharp objects....the "granite" like surfaces will be the best for wear but the lights are better with smooth lighter color finsihes....

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:56:29 pm »
My wife slipped and fell during the first wet test of a smooth surface spa.  She wasn't thrilled with the smooth ones after that, even though we both thought they looked better.  We bought a textured surface spa.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 05:23:19 pm »
I have smoothe.....

I prefer the looks of smoothe.

IMO smoothe looks more
"up to date" and luxurious.

But I would think smoothe may be more slippery.

I have not slipped in mine yet.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 10:12:58 am by Zep »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 05:53:11 pm »
I have smoothe.....

I prefer the looks of smoothe.

IMO smoothe looks more
"up to date" and luxurious.

But I would think smoothe may be more slippery.

I have not slipped in mine yet.

I think it is affected by water quality, my textured spa can take on some slippery qualities toward the end of the water change.  Sometimes even when the water is good as it is now, I may have to wipe off the top of the tub, which can get slippery if not cleaned.  Under these bad conditions I think the smooth tub would be more slippery, but both are fine when well maintained.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 05:56:13 pm »
I have the textured surface and have been very happy with it, though the smooth surfaces sure look good.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 07:11:29 pm »
I have a smooth surface spa. This discussion came up around the time I was buying my spa and originally I wanted a black granite tub, I ended up with a platinum marble tub. I picked it because I bought the LED light.

With 2 boys I do see some scratches in it under the water line. Both surfaces are made the same way with the same material and I believe that the scratches would be there with the granite but will be a little more hidden.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 07:12:26 pm by Vinny »

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 11:05:08 pm »
I had a smooth surface on my first tub.  I liked it but did find myself slipping a bit at times.  When I replaced the old tub, I didn't think I'd like the textured surface.  It looked too coarse and too rough-looking to be comfortable to sit on.  But when I did a wet test (yet another reason for doing one), I found I liked the textured surface better than the smooth when I was sitting in it.  The other plus with the textured surface came when I found I didn't slip at all.

Bottom line: wet test both!!!

Jim

anne

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 11:46:11 pm »
When I wet tested, I liked the look of smooth better in most brands, and it seemed in general like it was sort of considered premier compared to textured (like HS- their regular line vs "classic." The pearly shiny surface usually looks nicer/fancier. It was also slippery for me for getting in and out of the spas, and for staying in certain seats, but remember that how the seats feel will be different in your back yard if you go in au naturale.

I ended up with a textured surface, but it has a shine/luster to it that I think looks really nice, and feels secure, not slick. I did not like the flat matte look of a lot of textured tubs, but I ended up with a good compromise.
Dance like nobody's watching

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 11:59:46 pm »
The smooth surfaces are gorgeous indeed, but the textured in my opinion are more practical because they are less slippery.  I bought the textured and have been very happy with it.  As other mentioned, I would try to wet test similar both to truly get a feel for it.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 08:34:25 am »
My wife and I wet tested smooth and textured tubs and decided to go with the textured as we were concerned about safety. The textured allows our feet to get a better grip on the surface.
I have to admit a smooth surface does reflect better with the lights but we rarely use the lights.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

hawkman

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 03:26:53 pm »
My smooth surface cracked by caldera. while it wa nice at first, it does scratch easily and shows water spots on the top edges.

96SC

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 12:39:47 pm »
Before reading this thread I never realized there were different textures for spas (We are in the early looking stages).  I looked through several of our spa catalogs (HS, Marquis, L.A. Spa, D1, etc) but none of them mentioned textured vs smooth surface.  Can you usually get a choice of textures in any  shell colors on any of a company's models?

Everytime I look in here I find out something new.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 09:17:28 am »
Actually the acrylic will come in a color that is either smooth or textured but not both. A granite color will be textured and a pearl will be smooth.

It's sometimes hard to tell by the catalogs - and colors can be deceiving as well. My Artesian dealer had samples of the colors as well as tubs in the most "popular" colors and the samples were off on some of the colors due to the manufacturing process.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 09:17:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42