What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Circ Pump Run Time  (Read 4957 times)

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
Circ Pump Run Time
« on: June 15, 2006, 12:17:46 pm »
My filter/circulation pump run time is factory set to go on 4 times a day (every 6 hours) for 30 minutes.  

Any reason to change this?  So far, (knock on wood), all has been clear . . . .             :D

What circumstances would have to exist to change it?
'06 Majesta

Hot Tub Forum

Circ Pump Run Time
« on: June 15, 2006, 12:17:46 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Circ Pump Run Time
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:39:33 pm »
Usually its a balance between economy and clear water.  Tubs like mine run pump #1 on low for filtering. If I set it to continous, my electric bill goes up.  Also in my tub pump #1 comes on low to heat the water.  In summer my heater runs less, so the pump comes on less to heat, so usually my filter cycle is longer.  

What circumstances would have to exist to change it?

If you are comfortable in your water treatment regiment, you can try cutting it back one setting. If you find your water getting cloudy sooner, turn it back up.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:41:11 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 12:52:24 pm »
When my spa was new, my dealer had me set my filter times to one hour, four times per day.  Shortly thereafter I adjusted the times back down to the factory presets of thirty minutes, four times a day and have kept them there without issue.  IMO, if the factory presets keeps your water clear, then no need to increase the times.  If you consistantly get cloudy water then more filter time would be needed.

I have often toyed with the idea of trying fewer minutes, but haven't gone there yet.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 06:35:46 pm »
Tony-

If you spa is like mine ('03 Optima) in addition to your main filtering cycles, we also have the small circ. pump running 24 X 7 thru the microfilter.
That may reduce the need to run the main pumps.

My water stays clear on whatever the factory default setting for the main pump is.

Brewman

cappykat

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:15:30 pm »
I'm not sure what my Marquis Epic was factory set at??    I've changed from standard to economy and programmed the times for 7:30am-8:30am and 7:30pm-8:30pm.  It will filter for 1 hour and heat only during that time.  We generally use at 9:30am and 9:30pm.  After using, the smart clean will come on and I've left that as it was.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:03:32 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

anne

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:03:57 pm »
I realize different manufacturers may have different recommendations, but my dealer recommended having a total of no less than 4-6 hrs total per day of filtration. I have tried 2 hrs for 3 times each day and 2 hrs for 4 times each day and not noted a significant difference. I may try 1 hr 4 times per day as the weather warms up, since I think the pumps running for any length of time will heat the tub up too much.
Dance like nobody's watching

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 10:03:01 pm »
My factory settings are 7-9 am and 4-6 pm with a 10 am cycle/purge (30 seconds)of everything.  Two months in now and everything is looking good.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 10:03:58 pm by watzup »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 03:41:35 pm »
Tony-

If you spa is like mine ('03 Optima) in addition to your main filtering cycles, we also have the small circ. pump running 24 X 7 thru the microfilter.
 That may reduce the need to run the main pumps.

My water stays clear on whatever the factory default setting for the main pump is.

Mine is exactly like that.  I've thought about cutting down to fifteen or twenty minutes x 4 for the main pump.  The factory default is thirty minutes.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 03:54:28 pm »
My factory settings are 7-9 am and 4-6 pm with a 10 am cycle/purge (30 seconds)of everything.  Two months in now and everything is looking good.

What tub do you have that lets you set specific times? This is a feature I didn't consider when I was buying, but sounds nice.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 04:43:54 pm »

What tub do you have that lets you set specific times? This is a feature I didn't consider when I was buying, but sounds nice.

Sundance spas with the LCD controller also let you set specific times.  You set a start time and then a duration time.  This also includes the circ pump.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:44:50 pm by tony »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 04:46:38 pm »
 I like that feature.  Sundance recommends boosting up the filtering that the main pump does when the temperature nears -30F.  

Four filter cycles per day, can go 24 X7 if we want/need.

Plus the flexibility of the circ. pump.
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 04:48:32 pm »
I like that feature.  Sundance recommends boosting up the filtering that the main pump does when the temperature nears -30F.  

Four filter cycles per day, can go 24 X7 if we want/need.

Plus the flexibility of the circ. pump.

Infinite programability.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:49:15 pm by tony »

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 05:44:42 pm »

It is a Vita with a 200 series controller.  You scroll to the time (am or pm) and select to have the pump on or not.  1 hour increments.  In my case I have the 7th and the 8th hour on (am) and the 4th and 5th hour on (pm).  It only allows 1 hour selection.  Of course it cycles through out the day/night when heat is called for.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 08:05:51 pm »
My tub only has a 24 hour circ pump, it was an option when I bought the tub. But it's a big one and according to Artesian it pumps 11 GPM.  I just assumed other circ pumps did what mine does, I guess it might be nice to have an automatic extra cleaning (perhaps after a party)at times... I have to turn the pump on manually.

It seems to do the job great as long as you keep sanitizer levels adequate but I would think any tub (or maybe some tubs) would get cloudy if you go too long without adding sanitizer every so often.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 10:18:05 pm »
OK, now I'm a little confused ... I read the original post by dsegel and the ozonator and why would the circ pump go off when you lower the temp? I can possibly understand the logic if it trips a high limit (although I'm not 100% convinced that this is a good thing) but if you set back the temp?

My circ pump runs 24/7 reguardless of the temp, I've had my tub set to 99 and the water at 105 and the pump is still working. I know the newer Artesians have that feature now of shutting off the pump - can't the water get nasty not filtering?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 10:18:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42