What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: want help switching from dichlor to bromine  (Read 5703 times)

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
want help switching from dichlor to bromine
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:06:54 am »
I would like to switch from dichlor to bromine. I have 400 gal tub, water is about 6 weeks old could someone tell me what chemicals to use  how much and how to go about this.  I have bromate granules which came with tub.   Thanks!   :)

Hot Tub Forum

want help switching from dichlor to bromine
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:06:54 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re:  want help switching from dichlor to bromine
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 11:25:06 am »
Going from dichlor to bromine you don't have to change your water, unless it's time to anyway- you can just stop using dichlor and start using bromine.

Do you have a built in bromine feeder in your spa, or will you need a floater or some other method?

Generally with bromine, you need to add some sodium bromide to the water to establish an initial bromine bank.  Mine was in the form of granules in a small packet- just toss in the required amount.

Then load your bromine dispenser or floater with tablets and set the floater to whatever it recommends on the packaging.  

Shock with dichlor or MPS.  When I was on Bromine I used MPS shock.  I'm pretty sure that you could also shock with dichlor.

Then use whatever test method you choose to monitor your bromine, Ph, alk, etc.....  

Brewman

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 11:41:46 am »
I don't have a built in dispenser.  Does the floater stay in the tub while your useing it? I would think it would tend to be drawn to the filter, or do you take it out?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 01:42:12 pm »
I pulled it out and set it aside while in the spa, and replaced when done with soak.

Brewman

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 02:10:36 pm »
Not drawn to the filter, the floater bounces around the tub when the jets are circulating.  I take mine out when I am in the tub and only mess with it every 3 weeks or so when I refill the tablets.  You will find it very easy to use.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 02:11:15 pm by orlandoguy »

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 03:11:18 pm »
The first thing you ought to do is have your head examined. :-)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:15:06 pm »
I would like to switch from dichlor to bromine. I have 400 gal tub, water is about 6 weeks old could someone tell me what chemicals to use  how much and how to go about this.  I have bromate granules which came with tub.   Thanks!   :)

Why do you want to switch? Are you having problems?
07 Caldera Geneva

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 07:35:27 am »
I think I might be sensitive to the dichlor, I've been having skin irritation since last fall. I have supper cleaned the tub useing methods I've read from this fourm, have been following the "vermonter" method, test daily for TA/PH levels, water is allways clear. My girlfriend has no problem at all, so I think I should try somthing else. A far as my head gos, I think this is the most logical approach considering eveything I've been doing.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 08:20:18 am »
A few questions:

You sound like you haven't had your tub long because of the daily checking of pH/TA.  Certainly you've had it since last fall as you noted.  With that much attention to pH/TA, I assume you use your tub at least once, maybe twice a day, rarely missing a day.....correct?  Also, I'm betting your girlfriend doesn't soak nearly as much as you....correct?  What is your average soak time?  Is your skin irritation over 100% of your body that is submerged when soaking or isolated to specific areas?
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 09:08:38 am »
I think I might be sensitive to the dichlor, I've been having skin irritation since last fall. I have supper cleaned the tub useing methods I've read from this fourm, have been following the "vermonter" method, test daily for TA/PH levels, water is allways clear. My girlfriend has no problem at all, so I think I should try somthing else. A far as my head gos, I think this is the most logical approach considering eveything I've been doing.

Good luck. Please let us know how it works for you, as many folks ask about Bromine vs Dichlor, your expereince will be of great interest.
07 Caldera Geneva

cappykat

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 09:40:44 am »
I had some irritation/drying on the backs of my thighs and thought it was the bromine.  I had dispensor set at 3 and now it's at 1...haven't had any problem since BUT I don't use everyday either.
2005 Marquis Epic

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 11:26:35 am »
It will be two years in oct. that i've had the tub. Basicly first year no porblem, then RASH supper sanitized,drain refill, wait two weeks try to use again rash, used the lysol method suggested on this forum, drain, fill, wait two weeks till rash gos away.  By this time we are getting into winter, forced air furnace, dry skin. Through this whole time my girlfriend has no problem at all and she uses the tub way more than I do. So I don't use the tub all winter just about, I change my water every three months. so in March right after a change I use it and I'm fine, but after about the third time  itch dry spots under arms on back, shins, waist , chin and I would not call this a rash. I have three filters that I rotate. I test alot becuse I want to rule out high or low PH as the cause. I don't know what else to try. Is it possible to develop a sensitivty to dichlor or biproducts?  Heres the kicker, I have a pool and have no problem so far when I swim and didn't last summer either, and had no problem wth the hot tub last summer. I figure it can't hurt to try something different. I know this Dichlor method is easy and my water always looks good, what would you do?  :-/

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 11:43:04 am »
JLB, I tend to believe that part of all skin issues in the tub have to do with the abrasive action of the jets and hot water. It will just pull the natural oils from your skin.
Although, we haven't had that problem (and I use Bromine), I am wondering if it would help for you to shower after using the tub to remove any residual chemicals. Use a moisturizing liquid soap like tone or something with cocoa butter and then use a moisturizer. I swear by Aveeno products, maybe it would be worth it to try to moisturize evey night.
It sounds like a pain but I would do it so not to have to give up the tub. Good luck..and I thought I didn't like bromine but now that I am used to it, it is fine. No odor and crystal clear water with little maintence. ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 03:04:56 pm »
I am also thinking of swithing to Bromine on my next water change.  I am routinely gone for 3 or 4 days a week and when I come back the water is cloudy sometimes.  I think Bromine would solve this issue.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 03:18:56 pm »
JLB,

I apologize for kidding you about what sounds like a more serious problem.  While I would not rule out the use of a different water treatment method, bromine might actually be worse.  Both bromine and chlorine are closely related halogens.  But bromine requires a residual at all times, whereas if you are following the Vermonter's method there should be little to no residual free chlorine during your soaks.  

The first thing that I would suggest is that you consider a consultation with a dermotologist.  The fact that chlorine in pool water does not affect your skin may mean that something else is going on.  I would definitely mention that fact to the doctor if you choose to go see one.

There is a product called Silken that you might consider trying as it is kind to the skin.  This is a product that you add to your spa during a new fill.  It is compatible with both dichlor and bromine.  It makes the water feel softer or more silky and your skin feels that way too when you get out.  Definitely rinse off after exiting the tub and use a moisturizing lotion for your dry skin.

There are also peroxide based sanitizer systems that might be worth considering.  Bacqua Spa (I hope I spelled that right) is one that is readily available that might be worth considering.   It is more expensive than dichlor, but it would constitute a bigger change that your bromine thought and might be the key to a solution for you.  

Good luck, and please keep us informed of developments.  I will try not to be a smartass in the future.

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 03:18:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42