What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question on Summer Mode  (Read 4440 times)

Brookenstein

Question on Summer Mode
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:44:32 am »
I've had my tub on summer mode for the last week.  Our weather here has dropped and so has my tub temp.  My tub temp went all the way down to 89.  I realized that I could actually still adjust my temp even though it was on summer mode.  Is this safe to do?  I guess I originally assumed the summer mode was 80 degrees plus the circ pump didn't run for those 8 hours.  BUT, is it ok to say have the tub set for say 98 and summer mode or does one counter the other and not make it worth it if the heater needs to run.  Is it bad to have the heater on and not the circ pump?  I don't want to f anything up.

TIA.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 10:45:57 am by Brookenstein »

Hot Tub Forum

Question on Summer Mode
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:44:32 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Question on Summer Mode
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:20:28 pm »
My tub doesn't have a summer mode. I lower my setting to 100 and keep it there and let the tub do it's thing. If it's getting too hot, I open the cover. My tub is not in the sun except early in the morning (until 10 AM) and last year I remember once it hit 105. I have also added a little water to cool it down a bit.

I believe that as long as you're controlling the tub with the controller, the tub won't do anythng to self destruct (won't turn heater on if circ pump isn't on). I read to hold the cover open with a couple of tennis balles in the corners.

I know some tubs have an economy mode and the tub won't heat unless it's in the programmed time for the pump to run.

Personally, I like the idea that the tub is ready when I am. I could deal with it being a few degrees cooler and then bumping it up when I think I'm going to use it but I don't use my brain at that level most of the time! ;D I did go into the tub the other day and it was set for 98 and it was cold ... I bumped it to 100 and boy what a difference!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 10:14:42 am »
brook, you're just find.

The summer mode is for our folk in southern states where long high temps exist. Engage the summer mode about 10am one day and it will keep the circ. pump off durring the hottest part of the day.  O.k to leave the temp set wherever you like.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 01:55:09 pm »
Brooke,

Has your water got cloudier since your circ pump is turned off for 8 hours now?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 09:13:11 pm »
Not at all.  Water is exactly as it was a week ago... just a bit cooler during the day, but it tends to warm back up as soon as the circ pump goes back on.  I actually think it might work well as a pool for the kids during the day like this.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 01:05:22 am »
Does the small HS circ pump really add a substantial amount of heat to the water when it's running?

If it's around 90° outside, how much cooler would the spa be in Summer mode versus regular mode? Would it make a difference at 100°?

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 02:35:16 am »
your water may get cloudy in summer mode.  It cuts the amount of water filtered down to around 3400 gallons per day and your turnover ratio down to about 10 times per day for an average spa.  That's pretty low circulation if the spa is getting used.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 08:48:05 am »
I believe, if the circ pump is off, the ozinator is also turned off.
07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 01:51:06 pm »
Gombo,

The week I switched to summer mode... our weather turned to crap so I'm not sure if that had much to do with it or not, BUT my tub was about 98 when it started, within an hour of the circ pump turning off I was about 92.  Typically about an hour or 2 after the circ pump was back on I would be back to 97ish.  One night it was at 95 and it was just too cold to get  in.  The next day it dropped all the way to 89 when the pump was off.

The tub was still getting used 6/7 nights in the week we were in summer mode for about an hour a time by 2 people.  I never noticed a difference in water quality.  I did switch out of summer mode just because I wanted the temp higher for a few days and I wasn't real sure about doing that in summer mode.

Does the small HS circ pump really add a substantial amount of heat to the water when it's running?

If it's around 90° outside, how much cooler would the spa be in Summer mode versus regular mode? Would it make a difference at 100°?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 04:43:56 pm »
How cold did it get in air temp?

My tub's heater was off for about 24 hours in the winter (circ pump was running) and it went down about 4 degrees.

If I remember correctly, it lost 20 degrees (or something like that) in 2 1/2 days or so ... I was even more impressed with Bosco's tub!

I wouldn't think that 8 hours would make that big a difference on the temp but maybe it does. I would think that water staying in the insulated vessel would stay warmer than one circulating.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 05:02:26 pm by Vinny »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 04:43:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42