What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question about spa chems.  (Read 2882 times)

tuggnet

• 2006 HotSpring Grandee
Question about spa chems.
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:16:11 am »
Is Dichlor simply granular chlorine?

Does it really matter if I buy this stuff from my local Home Depot or from my spa dealer?

The spa dealer is quite a bit more expensive.

Hot Tub Forum

Question about spa chems.
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:16:11 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Question about spa chems.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 11:38:50 am »
yes, but don't confuse Dichlor with Trichlor (pool chlorine).

Read the lable. Ensure it says "dichlor"
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 11:46:25 am »
Is Dichlor simply granular chlorine?

While dichlor (Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione) does come in granular form, not all granual chlorine is dichlor.  Calcium Hypochlorite and Lithium Hypochlorite  also come in granular form.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 04:42:16 pm »
What Doc said is true ... you MUST read the label. Walmart sells "spa chlorine" and it's cal hypo not dichlor. Also you need to be aware that some dichlor is less potent than others, it may look the same but the available chlorine (not the amount of dichlor - they almost all read 99% dichlor) could be less and it may not be a bargin.

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:14:29 pm »
Whatever you do, use a product labeled for spa use.  Even though you won't get arrested for using pool chlorine, you are much better off using stuff labeled for spas.  The correct amounts to add are given on spa products.  Pool products will tell you what to add in 10,000 (or there about) gallon increments.

I always use my spa dealer.  Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but they give me the service I want and sometimes need.  Good luck getting that at Home Depot.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:35:36 am »
Whatever you do, use a product labeled for spa use.  Even though you won't get arrested for using pool chlorine, you are much better off using stuff labeled for spas.  The correct amounts to add are given on spa products.  Pool products will tell you what to add in 10,000 (or there about) gallon increments.

I always use my spa dealer.  Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but they give me the service I want and sometimes need.  Good luck getting that at Home Depot.

I disagree.  

I'm not hurting anything by using pool chemicals in my spa.  The ingredients are exactly identical to spa packaged stuff.  

So exactly how would I be much better off by using the teeny bottles of the same stuff?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 08:39:25 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:59:16 am »

I disagree.  

I'm not hurting anything by using pool chemicals in my spa.  The ingredients are exactly identical to spa packaged stuff.  

So exactly how would I be much better off by using the teeny bottles of the same stuff?

I agree with with Brewman - I think there is a general belief that chems aren't the same ... but if it looks like dichlor, smells like dichlor and the label reads dichlor ... it's probably dichlor and it'll be the same or close to the same.

I already store 50 lbs of cal hypo, 10 lbs of trichlor for my pool and whatever else for my spa in my garage, unfortunately I don't belong to Sams ... I belong to BJ's and they sell HTH and no dichlor.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:59:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42