What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pleated filters  (Read 2848 times)

anne

Pleated filters
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:52:45 am »
Is there any real benefit to microban or other antimicrobial additives offered with filters? Is this the same stuff in tub shells that supposedly reduces mold formation? I saw Unicel filters "with microban" online.....hmmmmm.....
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

Pleated filters
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:52:45 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Pleated filters
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 06:40:02 am »
Artesian used microban in their filters for a short period and I have 2 ... they stopped using them and the microban apparently "clog" faster than regular pleater filters.

My advice is to not spend the extra money and get regular filters.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 08:15:28 am »
If you're keeping your water sanitized using standard methods, like dichlor, bromine, ozone, etc...
I don't see what benefit microban filters offer.  Same with microban shells.  Just catering to the bacterial paranoia, or whatevery you want to call it.
Brewman

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 08:16:29 am »
anne, I have been using microban in my arctic for the past year.  Pros and cons.

I dont need to use scale, clarifier etc etc etc. chemicals in my tub ever.  The only chemicals i use is shock, bromine, and alk up.  Thats it.

The microban is great, it filters amazingly.  And the best best part is that I dont need to do any maitenance on the filter at all.  No cleaning, no soaking in chemicals or rinsing.  I just put one in and take it out when I am done.

Cons,

They are rated to last 3 to 4 months.  I have been noticing that sure they will but they begin to break down in the tub after about 3 months.  So I change mine every 3 months.  

I have been up and running since August 2005.  9 months and I am just starting my 4th filter.  

I am not sure of all the costs but this method is most likely more expensive.  I pay 90.00 canadian for 3 filters.  I have no clue the cost involved in pleated filters however, I dont mind the cost for less work.  If I never have to worry about it and dont have to do those extra steps to clean the filter then I say it is money well spent.

Arctic makes there own microban, actually it will be repackaged by someone else.  Give it a try for 3 months and see what you think.  I have not had one water issue since I have had the tub.  It is always clear and low maitenance.

Good luck

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:25:35 am »
Bosco,

I think you're talking about a micro filter. Microban is a chemical they treat traditional filters(and spa shells) with to kill bacteria.

Anne,

Like Brewman said, if you maintain proper sanitizer levels there is no need for Microban. Save your money.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

anne

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:21:45 pm »
Bosco,

I think you're talking about a micro filter. Microban is a chemical they treat traditional filters(and spa shells) with to kill bacteria.

Anne,

Like Brewman said, if you maintain proper sanitizer levels there is no need for Microban. Save your money.

Yes, i think Bosco uses the Micropure filters that Arctic provides as a standard. I started with that, but due to my hard water, I feel more comfortable adding Defender weekly to prevent scale, and that is not compatible with the Micropure disposable type. When I spoke with a micropure rep about it, he said not to worry about scale and just replace my heater element in a few years! N0 thanks. I like the ease of the micropure, but it's not best for me.

Sounds like I'll be ordering a plain ol' Unicel w/o microban!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 03:44:32 pm »
I hope you hit that guy over the head with a microban filter when he told you to trash your spa heater.
Sheesh.....
Brewman

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:41:14 pm »
Anne,

I noticed that the Arctic manual says to only use Stain and Scale inhibitor in cases of extremly hard water (for example: well water).  It almost seems like the Micropure filter eliminates the need for Stain and Scale inhibitor.

anne

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 06:20:52 pm »
Anne,

I noticed that the Arctic manual says to only use Stain and Scale inhibitor in cases of extremly hard water (for example: well water).  It almost seems like the Micropure filter eliminates the need for Stain and Scale inhibitor.

Yeah, there is conflicting info out there for sure.

Arctic says to use stain and scale for hard water- mine is about 500- basically well water.

The Arctic manual does NOT say anything about Micropure and Stain and scale not being compatible, but the micropure website and its reps say "no no."

Micropure's website and it's reps vaguely indicate that Micropure "eliminates the need for stain and scale" by helping to remove "minerals", but when I asked directly if the filter was removing calcium from my water, he said no. (duh). Then the heater comment. (double duh) They are coming out with something, maybe this summer, that will remove calcium. I'm keeping my eyes open.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 06:20:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42