What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Killer Bee, uh, killer  (Read 3716 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Killer Bee, uh, killer
« on: June 01, 2006, 08:41:51 pm »
We found a huge swarm of bees flying around today, and by this afternoon they had found a pipe they particularly liked, and they began building a hive. There had to be thousands and thousands of them, and I didn't want them around. I tried asking nicely - no response.

:P

I called a friend of mine who is a bee keeper calls himself an apiarist. He said, "take one quart of liquid dish soap and four quarts of water. Put 'er in a Hudson sprayer and wait until just after dark. They will not be flying, and they should not come at you. Just spray 'em down - soak 'em good. They'll all die."

Wow- and it cleans spa covers great, too!

My son went and got the weapons of mass bee destruction, but we couldn't wait till dark. We went out and gave it a shot when they were all very still in the heat of the day. MAN! They were dropping like flies - uh Bees, I guess... They got a little upset and the non-soapy ones did fly around us a bit, but no stings. I mean half the hive just hit the ground!

We got them as good as we could, and retreated. A couple followed us inside, but they were very slow, and finally dropped.

I just went out to give them another dose and there sure weren't very many left. Soaked 'em again. I don't think we'll have anymore trouble with that bunch.

Soap! Who knew? I pass this on because spas do sometimes attrack the critters. I have read here and heard from my own customers about nesting in the tub, cover, motor compartment or cabinet - here's your answer, and I don't think it could be much more Earth Friendly.

::)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

Killer Bee, uh, killer
« on: June 01, 2006, 08:41:51 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Killer Bee, uh, killer
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:53:13 pm »
I had bees (yellow jackets) in the uprights of my above ground pool and bought the wasp and bee killer from Ortho (I think). It foamed for about 10 min and any bee that touched it was writhering and died ... I was amazed how many bees were in those uprights!

But I like the soap idea ... does it matter on the brand? ;) ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 09:12:30 pm »
Nope. Any old soap.

I used whatever they had in the cleaning isle of Lowes - think it was Palmolive or similar.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 10:43:51 pm »
I have used soapy water for years.  Put a tablespoon or so of dish liquid in a large plastic cup, fill with warm water, and throw it on 'em.  You can "fling" it very accurately up to the eaves of the house, under the uprights on the pool, or into the equipment bay of the spa you are working on.

anne

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 02:15:41 am »
I had bees (yellow jackets) in the uprights of my above ground pool....

Not trying to sound like a crazy animal person, but there is a big difference between bees and yellow jackets. A lot of times bees will swarm, make an inconvenient temporary home as a new queen gets established, but move on in a few days. They are not aggressive and can be good bugs to have around! Yellow jackets and other wasps are a lot more aggresive, carnivorous and I would not hesitate to kill off a hive, either. Just my 2 cents.
Dance like nobody's watching

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 06:42:45 am »
I didn't realize that yellow jackets were wasps and not bees ... I knew they were nasty and didn't produce quantities of honey like the blck and yellow bumble bees.

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 07:19:09 am »
We had a yellow jacket problem last year or the year before in the house.  Called an exterminator.  They told me that these little buggers will come back to build the hive in the same place.  We have a service with the exterminator so they just come back and spray where these guys tend to hang out at our place and spray some sort of stuff that prevents them from wanting to build the hive there in the first place.  So....be careful, cuz they may be back!

anne

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 02:05:30 pm »
I didn't realize that yellow jackets were wasps and not bees ... I knew they were nasty and didn't produce quantities of honey like the blck and yellow bumble bees.

Here's some kinda cool info and photos. Some of it is silly, but its a quick read.

http://www.pbase.com/victorengel/image/35090929

http://animalreviews.zelica.net/reviews/beewasp.htm
Dance like nobody's watching

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 02:30:19 pm »
Nope. Any old soap.

Chas, You should call Steve H. and suggest that they private label it as FreshWater BeeGone.   ;)

( Just remember, you heard it here first.)   ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 05:28:38 pm »
Very nice Anne!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 05:28:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42